Verified Expert in Engineering
Machine Learning Developer
Roderick is a full-stack developer with over a decade of applied research and product development experience focused on video streaming, computer vision, and natural language processing. Roderick has taken a leadership role in delivering projects ranging from a machine learning platform deployed at scale for the BBC to several innovative real-time audio/video products for which he designed and developed both the software and cloud architecture.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, Atom, Ubuntu, Git, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was a system that was able to automatically identify keywords in over 20,000 hours of audio recordings in a matter of days.
Head of Research and Development
SQR Systems Ltd.
- Created new technology in C++ combining computer vision with video compression. Used the outcome of computer vision algorithms as input variables to the video encoding/decoding algorithms. Communicated feature-sets between sensors through a mesh organization.
- Developed back-end microsystems for account management and payment systems in Python (Flask) and PHP Slim, integrating with Stripe.
- Managed and delivered a number of projects to customers—from bidding process through to final delivery.
- Chose and built technology to answer specific, immediate business requirements.
- Established the technical innovation strategy and translated this into the product development roadmap with the head of engineering.
- Determined the direction of the long-term mobile app product roadmap and worked with the head of engineering to translate it to sprint planning.
SQR Systems Ltd.
- Created the initial architecture of C++ video compression and encryption codebase upon joining the company as the second employee.
- Maintained code documentation and code testing processes.
- Developed novel algorithms combining video compression and data encryption in C++.
- Brought encryption into the heart of the video compression pipeline.
- Created the first Android app prototype. Used novel IP in the C++ codebase, through the Android NDK.
- Wrote project bids for a number of research funding projects and commercial contracts.
- Implemented a RESTful API for portability to other projects.
- Created an automated solution for linked data tagging of over 70,000 radio programs using Amazon Web Services and RabbitMQ. CMU Sphinx was used for speech-to-text, combined with text processing and disambiguation using the topology of DBpedia tags.
- Developed a web front end and an API in Python for control and logging of the automated system.
- Researched a new concept for immersive 3D environment exploration called "The Holohelmet."
- Built a bundle-adjustment based solution for determining the user's position in a room using a small camera placed on a pair of headphones, and clusters of infra-red LEDs attached to the ceiling as markers.
- Added an augmented reality projected over the environment using a pico-projector.
- Co-authored a patent on a solution for determining program start time from an EPG-based recording, by correlating incidental signals in the DVB transport stream using a global alignment algorithm.
- Implemented a set-top box VM, moving the algorithm offsite, as a centralized RESTful API.
Contract Developer (Freelance)
- Scoped-out, designed, and developed a ticketing web app for use by a managed services company.
Contract Developer (Freelance)
Owen Russell Group
- Developed a data room intranet web application product for the BBC.
- Built a change management intranet web application product for the BBC.
- Performed a risk analysis and created a strategy for migrating other product codebases to the latest version of ASP.NET.
Co-founder | Web Developer
- Founded a web development consultancy while in a high school in Switzerland.
- Developed a number of websites for local businesses focusing on the public web presence and intranet portals.
- Worked with a development stack primarily made up of PHP and MySQL.
Automated Semantic Tagging of Speech Audiohttp://thenextweb.com/video/2012/09/17/tnw-ibc-the-bbc-describes-automatic-tagging-world-service-archive/
Open Standards for Video Communications in Military Operations
Ceerus Secure Voice and Video Calling Mobile App
Flip Cam Mobile Apphttps://techcrunch.com/video/flip-cam/519307642/
WebRTC, REST APIs, React, PJSIP, AMQP, Stripe, Node.js, NDK, TensorFlow, OpenCV
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Web, Arduino, MacOS, Ubuntu, Android
SIP, VoIP, Audio Streaming, Video Streaming, Audio Codecs, Video Codecs, H.264, Cloud, Recommendation Systems, IoT Protocols, Technical Project Management, Text Processing, Opus, Image Processing, Machine Learning, Internet of Things (IoT), Streaming, RTP, Speech to Text, Torch, Embedded Systems
Unity, Flask, Django, ASP.NET, CODE, Android SDK, Apache Spark
Ansible, Android NDK, Node-RED, MQTT, Git, Atom, PyCharm, IntelliJ IDEA, Bundler, RabbitMQ
RESTful Development, Web App Design, Model View Controller (MVC), Agile Software Development, REST
MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Xapian, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, SlimPHP
Bachelor of Science Degree with Honors in Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science
University of Edinburgh - Edinburgh, UK