- Software Engineer (Contractor)The Active Network2014 - 2015
- Responsible for upgrading a live production instance of Elasticsearch from 0.90 to 1.3, including updating a customer-facing Rails-based API.
- Software Engineer (Contractor)Janssen Pharmaceuticals2014 - 2014
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Angular.js, MySQL
- Worked on the company’s medication adherence application, both the Rails back-end and Angular.js front-end.
- Recreated a patient/physician information site including an HTML5 WYSIWYG editor to allow the product manager to make changes without a developer. The entire site was finished in two weeks.
- Principal Software EngineerCodestarter2013 - 2014
- Took over from a contract implementation and added Stripe integration and an email system in three days to meet a launch deadline.
- Solely responsible for development, design, deployment, you-name-it, reporting directly to the CEO.
- Implemented a simple inventory/shipping process for getting dozens of laptops in the door and back out to kids as quickly as possible.
- Principal Software EngineerPopexpert, Inc2012 - 2013
- Founding team member, lead developer, and sole designer for the entire popexpert.com web app.
- Integrated Stripe payment processing as well as custom conference calendaring and scheduling UI, both front-end and back-end.
- Integrated peer-to-peer WebRTC audio/video conferencing through third-party providers and from scratch.
- Senior Software EngineerThe Active Network2006 - 2012
- Mentored a half-dozen new developers as they learned Ruby to rebuild active.com from scratch.
- Lead developer and mentor for Active Educate school accounting software. Rebuilt the application from scratch in Ruby on Rails while training two other developers with no previous Ruby experience.
- Built Active Timeline: a real-time feed of user activity across dozens of Active’s web properties. Created a Sinatra app that accepted data via a RESTful API and presented it via API or HTML.
- Lead developer and mentor for Active Trainer, an online fitness and activity tracker. Rebuilt an existing Java application from scratch in Ruby on Rails in record time while training 4 other developers with no Ruby experience.
- Started the Light Engineering Group to prototype new products and bring various ideas to life on super tight deadlines and with maximum quality. Ask about Active Realtime, Jungle, Active Widgets, and others.
- Responsible for UI and UX on the company’s flagship active.com site.
- First at a company of hundreds of developers to use AJAX, to build anything in Ruby and Rails (which later became a cornerstone for new development), to consume and create RESTful web services, and to deploy production applications on AWS.