Data Science Consultant2020 - PRESENTStanford Department of Medicine, HealthRex
Technologies: Google BigQuery, ETL, Python, Machine Learning
- Built an open-source, dataset-agnostic ETL module to serve protected health information for machine learning research.
- Trained and certified by CITI and Stanford's HIPAA training to work with protected patient data.
- Documented best practices, including publishing a Python package.
Data Science Consultant2020 - PRESENTFreelance
Technologies: Microsoft Excel, Jupyter, Pandas, Python
- Collaborated with an investigative journalist on an article on immigration published in FiveThirtyEight.
- Served as a judge in data.org's Inclusive Growth and Recovery Challenge, a competition to spur data science for social impact with $10 million in prize money.
- Collated public government data into a single cohesive dataset to estimate Covid-19's effect on the November elections.
- Explored automating data collection on Chinese censorship for the art project Firewall Cafe.
Back-end Lead2019 - PRESENTThespie
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS, PostgreSQL, Pandas, Django, React
- Designed and built a content recommendation engine using Python machine learning libraries and AWS for theater-related streaming content.
- Cut major Django API call times by ~80%. Built profile, news, search, and user list pages.
- Designed and built a system for storing user data. Wrote feasibility studies on TV apps, paywall integration, and user rating prediction.
Software Engineer2019 - 2019FinOptimal (freelance)
Technologies: QuickBooks, OAuth 2, Pandas, Python
- Built an OAuth2 integration module for connecting the codebase with the Quickbooks API.
- Automated the payroll journal entry creation for several of FinOptimal's clients.
- Ported tens of thousands of lines of code into Python 3.
Front-end Engineer2018 - 2018Nimbus IoT (freelance)
- Delivered a dashboard for visualizing contaminants in water and air from a network of sensors built on Angular, Node, and D3.
- Built a data store to centralize front-end data handling, improving code modularity and speed.
- Collaborated with back-end developers to ensure that data sent to the front-end was well-structured and compact.
- Prototyped new charts with Nimbus based on client feedback.
- Discovered and pin-pointed the source of an in-browser memory leak using Python for data analysis.
- Prototyped and built timeline, multi-bar, and custom pollutants chart with D3 and CSS.
- Advised on the best way of representing data for user understanding.
Software Engineering Consultant2018 - 2018Rheos Medicines (consulting)
- Built a dashboard from the ground up for use by Rheos scientists to explore the effects of disease on the human metabolome, working with the client from design to delivery.
- Developed the ability to switch between multiple dataset renderings, visualising the effects of different substances on the metabolome.
- Built the front end with D3.js, Node, Express, and Google Maps API that renders in less than a second.
- Built a pipeline with Python and Pandas which renders tiles for over 40,000 objects at seven zoom scales, taking in an Excel file and outputting image tiles for the front end.
- Created a search and URL integration for specifying a particular metabolite and dataset.
- Built a search functionality using jQuery to quickly find any node in the graph.
- Modularized the rendering pipeline so that any future dataset could be easily rendered.
Software Engineer2017 - 2018NuMedii (freelance)
- Developed a graph-based dashboard for scientists to see results of NuMedii's proprietary enrichment algorithm and explore the relationship between drugs, genes, and diseases.
- Co-authored a paper on drug discovery in rare and complex diseases.
- Worked with CSO and CTO to develop the right interface for expanding disease signatures and drug enrichments.
- Streamlined code for building and simulating the graph using D3.js, a 10x speed improvement.
- Integrated MongoDB with a proxy for serving data to the front end.
Software Engineer2016 - 2017GoChip (contract)
- Developed major features for React Native and React + Electron desktop apps.
- Built a user-facing update and caching process for the desktop app.
- Collected and analysed data with Python to help the development team make technical decisions.
- Wrote a proxy server with Node.js for cryptographic keys that improved load times of our app several-fold.
- Built and tested RESTful architecture for user administration.
Data Science Mentor2015 - 2016Thinkful (freelance)
Technologies: Scikit-learn, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Pandas, Python
- Assisted data science students to understand concepts and successfully graduate from the course.
- Contributed updates to course materials, improving clarity.
- Guided students through understanding of KMeans, kNN, SVM, and other ML topics.
- Produced my own models using datasets of bike rentals, weather, GDP, and loans using the Python data science stack and MySQL.
- Provided feedback and advice on students' keystone project, using a topic and dataset of their choice.
Research Engineer2012 - 2015Center for Game Science, University of Washington
Technologies: Box2D, Python, ActionScript
- Co-developed the synthetic biology research game Nanocrafter.
- Spearheaded a social scoring model for the game (recognized in an award).
- Demonstrated our lab's work at DARPA Demo Days 2014 at the Pentagon.
- Rebuilt the game physics engine to be based on Box2D.
- Assisted Synthetic Biology researchers in their learning ramp-up for new players.