- Web Developer2018 - PRESENTEngine Stores
Technologies: RoR, Postgres, Git, Amazon MWS, Fuse5 APIs
- Built a custom gateway to integrate the client's retail sales through Amazon with their existing Fuse5-based auto parts/sales infrastructure.
- Integrated with Amazon MWS. The gateway receives orders from Amazon and forwards them to Fuse5.
- Integrated with Fuse5 APIs. The system regularly queries Fuse5 for inventory updates and forwards that information to Amazon, taking into account pending orders so inventory can never be over-sold.
- Built an automatic exception identification and reporting so the system never "quietly" eats/hides a customer problem.
- Created and managed the VPS hosting environment, a DigitalOcean droplet.
- Web Developer2017 - PRESENTDigital Intelligence
- Developed a new website from scratch, including all front-end UI/UX/design and back-end/database.
- Provided full eCommerce support with a highly customized version of Solidus (Spree), Stripe integration, and shipment/rating integration.
- Created a bespoke ticketing system. Worked with all departments to identify needs, then built the system and workflows so the entire company now operates using this single, integrated ticket system.
- Identified/analyzed and implemented a number of business process improvements (e.g., automated customer quoting system).
- Provided back-end integration with the comany's existing accounting system.
- Consultant2014 - PRESENTPassware, Inc.
Technologies: Ruby, RoR, Web APIs, VPS, Apache, Passenger, Postgres, PHP/MySQL
- Architected and implemented database and processing to consolidate/normalize revenue reporting across multiple, international systems and sources.
- Built the in-house web UI allowing employees to query and interact with data in the back-end.
- Integrated data linkages with multiple APIs and services including Quandl, SmartyStreets, Xero, Freshbooks, Cleverbridge, Element5, and Digibuy.
- Successfully managed communication and integration across a nine time zone gap with the client.
- Member of the Board of Advisors2013 - PRESENTPIC Wire & Cable
Technologies: Board Member
- Reviewed company financial performance, competitive position, and macro-economic factors.
- Reviewed management progress on strategic initiatives (scorecard).
- Advised the company on strategic business decisions including acquisitions and major new product development initiatives.
- Consultant2011 - PRESENTHypothium, LLC
Technologies: LAMP stack, Ruby/RoR, Digital Ocean VPS
- Built a web application for the management of competitive scholastic chess clubs including stats-based rating algorithms with models based on those used by the US Chess Federation.
- Built a web application for the categorization and tracking of business acquisition targets for an aerospace and defense company.
- Built tools and processes to migrate customer and accounting information between cloud services for a chain of fitness studios in Germany.
- Back-end Developer2016 - 2017Toptal Client
Technologies: RoR, Postgres, Git, GitHub, HTML, CSS
- Worked with the client's back-end "payments" team on bug fixes and feature enhancements.
- Came up to speed and was productive almost immediately even though the client's team described the code base as having "befuddled" and "confused" other engineers.
- Implemented numerous and wide-ranging features with full test coverage.
- Architected and implemented a larger enhancement creating the ability to view end customer accounts "longitudinally" (e.g., transactions and behavior over time).
- President/Architect and Technical Lead2003 - 2011Tableau, LLC
Technologies: ARM7, FPGA, Custom Hardware for High-speed I/O, C/C++, Visual Studio, Qt
- Founded and presided over Tableau from inception to the sale of the business in 2010. $12+ million exit.
- Recruited all personnel, including engineering, sales and marketing, and operations.
- Led architecture. Selected hardware/software architecture, components, and product/development strategies.
- Spearheaded hands-on engineering spanning circuit design (schematic capture and PCB layout, FPGA development), ARM7 embedded firmware development, and C/C++/Visual Studio/Qt for host-side applications.
- Architected and led the implementation of the company website using Apache/PHP/MySQL.
- Enhanced the website for full I18n across six languages in support of international marketing/sales efforts. Quarterly I18n content refreshes.
- Consultant1999 - 2003Granite Digital
Technologies: C/C++/Obj-C, OS X, Cocoa, Quartz, Visual Studio/C/C#, ARM7, Embedded Hardware
- Architected and implemented several generations of high-speed I/O "bridge boards" to enable the client to enter a new product segment.
- Used ARM7 development tools to implement custom firmware.
- Developed host-side firmware-update utilities on OS X and Windows platforms.
- Developed OS X application to provide value-added functionality and differentiation for the hardware.
- Built the in-house web application to enable software key generation for the above OS X application.
- Consultant1999 - 2000Wind River Systems
Technologies: VxWorks, C, Embedded Systems
- Contracted to build the top-to-bottom, embedded USB driver stack for VxWorks.
- Architected and documented system for sale/deployment to WindRiver customers.
- Implemented ~40k lines of working, tested C code in ~10 months. Two months ahead of original project schedule. ~$300k fixed-fee engagement.
- Consultant1994 - 1997Canon Information Systems
Technologies: Micosoft C, Win32, Novell Netware, API
- Led the architecture for Canon's Multipass (multi-function printer/scanner/fax) host software team.
- Implemented Windows VxD and other driver-level components to enable communication with Canon MFD connected via IEEE 1284 interface.
- Architected and implemented distributed client-server system to allow intra-office sharing of network-enabled Canon MFD systems.
- Designed database back-end for a networked, client-server system.
- Desiged reuable code model allowing common code to be shared across Win32, Netware, and embedded execution environments.
- VP Engineering1984 - 1993Trantor Systems, Ltd.
Technologies: C, x86 and Z80 Assembly Language, OrCAD Schematic Capture, Xilinx FPGA
- Co-owned and served as VP Engineering until company sold in 1993. $10 million exit.
- Provided hands-on leadership/management of the engineering organization developing custom hardware and hard disk and CD-ROM device drivers for DOS, Windows 95, OS2, AIX, etc.
- Personally developed or oversaw the development of SCSI host adapters and related software with sales run rate of ~25ku/month in 1993.
- Architected and successfully implemented 3 ASICs.
- Oversaw most business development and contract negotiation with key customers and vendors.
- Filed mMultiple patents. Listed as inventory on one granted patent.