Robert is a freelance software engineer (full-stack) specializing in Python, Django, SQL, and Linux, with nine years of programming experience. He offers a wide array of programming and consulting services to those with technical research or business needs, and he particularly enjoys projects with a strong scientific spin.
ExperienceLinux - 8 yearsHTML - 7 yearsGit - 7 yearsMySQL - 7 yearsPython - 5 yearsjQuery - 4 yearsDjango - 3 yearsCoffeeScript - 2 years
The most amazing...
...web application I've developed is a multi-widget dashboard providing extensive data analysis and visualization of users' daily word usage and verbal patterns.
Prentke Romich Company
- Helped PRC's engineering department modernize their flagship AAC software suite.
- Re-developed product features in Python originally written in C/C++.
- Provided support for multiple platforms, including Windows and Android.
- Wrote and submitted numerous design proposals to be approved by PRC prior to development.
- Worked closely with the PRC software team to integrate new features.
- Designed and developed several highly complex features, including a word/spelling prediction algorithm and a content translation utility.
- Wrote extensive unit testing and documentation for each module submitted.
- Worked closely with the researchers at Blackland Research and Extension Center to produce a practical and scientifically accurate tool to delineate watersheds.
- Learned how to read topographical GIS data as input and output vector graphs and images representative of the stream network existing within the local area.
- Wrote complete documentation of the tool and the underlying API. Published the documentation in both PDF and HTML format.
- Developed a robust error catching library to handle troublesome input data.
- Wrote extensive unit tests.
Prentke Romich Company
- Developed a custom web application that analyzes and graphs the speech patterns of PRC's clientele (https://realizelanguage.com/info/).
- Gained experience with the development, testing, and release process of a for-profit web application.
- Learned and mastered the Yii PHP web framework.
- Leveraged many languages, libraries, and technologies to provide a robust final product.
- Integrated multiple back-end and front-end processes to produce a seamless, feature-filled user experience.
Prentke Romich Company
- Developed and supported the company's flagship AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication) software suite, written in C/C++.
- Developed and supported "eye tracking" technology capable of tracking what/where a user's eyes are looking at on a tablet screen.
- Investigated and explored the latest offerings in cutting edge software technology and how it might be leveraged in the company's future products.
- Pioneered a first-pass prototype of (what would become) the company's next generation of software.
- Authored and maintained numerous functional and technical specification.
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Developed an open-source optic modeling tool written in Python: github.com/foxsi/foxsi-optics-sim.
- Created a model of an X-ray grazing optic module (the FOXSI telescope) that simulates how rays enter and leave the module.
- Made extensive use of Numpy/SciPy science packages.
- Made extensive use of mathematical and scientific computing background.
- Included complete documentation of code and background science.
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- Researched how artificial neural networks might be best used to predict certain physical properties in tires given different rubber formulations.
- Produced a MATLAB-powered tool capable of performing the property prediction, which Goodyear later incorporated into its rubber simulations.
- Gained extensive experience with MATLAB and general model building strategies.
- Gave multiple presentations and demos of the tool.
- Wrote a complete report on project and its results for Goodyear's internal use.
Ticka (Python Script)
Trip Manager (Web Application)
* Django-powered back-end
* Registration/Login/User Permissions
* AJAX-powered forms and tables
* Advanced data search and filtering
* RESTful API
Django, Django REST Framework, Yii 2, OAuth 2, Qt
Git, Terminal, Sublime Text, LaTeX, Apache, MATLAB, Adobe Photoshop
Linux, Ubuntu, Windows, MacOS
Pandas, Google Ads API, NumPy, SciPy, jQuery UI, jQuery, Google API, Facebook API, OpenGL
Master of Science Degree in Applied Mathematics
University of Washington - Seattle, WA, USA
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mathematics/Computer Science
The College of Wooster - Wooster, Ohio, USA