Head of Research and Development2014 - 2016SQR Systems Ltd.
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), MySQL, Stripe, AWS, SIP, Node.js, MQTT, React, C++11, C, NDK, Android, VoIP, Flask, Python, Ansible, RESTful Development, RESTful APIs, Opus, H.264, Image Processing, Internet of Things (IoT)
- Created new technology in C++ combining computer vision with video compression. Used the outcome of computer vision algorithms as input variables to the video encoding/decoding algorithms. Communicated feature-sets between sensors through a mesh organization.
- Developed back-end microsystems for account management and payment systems in Python (Flask) and PHP Slim, integrating with Stripe.
- Managed and delivered a number of projects to customers—from bidding process through to final delivery.
- Chose and built technology to answer specific, immediate business requirements.
- Established the technical innovation strategy and translated this into the product development roadmap with the head of engineering.
- Determined the direction of the long-term mobile app product roadmap and worked with the head of engineering to translate it to sprint planning.
Software Developer2013 - 2014SQR Systems Ltd.
Technologies: MySQL, Python, RTP, Streaming, Android NDK, Android, C++11, C, Video Codecs
- Created the initial architecture of C++ video compression and encryption codebase upon joining the company as the second employee.
- Maintained code documentation and code testing processes.
- Developed novel algorithms combining video compression and data encryption in C++.
- Brought encryption into the heart of the video compression pipeline.
- Created the first Android app prototype. Used novel IP in the C++ codebase, through the Android NDK.
- Wrote project bids for a number of research funding projects and commercial contracts.
Research Engineer2009 - 2013BBC R&D
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), CODE, Bundler, Embedded Systems, Xapian, Arduino, AWS, AMQP, Speech to Text, Image Processing, Text Processing, Machine Learning
- Implemented a RESTful API for portability to other projects.
- Created an automated solution for linked data tagging of over 70,000 radio programs using Amazon Web Services and RabbitMQ. CMU Sphinx was used for speech-to-text, combined with text processing and disambiguation using the topology of DBpedia tags.
- Developed a web front end and an API in Python for control and logging of the automated system.
- Researched a new concept for immersive 3D environment exploration called "The Holohelmet."
- Built a bundle-adjustment based solution for determining the user's position in a room using a small camera placed on a pair of headphones, and clusters of infra-red LEDs attached to the ceiling as markers.
- Added an augmented reality projected over the environment using a pico-projector.
- Co-authored a patent on a solution for determining program start time from an EPG-based recording, by correlating incidental signals in the DVB transport stream using a global alignment algorithm.
- Implemented a set-top box VM, moving the algorithm offsite, as a centralized RESTful API.
Contract Developer (Freelance)2008 - 2008Robertson Technology
- Scoped-out, designed, and developed a ticketing web app for use by a managed services company.
Contract Developer (Freelance)2007 - 2007Owen Russell Group
Technologies: Microsoft SQL Server, ASP.NET
- Developed a data room intranet web application product for the BBC.
- Built a change management intranet web application product for the BBC.
- Performed a risk analysis and created a strategy for migrating other product codebases to the latest version of ASP.NET.
Co-founder | Web Developer2002 - 2005FluideConcept
Technologies: MySQL, PHP
- Founded a web development consultancy while in a high school in Switzerland.
- Developed a number of websites for local businesses focusing on the public web presence and intranet portals.
- Worked with a development stack primarily made up of PHP and MySQL.