Verified Expert in Engineering
Robert has over 30 years of experience programming, with 25 years developing object-oriented Java programs. As a professional mechanical engineer specializing in fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, and mathematics, he has developed simulations and used computer-aided design principles to improve industrial and lab-scale manufacturing processes. Robert has developed software to interact with novel sensor technologies, including X-ray machines, colorimeters, PLCs, and laser-based sensors.
Java, MATLAB, LabVIEW, SOLIDWORKS, R, Excel VBA, Modbus Protocol, Mechanical Engineering, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), .NET
The most amazing...
...Java calculation I've written is a 2D FFT with a selectable domain that allowed me to speed up the calculation hundredfold.
- Conducted HVAC factory witness tests with clients.
- Wrote programs and developed graphics for Distech PLCs.
- Troubleshot issues and developed fixes for programs in the field involving industrial heating and cooling.
- Created a Java program that uses a 2D Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) key performance indicator (KPI) on mill panels before pressing to reduce sanding and raw materials used.
- Created 4D Monte Carlo simulations of material flow through mill processes allowing estimation of production given processing, equipment, and downtime changes using Delmia Quest framework.
- Developed PLC ladder logic, visual programming, and other software to control lab and industrial-scale manufacturing equipment for testing, prototyping, and production purposes resulting in the proving and certification of equipment.
- Analyzed and reported on roughly 100 projects. Acted as quality manager for ISO 17025 accredited lab for destructive testing of mechanical properties. Evaluated precision and accuracy by leading inter-lab testing of multiple international labs.
- Developed MATLAB software to analyze density information from 3D CAT scan voxels and 2D X-ray pixels.
- Fixed the LabView program for automation of pyrolysis testing at the University of Alberta. Allowed researchers to continue with experiments without software freezes or incorrect operation of the schedule.
- Created an online calibration using C# .NET for an X-ray system, which reduced downtime for calibrations by over 90%.
- Developed data mining framework using VB.NET, Crystal Reports, and MS SQL Server for an OSB plant.
National Research Council Canada
- Simulated airflow and air stagnation for indoor environments, including portable classrooms, offices, and housing meeting the R-2000 housing standard.
- Developed an MS Excel program to solve networked airflow for HVAC systems for R-2000 housing standard.
- Obtained the Award of Excellence for participation in the COPE project. Served as a research assistant during two four-month co-op work terms.
Government of Canada
- Updated Fortran code using object-oriented Java. Estimated the amount of water flowing in and around the Milk river that crosses the Canada-United States border, which determined the US financial obligations to Canada under NAFTA.
- Constructed and imaged Windows XP and standard software on roughly 90 computers in one week.
- Acted as a helpdesk for a team of 90 people for PC software and hardware issues.
- Acted as temporary email administrator during the administrator's two-week vacation. Solved mail issues and troubleshot and fixed lost connectivity issue due to overheated router.
- Served as a Java programmer during a four-month co-op work term.
Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Optimized oven temperature versus glass to metal seal quality.
- Created a 3D model and prototype for jig holding glass and metal during heating.
- Assisted with quality assurance of Six Sigma process for manufacturing airbag glass to metal seals.
- Served as a mechanical engineering technician during a four-month co-op work term.
Mat Height Profiling of Strand-based Panel Manufacturing
A 2D FFT is used in real-time to determine the macroscopic waves and create a key performance index (KPI) for waviness. Images and statistical information are created and display to control room staff so that changes to forming can be adjusted as part of the 24 hours, seven days a week manufacturing process.
Statistical information for each panel is then sent to MS SQL Server or MySQL, where it can be accessed by other mill staff using other software. The software allows continual feedback on impacts of actions mill staff take to improve panel consistency and reduce waste by reducing the sanding needed per panel. Significant shifts in panel statistics can set off alarms to control room staff to alert them to unexpected changes such as material bridging or equipment failure.
Press Monitoring Applicationhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AlX374sf_hzWhOR81sf6SGIIemBadA?e=Td4yI5
Colorimeter Data Acquisitionhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AlX374sf_hzWhOR7BDrMl2fs2sh52Q?e=N3lwZD
Image Segmentation for Visual Identification
NAFTA Calculation of Hydrological Cycle
Finite Differences Simulation for Lyocell Process
.NET, NUnit, JUnit, Classic ASP, ASP.NET
API Development, REST APIs
SOLIDWORKS, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Microsoft Unity, Git, Mercurial, Subversion (SVN), Prism, GitLab, Google Analytics
Mechanical Design, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), RESTful Development, Test-driven Development (TDD)
Windows, Linux, Windows XP, Drupal 8, Linux Mint, Unix, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
XML Parsing, SQL Server 2000, Google Cloud, MySQL, IIS SQL Server
Modbus Protocol, Mechanical Engineering, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Applied Mathematics, Simulations, PLC, ISO 17025, FFT, Sensor Data, Continuous Monitoring, Audio, Sampling, Material Handling, APIs, Technical Research, Digital Signal Processing, DSP, Industrial & Manufacturing, Machinery, Industrial Equipment, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Data Analysis, Statistics, Manufacturing, Data Visualization, Internal Audits, Siemens PLC, Allen-Bradley PLCs, Graphing, Internationalization, Image Segmentation, Object Recognition, Color Grading, Risk, Delmia Quest, Command-line Interface (CLI), Windows 10, Technical Reports, Writing & Editing, Libraries, ANSYS, Crypto, Security Clearance, Government Contracting, Electrical Design, Electrical Engineering, Safety, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Water Resources, Materials Science, RS-232, Serial Port, Circuit Design, Gentoo, Unix Shell Scripting, Distech, Chemicals
Specialization Degree in Mathematics
University of Alberta - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
University of Alberta - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Dante Level 3 Certification
Level II (Secret) Security Clearance
Government of Canada
ISO 17025:2017 What's New or Different
Electrical Work Practice
Cenovus Energy, Inc.
WHMIS After GHS for Workers
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
Danatec Educational Services, Ltd.
T57-13 CALA Internal Auditor
ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Foundation Training Course
Ashbrooke Quality Assurance
BerkeleyX: CS188.1x Artificial Intelligence
Circuits and Electronics 6.002x
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MITx) | via edX
Professional Mechanical Engineer
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring