Owner2015 - PRESENTSkywaves Broadband
Technologies: Networking, Firewalls, Customer Support, Customer Service
- Founded a wireless internet provider in a rural town. From digging trenches for fiber to installing wireless radio equipment on antenna towers and rooftops, I managed all aspects of the operation.
- Led customer relations for customer acquisitions, support, and retention. This included on-site installations for customers and answering tech support phone calls, texts, and emails.
- Managed network infrastructure by maintaining connectivity and security through a series of firewalls, switching, and radio antennas. This also included monitoring and proactive monitoring and alerting.
- Supervised over 10 site locations with radio equipment, networking hardware, battery backups, and monitoring devices with remote management in case of network failures or maintenance.
DevOps Engineer2018 - 2021Rackspace Technology
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Terraform, React, AWS CloudFormation, Azure DevOps, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), DevOps
- Curated and deployed infrastructure on AWS for company clients. This required proofing architecture design with the clients. After client approval, I would build out the infrastructure while continually working with the client until completed.
- Helped design back-end process using Python and Terraform for multi-cloud automation using AWS, Azure, or GCP. This back end supports a single pane front end for building infrastructure on each specified cloud.
- Designed and developed a front-end component using React for a previous project I had worked on. The features allowed for data-driven content that was easier to maintain and operate than previous tools.
Senior DevOps Engineer2016 - 2018Sorenson Media
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), ELK (Elastic Stack), SaltStack, Ansible, Chef, Ruby, Python, AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Linux, DevOps, AWS ECS, Bitbucket
- Supported the development teams in code deployment and troubleshooting.
- Architected the CI/CD deployment process and strategies.
- Created many tools and processes to help improve integration with our CI/CD platform.
- Built a platform to improve the debug output of third-party devices for the company product.
- Performed many ROI and cost reductions with our cloud platform.
DevOps Engineer2015 - 2016EchoStar (now Sling TV)
Technologies: Python, CI/CD Pipelines, SaltStack, Chef, Ansible, Content Delivery Networks (CDN), NGINX, Varnish, ELK (Elastic Stack), Splunk, DevOps, Bamboo, Bitbucket
- Managed system and software deployments, upgrades, and maintenance. Used scaleability platforms such as Saltstack, Chef, and Ansible to manage these processes.
- Designed a command-line tool that would act as a media device such as an Apple TV or Roku to troubleshoot errors that were previously impossible to track down and had been causing daily outages. The tool was continually used to track the errors.
- Managed hundreds of CDN servers for media content. Many of these configurations were complex and spread over multiple regions to seed third-party CDN networks. A primary task was to mitigate the occasional cash flushing of a third-party CDN.
Senior DevOps Engineer2011 - 2015Ancestry
Technologies: Chef, Docker, GitHub, Stash, Artifactory, Jenkins, GoCD, DevOps, Bamboo, Bitbucket, Nagios
- Collaborated with a team to build a continuous delivery infrastructure for automated builds, tests, and deployments. Migrated hundreds of codebases deployed using a monthly roll to individual code rolls pushed live multiple times a day.
- Built and maintained process utilizing Chef for automating system provisioning, code builds, and deploys to a multi-environment network with unit testing and integration testing before rolling to production.
- Created and maintained core infrastructure pieces such as Chef, Stash, Go, Jenkins, and Artifactory and all other components related to builds and deployment processes.
- Contributed to plans to use microservices on Docker. Set up several test environments for developers to start using the services and design the deployment process.
Hadoop Architect2010 - 2011Ancestry
Technologies: Hadoop, MapR, Apache Hive, HBase, Puppet
- Designed and implemented multiple Hadoop solutions using Apache Hadoop, Hive, HBase, and Pig.
- Managed hardware specs and builds for MapReduce optimization. Monitored cluster utilization to create an efficient calibration of hardware and software.
- Automated the deployment and management of multiple clusters utilizing Puppet. Managed clusters consisted of as little as 10 nodes up to 60 nodes.
Senior Storage Administrator2006 - 2010Ancestry
Technologies: NetApp, Isilon, SAN Brocade, Commvault, SANs, Fabric, FibreChannel, EMC DataDomain
- Worked with a team managing all aspects of the storage environment. Managed SAN infrastructure using Brocade director-class switches. Managed 5+ petabytes of multitiered storage disk systems ranging from high-speed HA fiber channel disk systems.
- Designed, architected, and deployed a new technology to increase availability and reliability while helping reduce operational costs. This required keeping up to date on new and upcoming technology and products.
- Managed backup infrastructure with a 2,000 tape library. Managed data deduplication strategies with WAN optimization and helped design and implement remote DR facility to meet 15 minute RPO business requirements.
- Collaborated with multiple value-added resellers and vendors to fully maximize our value with our products as well as bring new products to the table. This had become a valuable asset to get the best product while getting better pricing.
Senior Unix/Linux Systems Administrator2001 - 2006Ancestry
Technologies: Linux, Unix, DNS, BIND, Cisco, Sendmail, Postfix, Perl, Shell Scripting, NAS Servers
- Performed regular maintenance, upgrades, log processing, and security updates for systems. Installed custom applications and software which required some development, including many operating systems such as RedHat, Solaris, Debian, and CentOS.
- Managed all storage systems running Unix/Linux and multi-tiered storage systems using a combination of near-line IDE/SCSI storage, NAS devices, and fiber channel storage.
- Assisted as a network administrator. Managed Cisco firewalls and switches.
- Managed all non-internal mail, including all customers, bulk mailings, bounce management, and blacklists. Also managed mailing lists that contained over 30,000 lists and over 600,000 users.
- Managed the migration of hardware that reduced footprint from seven full racks into half of a rack.