Web Developer2017 - 2017Bayer Crop Science
Technologies: React, Flask, Python, Webpack, Babel, ES6, D3, Neo4j, Bootstrap
- Used React on the front-end to create a website that allows colleagues to define skillsets and current relationships to optimize time at a global conference.
- Used the intent of site and beginning wireframe ideas, assisting in overall site design to simplify data collection and recommendations based on colleague data.
- Assisted in developing complex queries against the Neo4j graph DB.
- Used Flask with JWT to create a back-end for authentication and REST queries.
Front-end Angular Developer2016 - 2017Bayer Crop Science
- Worked on a two man development team focusing primarily on front-end Angular development while the other developer focused on the back-end Django implementation.
- Created force visualizations in D3 to assist in conveying complex scientific data.
- Enjoyed a close relationship with project stakeholders.
- Ensured that the site looked good and ran on all major browsers.
- Learned much working with another Toptal developer and Toptal project management leads about different levels of project responsibility.
Web Developer and Data Accumulation2015 - 2016Confidential
Technologies: Python, Django, Amazon Web Turk, AWS, Google Maps API
- Created a web interface to allow users engaged through Amazon's Web Turk to mark specific features found in landscapes for the company with Google's Maps API.
- Accumulated data and exceeded deadline requirements for public presentation and creation of mechanisms that allowed batch management of numerous Amazon Turk workers.
- Managed the details of qualification, compensation, reviews, and blocking of AWS Web Turk workers from broad-stroke requirements from the client.
- Helped develop business rule sets based on feedback from success or failure at acquiring workers.
- Assisted the client in the next step of the project where in-house developers took over the process after initial objectives were successfully met.
Senior Programmer/Analyst2012 - 2015Alco Stores, Inc.
Technologies: Magento, CherryPy, Pyramid, Python, Oracle, MS SQL, JSON, XML
- Designed our order dispatch system allowing stores to ship any store-based inventory items purchased from our eCommerce site. The system dispatched orders based on real-time inventory metrics, previous order load, and distance from the customer. If a store had to reject an order for any reason, it was logged and automatically delegated to the next logical location.
- Created an internal website with Pyramid that allowed buyers to manage the Magento/OMX system by keeping pricing and promotions in sync with spreadsheets (Buyers preferred using spreadsheets as a means of communication).
- Added validation of uploaded spreadsheets to allow buyers to verify the integrity of spreadsheets against Magento before attempting to upload edits or new items. This eliminated previously required back and forth with spreadsheets while developers verified integrity. It also allowed finer-grained checks as other issues were discovered.
- Provided the store support center with reporting to follow up on customer issues and any compliance questions.
- Tested ruthlessly and wrote concise documentation into the site to provide stores and our helpdesk guidance in the event of exceptions.
Senior Programmer/Analyst2010 - 2015Alco Stores, Inc.
Technologies: Python, Jython, MS SQL, Oracle, XML
- Created customer loyalty integration for Alco with minimal impact to existing systems. Successfully processed over $1.4 billion in sales transactions and provided marketing with detailed reporting to allow targeted advertisements.
- Wrote extensive testing and documentation around the customer loyalty project. I'm pleased to note that it ran without any issue for the lifetime of the deployment.
- Created a portal site to allow marketing to manage the creation and distribution of our email list through a PowerMTA system. We used this system to send over 3 million emails per week for several years.
- Managed the Apache site that provided the resource assets (images and PDFs) for the emails we sent.
- Provided reporting based on email opens and clicks to allow marketing to respond to customer trends.
Intranet Developer2008 - 2012Alco Stores, Inc.
- Integrated dual authentication allowing both store-based Tomax LDAP associates and Active Directory-based store support center clients to use the same portal. Directed authentication to the most likely system for auth based on login filters.
- Allowed authorization based on ldap auth source and MS SQL tables defining the hierarchy placement of the client.
- Wrote a custom CMS that allowed store support clients to continue working in a way that was familiar to them but allowed store-based clients access to documents previously unavailable to them.
- Wrote a task dispatch system that allowed departments to present tasks to stores and the store support center to view the tasks from a higher level determining compliance. It allowed multiple store groupings based on the authentication level of the user signed into the portal.
- Increased load capacity by running Zope server behind Apache and deferring all static files to the Apache server. Enhanced security by using SSL and certificates.
Java Developer2006 - 2008Alco Stores, Inc.
Technologies: J2EE, JBoss, Oracle, Jython, Java, XML
- Wrote dashboards to supplement reporting.
- Installed and managed our JBoss development environment.
- Successfully managed issues between our bank, new authorizer, and Tomax when bringing the Tomax point-of-sale system online.
- Created Jython utilities to communicate with Tomax APIs and presented with Tomcat.
- Wrote a process to extract XML details from the Tomax system to allow more detailed reporting than the base Tomax system provided.
Lead C Developer for Point-of-Sale System2001 - 2006Alco Stores, Inc.
Technologies: C, Make, Linux, Batch, Rexx, Metaware Compiler, OS/2 Warp Compiler, Python, Zope
- Managed the codebase for two platforms and network topologies, token ring, and ethernet.
- Created a secure website to manage new requirements and updates to all registers and back-end systems using the legacy distribution available for the chain.
- Learned that writing code that writes code (Python) is not only acceptable but a solid and repeatable way to do development.
- Added the ability to accept EBT-based tenders, manufacturer coupons, store based coupons, and the tax algorithm edits necessary to maintain the integrity of the tender system. (We were in 18 states, each of which had unique tax requirements.).
- Wrote the bridge to allow both platforms to communicate with a Linux server placed into stores to manage perpetual inventory. Enabled all communication from the new Linux server to our general office through the existing legacy communication platform in the point-of-sale system.
- Wrote numerous utilities and created reporting to allow proactive management of systems instead of reacting to failures.