Java Developer in Madrid, Spain
SDE2015 - PRESENTAmazon
Technologies: Java, AWS
- Worked on different products of the group.
Java Contractor2014 - 2015Libon
Technologies: Java, Spring, Hibernate, Cassandra, Oracle
- Contributed to the development of back-end APIs used by web, Android, and iOS.
- Developed new features and made performance improvements.
- Migrated parts of the data from Oracle to Cassandra.
- Worked in an Agile environment.
Big Data Engineer2013 - 2014Social Point
Technologies: Python, Git, RedShift, Cassandra
- Built an anomaly detection system.
- Improved the stability and scalability of a system based in Redis for handling thousands of events per second.
- Implemented multiple applications for importing data from external sources.
- Wrote a workshop on MapReduce for the rest of the team with Mincemeat.py.
Lead Java Developer2012 - 2013Odobo
- Identified and developed process improvements and tool requirements including a tool for importing database fixtures. Used multiple sources such as YAML and SQL batch files.
- Developed a routing application.
- Implemented a game back-end.
- Created a web-based application for replaying games.
- Built an applications deployment framework.
Senior Ruby on Rails Developer2009 - 2012Victor Chandler (BetVictor)
- Developed a betting application in Rails.
- Handled troubleshooting and bug fixing, including writing scripts for diagnostic purposes.
- Developed a REST web service in Java, with Oracle and Coherence in the back-end.
- Supported multiple legacy systems in Java and Ruby.
Java Contractor2008 - 2009VISA Europe
Technologies: Eclipse, RSA, RUP, OJB, DB2, Maven, ClearCase, ClearQuest
- Designed and lead the development of a system for processing non-financial transactions. Simplified and improved the performance of the application by processing a batch of transactions as a single transaction.
- Developed a test framework for the reporting system by creating a serialized version of the processed data.
- Implemented multiple reports, with presentation of the data based on existing examples of legacy systems.
- Implemented an application scaffold to avoid using WebSphere during development.
- Improved the unit testing framework of the application.
Software developer2004 - 2006Cantor
Technologies: Java, Spring
- Worked in a spread betting application.
Developer2004 - 2004Nokia
- Working as a Java contractor on a gateway that allowed multiple Nokia systems to send SMS messages.
Java Developer2000 - 2002Netdecisions
- Implemented an HTML form system using an in-house template system.
- Started as junior developer, was promoted to lead developer for some projects, and eventually became part of the company's core team.
- Worked on a distributed component framework (similar to EJB) as part of the company's core team.
- Worked as lead developer of a project (Pharmalogy) with 10+ developers, contributing to multiple tasks in order to complete the project on time.
- Developed clickmango.com as a junior Java developer.
- Hadoop Challenge Winner (Other amazing things)
I was one of the three winners of the Hadoop challenge.
- Workshop Map Reduce (Development)https://github.com/rguiu/MRWorkshop/
Tutorial on how to write Map Reduce with mincemeat.py.
- BetVictor (Development)http://www.betvictor.com/
Betting website built in Ruby on Rails.
- BStalkJ (Development)https://github.com/rguiu/BStalkJ
Java Client library for Beanstalkd.
- CodeJam Submissions - Multiple Years (Other amazing things)
Multiple years' submissions to Google Code Jam:
- Finalist in Paris Google Hashcode 2015 Competition (Other amazing things)https://sites.google.com/site/hashcode2015/competition-overview
Got into the final round in Paris.
FrameworksSpring, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Hadoop, Flask, Hibernate
StorageCassandra, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, PostgreSQL, Redshift
ToolsGit, Shell, Maven
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, Concurrent Programming, Functional Programming
Libraries/APIsNode.js, jQuery, Facebook Ads API