Verified Expert in Engineering
Web UI Developer
Ryan is a self-taught designer and front-end developer with over two decades of experience. He specializes in web app design and custom WordPress development. He coded his first website in 1996, then spent eight years as co-founder of a small digital agency, where he worked with dozens of clients on over 50 websites and countless design projects. Ryan is an excellent, timely communicator who enjoys learning, problem-solving, and delivering a delightful user experience.
GitHub, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), MacOS, Figma, Adobe CC, HubSpot, WordPress
The most amazing...
...project I designed was a custom poker set: chips in 5 denominations, 2 decks of playing cards, a dealer button, 4 challenge coin designs, and a felt table top.
- Designed over 50 individual screens for our beta web app using Figma and industry best practices. Incorporated feedback from a dozen design partners to iterate on the most critical parts of our product.
- Sourced talent for and project managed a large icon design project for 100+ AWS services icons.
- Designed and developed HTML emails, assisted with logo design, and created custom GitHub banners, Google Workspace product icons, and Product Hunt gallery images for an upcoming product launch.
- Provided digital and marketing support for our small team, primarily focused on updating client sites to WordPress and streamlining marketing operations.
- Built and maintained an internal company dashboard that connects to various APIs to consolidate marketing reporting.
- Helped develop a proprietary API for expanding the client's ability to sell products and services.
Lead UI Designer
- Designed and coded updates for the primary, customer-facing website at GoSpotCheck.com and the internal, employee-facing websites, all of which are built on the WordPress platform.
- Created an email builder form that allows marketing team members to generate and download HTML emails. This reduces delivery time and ensures each email has already undergone the necessary quality assurance.
- Sketched, wireframed, prototyped, and designed mobile interfaces for a new image-recognition app.
- Created an integration with WordPress that displays current customer data on a password-protected web page using the Salesforce API.
- Automated site deployments with DeployBot, WP Engine, and Slack to reduce the number of bugs released to production.
- Developed a responsive version of DCPA's website to ensure maximum usability for the organization's growing mobile-first population.
- Created and managed Faction Media's customer-facing website at FactionMedia.com.
3 Roads Media
- Designed the packaging and managed the print production for three private label food brands sold in Asian and South American markets.
- Grew the business from zero revenue to six figures within five years and maintained year-over-year growth for five of the business' seven years of operation.
- Hired and mentored two employees, one contractor and one intern.
- Managed, designed, or coded over 50 websites that were primarily built on the WordPress platform.
- Created the branding and built a new tourism website for the City of Blackhawk, Colorado, to increase the city's brand awareness and drive in new visitors.
- Coordinated a casting call and photoshoot at a private country club for a golf apparel company.
- Built a social networking site on the ExpressionEngine platform that gave its users a score based on how "normally" they answered the given questions.
Custom WordPress Pricing Calculator for an Online Printing Companyhttps://www.dazzleprinting.com/online-printing/book-printing/
The client has said that these custom calculators have been invaluable to the business and have solved the old problems of not having visibility into pricing, having to engage a developer to make simple pricing changes, and not providing customers with an intuitive form for building custom print orders.
The calculators also integrate with WooCommerce and validate user input on both the client and server sides to prevent price manipulation.
Custom Vue.js Web App for Searching and Saving Cocktail Recipeshttps://findyournextdrink.com/
This app allows you to search by multiple ingredients, names, sources, tags, and more. You can save drinks to a list of favorites and keep track of when you last made them.
This Vue.js app integrates with Algolia for blazing fast search, Firebase for data storage, and Firebase Hosting.
Custom Website Design and Buildhttps://moduspersona.com
Salesforce API Request for an Access Token
The script cannot be run independently; one would need to set up an application within Salesforce and capture a client secret and client ID. A Salesforce account is also required; however, I feel this is a good example of a typical PHP script that I would write in my day-to-day job and is representative of my work.
Figma, Adobe Photoshop, GitHub, Adobe CC, Vue CLI
WordPress, WordPress Theme Design, WooCommerce, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), MacOS, Algolia, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Webflow
Layout Design, APIs, Front-end Development, Web UX, Web App UI, Complex Application User Interfaces (UI), Web UI, HubSpot, Editorial Design, Web Development, Web Project Management, Graphic Design, Firebase Hosting, B2C Marketing, Web App UX, Design Systems, Agile Sprints, Web App Development, Food Packaging
Vue, jQuery, WordPress API, Firebase Web SDK
Web App Design, UI Design, Visual Design, Web UI Design, Web UX Design, UX Design
Master's Degree in Business Administration
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Business
University of Colorado - Boulder, Colorado, USA
AWS Cloud Practitioner Essentials
Amazon Web Services
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring