Verified Expert in Engineering
As a recent startup co-founder and hands-on CTO, and having previously led a full-stack team to build a make-or-break IoT product for a company new to the sector, Rob understands that the proof of any project is in real-world success. A Cambridge graduate, regular React Native core contributor, back-end systems architect, and full-stack engineer, Rob couples an expert ability with a belief in the highest quality software delivered efficiently.
Git, JetBrains, ITerm, MacOS
The most amazing...
...app I've built was as co-founder of Eos. We connected patients with their doctors for easier and cheaper health checks, helping detect and prevent illnesses.
Co-founder and Technical director
Eos Analytics/Eos HealthCheck
- Created an app, back-end, and dashboard allowing doctors to have their patients complete various health checks much more quickly and without paper forms.
- Built a serverless HTTP API over MongoDB which is fully compatible with CouchDB's replication API and algorithm, so that a MongoDB backend can synchronize with PouchDB clients or other CouchDB servers while utilizing API Gateway's flexible power for authentication and traffic management.
- Created integrations between our back-end and various data providers (weather, census data, electoral records) to provide a unified REST API for information about a local area.
- Responsible for designing and building data security policies and systems both technically and legally, in the particularly sensitive medical domain.
- Worked closely with medical professionals and administrators to design efficient processes and clear interfaces.
Principle/Lead Applications Developer
Elektron Technology Ltd
- Recruited a team of ten senior engineers as part of a rapid company expansion.
- Served as the team lead and line manager, reporting to head of software, the CTO, and business stakeholders.
- Contributed to the creation of an IoT back-end using NodeJS, MongoDB, and AWS, supporting mobile and embedded clients in the food safety sector.
- Helped design the Bluetooth interface, handshake protocol, and security measures in communication between Android handsets and bespoke sensor hardware. Wrote the abstraction layer for Android devices and for a separate test harness.
- Significantly refactored an existing Android app to reduce the application code by 30% while maintaining functionality, increasing performance and testability.
- Designed and installed a continuous delivery pipeline for the software team, including a bespoke Android update delivery system.
- Introduced an Agile development methodology.
Development Team Lead, Management Information Services
University of Cambridge
- Created a web app using Java/Groovy, Grails and PostgreSQL to manage inventory of human tissue, to meet new legal requirements.
- Joined and subsequently led a team developing the enrolment and payment system for the university's Institute of Continuing Education.
- Seamlessly integrated Symfony2 app components into a pre-existing Joomla website.
- Built enrolment and payment system using service-oriented architecture, with components communicating using REST APIs and job queues.
- Liaised with client stakeholders and led a small development team using an agile methodology.
Web Applications Developer
Trinity College, Cambridge University
- Built a platform to host modular web apps performing various functions for staff and students.
- Introduced REST APIs and SPA-style modules in ExtJS to improve responsiveness and implement feature-rich UI components, such as editable data tabes.
- Redesigned the central database of staff, students and alumni to be built directly from SQL views, rather than batch update jobs or manual input.
- Devised and built a new system for immediate verification and registration of college guests onto the academic wifi network, using a web app calling firewall APIs for IP allocation. This replaced a paper application form and manual process.
- Transitioned a shared hosting setup for college fellow and society pages to a new vhost-based setup, segregating the filesystem and hosting options for security and allowing more features to be enabled.
Allows patients to order home blood tests, answer questions from their GP, maintain a diary of their conditions and treatments, and be recommended with a face-to-face consultation where appropriate.
HealthCheck is currently being piloted with GPs in London.
Open Source Packages via NPMhttps://www.npmjs.com/~rh389
Some of my most popular libraries are:
react-native-securerandom - Wraps native libraries allowing React Native developers to build apps in highly security-sensitive domains.
dynamodb-geo - Leverages S2 to add location-based indexing to AWS DynamoDB tables.
react-native-paho-mqtt - Allows React Native developers to build connected apps around MQTT messaging, as common in "internet of things" products.
React Native, Express.js, StrongLoop, AngularJS, Symfony 2, Grails, Ext JS, Redux
React, Node.js, Facebook API, Google Places API
JetBrains, Git, ITerm, Apache, Apache Tomcat, Sketch
CouchDB, MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Microsoft SQL Server, Redis
Full-stack, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Amazon API Gateway, Serverless, Analysis, Number Theory
Agile, Event Sourcing, CQRS, Serverless Architecture, Microservices
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Firebase, iOS, Android, Linux, MacOS, AWS Lambda, Amazon EC2, Drupal, Joomla, Windows Server, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows
Bachelor of Law Degree in Law
Open University - UK distance learning
Master of Science Degree in Mathematics
Open University - UK distance learning
Master of Arts Degree in Mathematics
University of Cambridge - Cambridge, UK