Robert A Kinyon
Verified Expert in Engineering
Robert has been in IT for over 20 years, playing nearly every position on the IT infield - from development to QA to DBA and now devops. Through every project, the unifying thread has always been making everyone around him 10x more effective by finding and removing the key friction points.
Vim Text Editor, Python, Perl, Ruby, Git, Linux
The most amazing...
...project I had built was a relational database that versioned data just like Git version software.
Head of Devops
- Created a devops team.
- Trained other developers.
- Built a complete operations infrastructure from scratch.
- Enabled developers to deploy over 10x/week without devops intervention.
- Managed Okta installation, onboarding 300+ apps.
- Built Workday/LDAP/Okta integration for on- and off-boarding automation.
- Designed framework for further integrations to Workday, LDAP, and Okta.
- Supported custom Okta/Coupa integration.
- Built a consulting company with over six clients.
- Led agile transformations in all clients.
- Led devops transformations in most clients.
- Built a devops practice at a regional consulting company.
- Trained multiple sysadmins and developers as devops engineers.
JP Morgan Chase
- Designed operational processes for 240 Node.js developers building the new Chase.com site.
- Architected Node.js repository management for handling security issues.
- Built a team to manage said operational processes.
- Mentored an existing devops team on new processes, procedures, and methods.
- Led the team launching 1940census.archives.gov on over 1,000 EC2 instances in three months.
- Built back ends for identity.com to interface with over a dozen social sites using asynchronous Python.
- Ran a globally-distributed team across four time zones.
Head of ETL
Grant Street Group
- Ran the ETL team for two years, overseeing the onboarding of Miami-Dade county.
- Architected new ETL process allowing application code to be used instead of hand-crafted SQL.
- Worked on a 1+ million-line Perl application.
- Created a Cucumber-based startup for QA automation.
- Designed and built a data collection and ETL platform to ingest network maps from merged mobile operators.
- Maintained and extended the application used to test mobile base stations by mimicking network traffic from a telephone network.
- Designed and built a reporting application that responded to changes in under two seconds. This required creating a denormalized reporting database.
- Co-founded a startup to deliver a mapping application for roleplaying games where the users could create and edit maps in the browser.
- Co-founded a startup to deliver a relational database where data changes were automatically tracked just like Git does for source code.
Sinatra, Flask, Express.js, Twisted, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
Rake, Vagrant, Chef, Terraform, AWS SDK, Docker Compose, Packer, Puppet, Cucumber, Jira, Git, Vim Text Editor, Vault, Jenkins, RPM, Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR), Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), Confluence
Agile, REST, DevOps, ETL
Docker, Linux, Apache2, Oracle, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MySQL, RDBMS, PostgreSQL
Freelancing, Deployment, Development, QA Automation, Software QA, Ruby Gems, Agile Transformation, Software Development, Networks, Agile Sprints, Okta, LDAP, Workday
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics
Ripon College - Ripon, WI