PHP Developer in Vancouver, BC, Canada
Technical Co-founder2017 - PRESENTChef to Table
Technologies: WordPress, PHP, Drip, Stripe
- Led the development of an online ordering system.
- Created an automatic customer notification and tracking system based on Drip email management software.
- Built internal management systems based on customer and order data.
Video Course Author2016 - PRESENTPluralsight
Technologies: Linux, Memcached, Varnish
- Developed video training courses teaching developers to use Linux-based tools for performance and scalability.
Senior Developer2018 - 2019Great Wolf Resorts
Technologies: Laravel, MySQL, PHP, .NET, Azure, AWS, Kubernetes, AngularJS
- Helped support an eCommerce website that is the primary sales channel for a 2,500-person business.
- Optimized server load management on AWS to handle higher traffic and helped tune the monitoring and alerting systems.
- Implemented dynamic request throttling to reduce the impact of back-end outages on user experience, allowing for more marketing campaigns to increase revenue without impacting website stability.
- Led integration with multiple outside vendors to enable new customer service and marketing capabilities, completing each integration in an average of three to four months.
- Provided support to resolve operational and security issues.
- Assisted with the development and architecture of a new codebase built in .NET and running on Azure with Kubernetes containers.
- Helped to implement, optimize, and debug front-end features built on AngularJS and running on a Drupal website.
Founder, Lead Developer2006 - 2017Garand Webtech, Inc.
- Helped clients translate general ideas into specific, prioritized requirements.
- Led development teams.
- Planned architecture for scalable, high-performance systems.
- Integrated workflow planning with external designers' work to create an attractive and usable end result.
- Managed projects (including internal team, clients' tasks, and external partners) to avoid overruns.
Data Architect2015 - 2016Dental Practice Pro
Technologies: Laravel, PHP, MySQL
- Built key back-end systems for a SaaS data collection and analytics tool.
- Built and optimized large-scale data storage with real-time reporting for multi-billion-row record sets.
- Advised the development team on architecture and performance.
- Optimized the data ETL system to work with hundreds of concurrent targets.
Back-end Architect2014 - 2015Vaytus
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, iOS
- Built a web-based back end and API for a music player app.
- Built a web-based front end.
- Advised the development team on data architecture, API optimization, and system performance.
Technical/Strategy Consultant2014 - 2015BEEP
- Advised a startup on technical requirements to execute strategy for their new mobile app.
Drupal Architect2013 - 2014Major Sports Magazine (NDA)
Technologies: Drupal, PHP
- Built key components for a high-traffic website redevelopment.
- Created highly-customized page layouts with unique data displays within Drupal.
Drupal Architect2012 - 2013Modern Guild
Technologies: Drupal, PHP
- Led the buildout of a prototype into a full online learning tool.
- Built software that led to the startup being accepted to the Techstars program.
- Transitioned ownership to full-time CTO.
Drupal Architect2009 - 2013Academica Group
Technologies: Drupal, PHP, CakePHP
- Architected, developed, and optimized major Drupal sites for universities, scalable to millions of visits per day.
- Led the redevelopment of custom survey software built in CakePHP, scalable to tens of thousands of users per day.
- Using Memcached and Varnish to Speed Up Your Linux Web App (Other amazing things)https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/memcached-varnish-speed-app-caching
A video course produced for Pluralsight, teaching developers and system administrators how they can use simple caching tools and techniques to massively increase scalability and performance of any application or website.
- Dental Practice Pro (Development)http://dentalpracticepro.com/
Set up back-end and database systems for a SaaS application serving large dental offices. Led changes to the data architecture and complex daily data loading operations to increase performance and scalability, allowing the application to grow from the initial prototype to serving hundreds of offices without performance issues.
- Brock University (Development)http://brocku.ca
A Drupal installation with deep customizations to support special editing requirements at a large university. Also managed performance testing and initial server configuration for 10M monthly visitors.
- Confederation College (Development)http://www.confederationcollege.ca/
Managed deployment of a large-scale Drupal site covering all web needs for a college. Set up Varnish-based caching to increase scalability for millions of visits per month.
- Modern Guild (Development)http://modernguild.com/
An online platform based on Drupal where college students can purchase access, take assignments, have them reviewed, schedule meetings, and have video conferences with experienced mentors in their chosen industries.
- Enrollment Analytics Research System (Development)
Created an integrated survey and reporting system. The survey part includes customized functionality required to do national-level market research (tuned to allow inviting 30-50,000 respondents in one batch). The interface is set up to be very visual and easy to use, so that external users can create surveys as part of future plans. The reporting system allows the results of these surveys to be accessed in real-time with user-created reports, allowing clients to get immediate access to their data. This required translating databases in the tens of millions of rows into a suitable format for quickly generating any report you can imagine.
PlatformsDrupal, Linux, Windows
StorageMySQL, Memcached, MongoDB
OtherBack-end Performance, Web Scalability, Performance Optimization, Caching
- Bachelor's of Science with Distinction degree in Computer Science2002 - 2006University of Regina - Regina, SK, Canada