DevOps Developer in Serra - ES, Brazil
Member since December 15, 2015
Renato is a Linux and network system administrator with 20+ years of experience designing, deploying, and automating systems. He is comfortable working with organizations of all sizes - from small organizations to large enterprises.
System Engineer2012 - PRESENTVALE
Technologies: Linux, Ansible, Python, Perl, Cisco, CA Spectrum, Elastic Stack, Azure, AWS
- Designed, deployed, and supported network monitoring toolset infrastructure for a large enterprise environment.
- Automated the migration of thousands of network devices management configuration from MSP to in-house management using Python and Perl scripts.
- Implemented the Elastic stack to handle network logging management for thousands of network devices for Syslog, TACACS, and Radius accounting.
- Automated the deployment of technical network standards (Security, QoS, AAA, etc.) using Python scripts.
- Implemented AWX (Red Hat Ansible Tower upstream) and developed the playbooks to manage the network management Infrastructure.
- Integrated the Fault Management tool with the ITSM solution using the products API to open, close, update and route incidents to the correct groups based on complex business rules.
- Developed a custom NagVis backend in PHP to query the proprietary performance management tool.
- Authored the CA Spectrum Ansible module.
IaC DevOps Engineer2019 - 2019Intelligo Group (via Toptal)
Technologies: Terraform, Ansible, Elasticsearch, Redis, RabbitMQ, Neo4j, AWS, ASG
- Developed Terraform module for the deployment of the Elastic Stack and recommended plugins on AWS, complete with Load Balancer and security best practices. The delivered module supports multiple environments (Dev, QA, Prod, etc) and allows for the customization of Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana before deployment.
- Delivered Ansible playbooks for upgrading the environments and applying changes to the configurations.
- Delivered similar Terraform modules and Ansible playbooks for a RabbitMQ Cluster, Redis Cluster, and a Neo4j casual cluster.
- Documented all the Terraform modules and Ansible playbooks with detailed explanations and examples.
System Engineer2003 - 2012EDP - ESCELSA
Technologies: Linux, Nagios, Cisco, Riverbed, VMware ESXi, Perl, Lotus Domino, IronPort
- Designed, implemented, and managed the IT infrastructure monitoring solution based on Nagios, Cacti, and NagVis.
- Migrated Lotus Domino Email solution from Windows to Linux.
- Implemented VOIP Solution based on Asterisk allowing ESCELSA to meet regulatory agency ANEEL requirement of having all customer service agencies interconnected with local extensions numbers by the specified deadline.
- Deployed and Managed IronPort, NetCache, Cisco ASA and Riverbed appliances.
- Implemented a MODBUS gateway in Perl allowing the connection of remote PLCs to the company SCADA system.
- Managed the VMWare ESXi Farm.
Sysadmin1996 - 2003ESCELSANET
Technologies: Linux, Postfix, IMAP, POP3, SQL Server, MySQL, RADIUS
- Designed, implemented, and managed the network infrastructure of the Internet Service Provider.
- Deployed and managed the email servers, web servers, and firewalls.
- Deployed and managed the dial-up infrastructure.
- Intelligo Group (via Toptal) (Development)
Terraform, Ansible, Elasticsearch, Redis, RabbitMQ, Neo4j, AWS, ASG
- VALE (Development)
Ansible, AWX/Tower, Git, Python, AWX, FCAPS, Cisco, Elasticsearch, CheckMK, NagVis
- EDP - ESCELSA (Development)
Python, Perl, ESXi, Asterisk, Nagios, Riverbed, IronPort, Lotus Domino
- Automatically Update Elastic Stack with Ansible Playbooks (Publication)The Elastic Stack is constantly releasing new and amazing features, and often delivers two new releases every month. However, even though the Elastic website maintains clear and detailed documentation, every upgrade involves a series of tedious steps. That is why one engineer decided to automate the whole process. In this article, Toptal Freelance Linux Developer Renato Araujo walks us through a series of Ansible Playbooks he developed to auto-upgrade his Elastic Stack installation.
ToolsNagios, Kibana, Logstash, Rsyslog, Ansible, Ansible Tower, Terraform, GitLab CI/CD, Check_MK, Travis CI, Jenkins
PlatformsDocker, Linux, AWS Elastic Beanstalk
StorageElasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL
OtherAWS DevOps, VMware ESXi, SOAP, Riverbed
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems2004 - 2008UCL – Faculdade do Centro Leste - Serra, ES -Brazil
- AWS Certified SysOps AdministratorMARCH 2019 - MARCH 2022Amazon
- ITIL Foundation V3JANUARY 2008 - PRESENTICASA
- CCNA - CISCO Certified Network AssociateMAY 2007 - MAY 2010Cisco
- MCSE +Security – Microsoft Windows Server 2003DECEMBER 2006 - PRESENTMicrosoft
- LPIC-1: Linux System AdministratorJULY 2005 - JULY 2010Linux Professional Institute
- LPIC-2: Linux EngineerJULY 2005 - JULY 2010Linux Professional Institute
- RHCE – Red Hat Certified EngineeNOVEMBER 2003 - MARCH 2007Red Hat