Verified Expert in Engineering
Ricardo is a seasoned software developer who has been working mainly with C#, ASP.NET, Angular, and the Microsoft Integration stack for the past 15 years. Currently, he's working on a startup for a PaaS product based on the Azure and Microsoft Integration stack. Ricardo is passionate about designing and building software and teams for high-performance delivery.
Angular, Entity Framework, Web API, C#, BizTalk
The most amazing...
...thing I’ve done was to develop solutions for BizTalk—taking them to production, supporting them, and operating them on a day-to-day basis.
- Architected and developed compelling and innovative services and software for the enterprise integration space with a strong Microsoft technology background.
- Served as the lead BizTalk architect.
- Developed an Azure-based SaaS product focusing on the integration space using the most up-to-date Azure technologies including Azure websites, Azure Service Bus, Azure Storage, Application Insights, SQL Azure, and Key Vault.
- Built a CI and CD environment using VSTS and Azure ARM.
- Architected the UI and UX based on Angular 4 with full-stack responsibilities all the way from the concept and design to development, testing, and continuous integration.
Lead Software Architect | Head of Technical Presales
- Helped the company grow from three employees to 35 in two locations (UK and India).
- Developed and delivered a world-class software product which is the most popular Microsoft BizTalk Server third-party product in the market.
- Fostered the internal efforts to grow the company portfolio from one product to four products.
- Worked directly with the CEO and played important roles in critical areas such as sales, marketing, product development, and support.
- Mentored the members of the BizTalk teams. Hired, mentored, and supported the India team.
- Architected, designed, and developed an upcoming SaaS product hosted in Azure, based on a PaaS Azure functionality that includes Azure websites, web jobs, Azure storage, Service Bus, and SQL Azure including SQL elastic pools, Azure Event Hubs.
- Championed innovative features in the product that led to the BizTalk360 Rules Engine and Analytics.
- Hired, mentored, and developed the support team and its procedures to deliver a remarkable service with a reportedly high level of satisfaction from customers.
- Delivered technical presentations of the products to potential customers and liaise with all levels of customer contacts from the technical teams up to the chief-experience officer level.
- Acted as a client account manager: managing and coordinating the top three largest customers to maintain high levels of customer satisfaction and upsell.
Premier Field Engineer – BizTalk/Integration
- Delivered proactive services to Microsoft Premier Customers; these services require internal certification to guarantee a high level of quality and consistency of the delivery across regions.
- Drove BizTalk readiness across EMEA, improved collaboration, mentored new hires, and wrote technical training plans for engineers.
- Evaluated and assessed the BizTalk Server infrastructure and operational processes.
- Conducted a workshop overview of the Microsoft BizTalk Server along with presentations and labs on how to design, build, and operate a robust and scalable environment.
- Designed a workshop to address disaster recovery planning requirements, which are a vital pillar of building a mature enterprise-class business system.
- Created the BizTalk Performance Lab, a customized engagement focused on tuning your specific application to meet its performance requirements.
- Developed the BizTalk Architecture and Design Review, a customized engagement designed around the business and technical requirements of your specific application.
- Built-up the .NET Code Review process, which provides a detailed look at specific components of a .NET application’s source code and provides recommendations around the issues that may cause support issues.
- Analyzed an integration related to Microsoft Azure offerings that could be used to form the next generation PFE services for integration, including BizTalk Services, running BizTalk Server on Azure Virtual Machines, and Azure Service Bus.
- Served as an application consultant, working with Dynamics NAV and BizTalk with a strong focus on development.
- Collaborated with functional consultants to review business requirements and design, implement, and test feature requests.
- Implemented and customized ERP deployment projects, ranging from the application design and architecture specifications down to the functional module configuration, code customization, and version upgrades.
- Managed the full application development lifecycle of the BizTalk integration projects. This included collecting the integration requirements, proposing functional and technical designs, developing, testing, and training the customers.
- Played a key role in a large integration project on Dynamics CRM, which was one of the most important integration targets. Brought extensive knowledge of the internal workings of the Dynamics CRM platform.
The standard tools, like the BizTalk Administration Console, are not designed or appropriate for ongoing support and operational activities. For example, the console lacks a lot of basic functionality such as basic user access and keeping an audit trail of activities performed by support staff. In some cases, the standard BizTalk console is way too powerful to hand over to inexperienced or non-BizTalk people.
The other challenge is on the BizTalk monitoring side; once your BizTalk solutions are deployed to a production environment, it's important to keep an eye on their health. For example, you need to get notified if a receiving location or host is down. Currently, BizTalk customers need to rely on external tools like the Microsoft System Center Operations (SCOM) or HP Operations Manager (HPOM). SCOM has a good management pack for monitoring the BizTalk server, but the complexity of setting up SCOM and ongoing management of alerts become more and more challenging as your BizTalk applications grow.
Integration of AI-based Micro Front Ends into Dynamics CRM
Monitoring Managed Services Product Migration to Azure
This was later followed with an improvement project to use cloud native capabilities; for example, using Azure App Service to host the web-based components and Azure SQL Database to host critical application data segregated by customer and partner inside an Azure SQL Database elastic pool to mitigate cost concerns.
Angular Material, Angular, Entity, .NET, ASP.NET, Windows Communication Framework (WCF), Knockout (Knockout.js)
Azure Blob Storage API, Web API, GoJS, REST APIs, NgRx, Entity Framework, Azure API Management
Azure Logic Apps, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Azure DevOps Services, Azure Key Vault, Azure Application Insights, Microsoft Dynamics, Azure App Service, Microsoft Dynamics NAV
Azure IaaS, Azure, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Azure PaaS, Azure Event Hubs, Visual Studio 2016, Azure Functions, Microsoft
Azure Websites, Azure SQL, SQL Server 2014, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Elastic Pools, Azure Active Directory, Azure SQL Databases
Dynamics CRM 365, APIs, Integration, BizTalk, Azure WebJobs, Azure Service Bus, Azure Resource Manager (ARM), Architecture, Cloud, SaaS, Microsoft Azure, Cloud Architecture, Web Development, API Integration, CTO, Secure Web Development, Web Security, Service, Monitoring, SaaS Monitoring, Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure
Agile, Azure DevOps
Master's Degree in Computer Science
ISEP | Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto - Porto, Portugal