Research Engineer2002 - 2019InnoTech Alberta
Technologies: Java, .NET, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Mechanical Design, Simulations, Modbus Protocol, PLC, Data Analysis, ISO 17025, Delmia Quest, Test-driven Development (TDD), MySQL, IIS SQL Server
- Created a Java program that uses a 2D Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) key performance indicator (KPI) on mill panels before pressing to reduce sanding and raw materials used.
- Created 4D Monte Carlo simulations of material flow through mill processes allowing estimation of production given processing, equipment, and downtime changes using Delmia Quest framework.
- Developed PLC ladder logic, visual programming, and other software to control lab and industrial-scale manufacturing equipment for testing, prototyping, and production purposes resulting in the proving and certification of equipment.
- Analyzed and reported on roughly 100 projects. Acted as quality manager for ISO 17025 accredited lab for destructive testing of mechanical properties. Evaluated precision and accuracy by leading inter-lab testing of multiple international labs.
- Developed MATLAB software to analyze density information from 3D CAT scan voxels and 2D X-ray pixels.
- Fixed the LabView program for automation of pyrolysis testing at the University of Alberta. Allowed researchers to continue with experiments without software freezes or incorrect operation of the schedule.
- Created an online calibration using C# .NET for an X-ray system, which reduced downtime for calibrations by over 90%.
- Developed data mining framework using VB.NET, Crystal Reports, and MS SQL Server for an OSB plant.
Research Assistant1999 - 2000National Research Council Canada
Technologies: CFX, Excel VBA, Java, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Data Analysis, Data Visualization, Sensor Data
- Simulated airflow and air stagnation for indoor environments, including portable classrooms, offices, and housing meeting the R-2000 housing standard.
- Developed an MS Excel program to solve networked airflow for HVAC systems for R-2000 housing standard.
- Obtained the Award of Excellence for participation in the COPE project. Served as a research assistant during two four-month co-op work terms.
Java Programmer1999 - 1999Government of Canada
Technologies: Java, Mechanical Engineering, Fortran, Windows
- Updated Fortran code using object-oriented Java. Estimated the amount of water flowing in and around the Milk river that crosses the Canada-United States border, which determined the US financial obligations to Canada under NAFTA.
- Constructed and imaged Windows XP and standard software on roughly 90 computers in one week.
- Acted as a helpdesk for a team of 90 people for PC software and hardware issues.
- Acted as temporary email administrator during the administrator's two-week vacation. Solved mail issues and troubleshot and fixed lost connectivity issue due to overheated router.
- Served as a Java programmer during a four-month co-op work term.
Mechanical Engineering Technician1997 - 1997CoorsTek
Technologies: Mechanical Engineering
- Optimized oven temperature versus glass to metal seal quality.
- Created a 3D model and prototype for jig holding glass and metal during heating.
- Assisted with quality assurance of Six Sigma process for manufacturing airbag glass to metal seals.
- Served as a mechanical engineering technician during a four-month co-op work term.