- Head of Research & DevelopmentSQR Systems Ltd.2014 - 2016
Technologies: IoT, Image Processing, H.264, Opus, RESTful, Ansible, Python, Flask, VoIP, Android, NDK, C, C++11, React.js, MQTT, Node.js, VoIP, SIP, AWS, Stripe, MySQL
- Created new technology in C++ combining computer vision with video compression. Used the outcome of computer vision algorithms as input variables to the video encoding/decoding algorithms. Communicated feature-sets between sensors through a mesh organization.
- Developed back-end microsystems for account management and payment systems in Python (Flask) and PHP Slim, integrating with Stripe.
- Managed and delivered a number of projects to customers— from bidding process through to final delivery. Built technology to answer specific, immediate business requirements.
- Determined the technical innovation strategy, and translated this into the product development roadmap with the the head of engineering.
- Determined the direction of the long-term mobile app product roadmap and worked with the head of engineering to translate it to sprint planning.
- Software DeveloperSQR Systems Ltd.2013 - 2014
Technologies: Video Codecs, C, C++11, Android, Android NDK, Streaming, RTP, Python, MySQL
- Created the initial architecture of C++ video compression and encryption codebase upon joining company as the second employee. Responsible for maintaining code documentation and code testing processes.
- Developed novel algorithms combining video compression and data encryption in C++. Brought encryption into the heart of the video compression pipeline.
- Created the first Android app prototype. Used novel IP in the C++ codebase, through the Android NDK.
- Wrote project bids for a number of research funding projects and commercial contracts.
- Research EngineerBBC R&D2009 - 2013
Technologies: Machine Learning, Text Processing, Image Processing, Bundle Adjustment, Speech to Text, Content Recommendation, AMQP, AWS, Codecs, Arduino, Xapian, Embedded Systems
- Implemented an automated solution for linked data tagging of over 70,000 radio programs using Amazon Web Services and RabbitMQ. CMU Sphinx was used for speech-to-text, combined with text processing and disambiguation using the topology of DBpedia tags. Developed a web front-end and an API in Python for control and logging of the automated system.
- Researched a new concept for immersive 3D environment exploration called "The Holohelmet." Built a bundle-adjustment based solution for determining the user's position in a room using a small camera placed on a pair of headphones, and clusters of infra-red LEDs attached to the ceiling as markers. Added an augmented reality projected over the environment using a pico-projector.
- Co-authored a patent on a solution for determining program start time from an EPG-based recording, by correlating incidental signals in the DVB transport stream using a global alignment algorithm. Implemented on a set-top box VM, moving the algorithm offsite, as a centralized RESTful API.
- Contract DeveloperRobertson Technology (Freelance)2008 - 2008
- Scoped-out, designed, and developed ticketing web app for use by a managed services company.
- Contract DeveloperOwen Russell Group (Freelance)2007 - 2007
Technologies: ASP.NET, SQL Server
- Developed a data room intranet web application product for the BBC.
- Built a change management intranet web application product for the BBC.
- Performed risk analysis and built a strategy for migrating other product codebases to the latest version of ASP.NET.
- Co-Founder | Web DeveloperFluideConcept2002 - 2005
Technologies: PHP, MySQL
- Founded a web development consultancy while in a high school in Switzerland.
- Developed a number of websites for local businesses focusing on public web presence and intranet portals. Worked with a development stack primarily made up of PHP and MySQL.