Robin van der Vleuten
Verified Expert in Engineering
Robin is a seasoned full-stack developer with over 12 years of experience working across the entire development lifecycle. He helped startups launch their first products and coached aspiring developers at a Fortune 50 company. With his design and marketing education, Robin can play a pivotal role between business, strategy, and engineering. While having lead experience, he also has solid knowledge of how to build robust enterprise-ready web applications.
MacOS, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Git, Slack
The most amazing...
...project I've led is the development on the Dutch government web platform, used by millions of Dutch citizens on a daily basis.
- Acted as the lead developer, leading the development team that restructured the original Node.js MVP to a Ruby on Rails application to have a solid foundation before continuing iterating with new features.
- Designed the platform in an event-driven architecture to enable managing thousands of WhatsApp conversations simultaneously.
- Used a strong and proven tech stack as a foundation to coordinate a team of 4+ developers working on multiple portfolio products at the same time.
- Led the development team and architected the event-driven API platform. We went from idea to production with the first B2B customers in five months.
- Built a platform that can process thousands of cancellations per day and uses multiple sending methods like the post, email, and fax through a uniform API to deliver them to almost every European country.
- Defined company processes related to project management, such as overseeing the company's product roadmap and introducing team standups.
- Grew the development team, interviewing potential candidates and validating their skills through technical assignments.
- Upgraded the legacy Rails applications to their latest version.
React Trainer and Coach
- Held training that included live sessions explaining React basics and patterns through video and one-on-one coaching on advanced topics like Redux and E2E testing with Cypress.
Senior Front-end Developer
- Developed a React Native application used by thousands of households to get insights into their energy and gas consumption. It was powered by an IoT device installed in the user's house.
- Architected a core library to build both the React and the React Native applications.
- Created rich screens containing interactive animated charts built with D3.js, like showing the user's solar generation versus its electricity consumption in real time.
- Coordinated the modernization of several client projects as the technical team lead.
- Architected the foundations of a car-sharing platform.
- Created a command-line script for migrating thousands of calendar events of large enterprise organizations (Fortune 500) to their new Exchange environment.
- Set up a Kubernetes cluster for a multi-tenant Rails application.
- Upgrading legacy Rails applications to their latest version.
- Consulted to help rebuild the company's current content management platform to a headless API powered by Drupal.
- Acted as a consultant and coach, advising the development team on their choices related to React, server-side rendering, CSS-in-JS, and GraphQL in combination with Drupal.
- Utilized technologies like React, GraphQL, and Drupal and established a modern stack to build future websites for clients.
Senior Front-end Developer
- Developed a customer-facing application for users to manage their accounts and subscription.
- Architected the GraphQL API as input for the back-end developers.
- Helped the development team of 5+ gain experience as React developers.
- Led the development of a helpdesk application used by hundreds of government employees across multiple municipalities on a daily basis.
- Architected the event-driven application with a React single-page application as the front end and a Symfony API as the back end.
- Improved and iterated the functionality by spectating actual users using the application on their day-to-day tasks.
- Led the development of the Dutch government platform called MijnOverheid, used by all citizens in The Netherlands on a daily basis.
- Architected a design system together with the lead designer to add consistency to the design and improve accessibility.
- Made an asynchronous foundation with ReactPHP to handle communications between the platform and tens of other APIs used by the Dutch government.
- Led a team of four developers to deliver a full-fledged intranet in six months.
- Architected the intranet functionality based on the requirements of the product owner.
- Developed all custom modules to be used within the project. These modules contained functionality that couldn't be achieved through the available modules in the Drupal community.
As the CTO of the company, I designed and built the initial foundation of the platform. I helped the first B2B partners integrate through the API and iterate its specs from their feedback. I also architected an event-driven system that allows cancellations to be sent through multiple sending services for specific European countries and their requirements, such as DeutschePost, La Poste, and PostNL.
The event-driven platform can manage thousands of conversations in parallel. it also contains a GraphQL-powered admin area where employers can create and manage their quizzes.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Stimulus, Symfony 2, Tailwind CSS, Symfony, OAuth 2, Next.js, Express.js, Redux, Cypress, React Native
React, Sidekiq, REST APIs, Node.js, API Development, Vue, WhatsApp API, jQuery, D3.js, ReactPHP
API Architecture, E2E Testing
Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Heroku, Kubernetes, Drupal, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Elasticsearch
Turbolinks, Software Consulting, Responsive UI, Full-stack, Front-end, API Integration, Back-end, WhatsApp, Real-time Data, Interactive UI, Web Development, Web App Development, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), WebSockets, Architecture, Software Architecture, Internet of Things (IoT), Content Management Systems (CMS), Intranets
Bachelor's Degree in Information and Communication Technology
Fontys University of Applied Sciences - Eindhoven, Netherlands
Certified Symfony Expert
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring