Perl Developer in New York, NY, United States
Head of Devops2018 - PRESENTRoivant Sciences
Technologies: Ruby, Chef, AWS, Vagrant, Terraform, Packer, Vault, Jenkins, Python, NodeJS, Okta, SAML
- Created a devops team.
- Trained other developers.
- Built a complete operations infrastructure from scratch.
- Enabled developers to deploy over 10x/week without devops intervention.
SRE2017 - 2018Spotify
Technologies: Python, LDAP, SAML, Linux, Okta, Workday, Coupa
- Managed Okta installation, onboarding 300+ apps.
- Built Workday/LDAP/Okta integration for on- and off-boarding automation.
- Designed framework for further integrations to Workday, LDAP, and Okta.
- Supported custom Okta/Coupa integration.
Owner2014 - 2017Greenfish Bluefish
Technologies: Devops, Ruby, Python, Agile Transformation
- Built a consulting company with over six clients.
- Led agile transformations in all clients.
- Led devops transformations in most clients.
- Built a devops practice at a regional consulting company.
- Trained multiple sysadmins and developers as devops engineers.
Vice President2013 - 2014JP Morgan Chase
Technologies: Ruby, Puppet, Bash, Linux, RPM, NodeJS, Devops
- Designed operational processes for 240 NodeJS developers building the new Chase.com site.
- Architected NodeJS repository management for handling security issues.
- Built team to manage said operational processes.
- Mentored existing devops team on new processes, procedures, and methods.
Lead Engineer2012 - 2013Inflection
Technologies: Python, Twisted, Ruby, Perl, MySQL, AWS
- Led team launching 1940census.archives.gov on over 1,000 EC2 instances in three months.
- Built back-ends for identity.com to interface with over a dozen social sites using asynchronous Python.
- Ran a globally-distributed team across four timezones.
Head of ETL2009 - 2012Grant Street Group
Technologies: Perl, SQL, MySQL, Oracle, Linux, ETL
- Ran ETL team for two years, overseeing the onboarding of Miami-Dade county.
- Architected new ETL process allowing application code to be used instead of hand-crafted SQL.
- Worked on million-plus line Perl application.
- Created Cucumber-based startup for QA automation.
Consultant1999 - 2008Consulting (various)
- Designed and built data collection and ETL platform to ingest network maps from merged mobile operators.
- Maintained and extended application used to test mobile base stations by mimicking the network traffic from the telephone network.
- Designed and built reporting application that responded to changes in under two seconds. This required creating a denormalized reporting database.
- Co-founded startup to deliver a mapping application for roleplaying games where the users could create and edit maps in the browser.
- Co-founded startup to deliver a relational database where data changes were automatically tracked just like Git does for source code.
- In all cases, I make hard things easy and impossible things merely hard.
- DSL Maker (Development)https://github.com/robkinyon/ruby-dsl-maker
A library for writing multi-level DSLs in Ruby much easier than existing libraries.
- DBM::Deep (Development)https://github.com/robkinyon/dbm-deep
A Pure-Perl multi-level Hash/Array DBM that supports transactions.
- SimsLoader (Development)https://hub.docker.com/r/robkinyon/sims_loader/
A tool for generating simulated data in an RDBMS. It does so by reading your schema and figuring out what needs to be created in order to give you what you want.
- Packager DSL (Development)https://github.com/robkinyon/ruby-packager
A DSL for creating Debian and RPM packages.
FrameworksSinatra, Flask, Express.js, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
ToolsRake, Vagrant, Chef, Terraform, AWS SDK, Docker Compose, Packer, Puppet, Cucumber, Jira, AWS ECR, AWS ECS, Confluence
PlatformsDocker, Linux, Apache2, Oracle
StorageAWS S3, MySQL, RDBMS, AWS RDS, PostgreSQL
OtherDeployment, Development, QA Automation, Software QA, Ruby Gems, Agile Transformation, Bash Scripting, Networks, Agile Sprints
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Mathematics1993 - 1998Ripon College - Ripon, WI