Senior Software Engineer (Freelance)2020 - 2021US Media Enterprise
Technologies: TypeScript, Node.js, Kubernetes, CI/CD Pipelines, Terraform, AWS, React, Next.js
- Improved the production release cadence from once a month to multiple times per day by introducing PR previews, heavy automation and optimization, and convenient deploy commands.
- Served as a lead pipeline and release engineer across several Node.js and Next.js projects.
- Led and executed TypeScript, React, and Node.js development and two major migrations from Create React App to Next.js to support SSR and improve web vitals.
- Administered several AWS accounts running multiple Amazon EKS clusters with Istio, Flux, Helm, and Kustomize, including infrastructure as code (IaC) with Terraform.
Senior Full-stack Developer2020 - 2020NordAi Analytics
- Designed the front end, back end, and cloud architecture for an early-stage investment firm's platform. Node.js, TypeScript, GraphQL, and PostgreSQL were part of the back-end design. The cloud architecture had a focus on security and auditing.
- Led the planning with Asana, the design in Figma, the development in Gatsby, and deployment with the Google Cloud Platform of a Canadian fintech startup's website.
- Developed and deployed Python web scraping programs and cloud-based data science pipelines to collect, clean, transform, store, and gain insights into advanced Canadian financial data for a law firm.
Cloud Architect | Lead Developer2019 - 2020Private Investment Fund
- Worked with a colleague to design and implement a client dashboard, admin dashboard, and the back end for a private cryptocurrency investment fund, including viewing and managing funds, transactions, and graphing account balances.
- Handled the entire tech architecture, security, and implementation, including negotiating timelines, solution expectations, and cost estimations with the client.
- Delivered in a timeline of about five months, under budget, with tons of automation through various CI/CD pipelines, including extensive documentation.
- Developed around 95% of code for the dashboards, Node.js and GraphQL server, and AWS infrastructure.
Core Software Developer2018 - 2018IBM
- Worked on a 4-month co-op for the company. Improved several performance metrics by 70-400% for an internal client dashboard built with React.
- Introduced dozens of new features, addressed over 140 issues and improved the DevOps experience.
- Became the lead contributor within eight weeks on the three-year project that was vital to the success of our division.
- Created IBM’s open-source Audit-CI, a security tool for Node.js that audits npm and Yarn dependencies in continuous integration environments, preventing integration if vulnerabilities are found above a configurable level.
- Used by IBM, NASA, Microsoft, the European Union, SAP, UK's Ministry of Justice, Adobe, Telus, BBC, Porsche, Audit-CI currently has 400,000 monthly downloads.
Data Analyst | Software Developer2017 - 2018Oculys Health Informatics
- Worked as the sole developer on a 4-month co-op of an Angular 5 mobile-first web app that provides emergency department hospital managers with real-time and predictive analytics of how busy their department will be for the next few hours.
- Developed the two-way data pipelines to feed data from machine learning algorithms and predictive models to a separate back-end.
- Implemented additional infrastructure in Azure to provide near real-time streams across products within the company, saving $20,000 per year over the initial solution proposed by the VP of engineering.
- Directed by the CEO to present the solution directly to the head of an Ontario health system at a formal gala.
Software Developer2017 - 2017Oculys Health Informatics
- Developed two apps during a 4-month co-op. The apps developed are a touch-based patient bed assignment board for hospitals and a patient status management dashboard.
- Discovered and fixed over 120 issues across several products, including critical zero-day security vulnerabilities.
- Improved the first-paint performance by 50% and the 80th percentile critical path performance by 70%.
Lab Engineering Assistant2014 - 2017University of Waterloo Advanced Manufacturing Lab
Technologies: Microsoft Excel, 3D Modeling, Android, PLC, WinForms, C#
- Worked as the lead and sole developer on a 4-month co-op for the University of Waterloo's management engineering undergraduate laboratory.
- Designed, built, and programmed multiple PLCs and autonomous robots, which can be seen on Youtu.be/NZgTCD0jfME.
- Developed a custom SCADA-like program from scratch in WinForm and C# to make the lab a smart system.
- Developed an Android app to provide real-time monitoring and controls for every device in the lab.
- Led dozens of demos and tours for parents, students, faculty, and business professionals, including the president of Panasonic, Canada.
Lead Java EE Full-stack Developer | SysAdmin2015 - 2016University of Waterloo
- Served as the lead developer on a team of two for a project that hosted a set of innovation assessments used by an Ontario ministry.
- Managed all the security and code deployments to an on-premise Linux server.
- Handed off the project to my professor, who developed it for the next several years and continued to use the same base and repeatedly said that the foundation was solid enough to easily turn the 20,000 LOC (lines of code) into a 200,000 LOC project.