Verified Expert in Engineering
Ryan is a team-focused engineer with a passion for inclusive and accessible design. He has a strong track record of leadership in web app development with 10+ years of experience. He's a cross-team collaborator, emphasizing project and task status transparency and having critical discussions with engineering, product, and design. Ryan is also a pragmatic developer focusing on design patterns, excellent at Agile methodologies and rapid release cycles.
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), React, Node.js, CSS, Styled-components, Design Systems, Next.js, TypeScript
The most amazing...
...project I've ever worked on is Movement by Uber, a map-based web app to visualize aggregated and anonymized trip data to surface insights about transportation.
Lead Web Engineer
- Set up the foundational web application framework and libraries such as TypeScript, React, GraphQL, and Next.js and configured the build and deployment pipelines.
- Integrated a third-party identity service, Okta, and related UI flows, including account activation, login, forgot password, and session management using JWT, token validation, and session cookies.
- Implemented various core MVP features such as an AI-powered symptom checker with third-party API integration, state management, and UX.
- Managed three web developers (two seniors and one junior), providing guidance on technological direction, mentorship, and pair programming.
Senior Front-end Engineer
- Helped lead a brand refresh, including a complete overhaul of the home page design system and layout.
- Designed and implemented a responsive layout framework to be used across multiple teams and use cases.
- Developed the commute module, a map-based personalization feature to give home shoppers information on commute times to essential points of interest such as workplaces and schools.
- Designed and built the Zillow 404 page as a part of a hackathon that won first prize in its category and was selected to become a production project.
- Contributed to the internal CI/CD platform called Sandcastle. Improved the scheduled job reporting UI to enhance the developer experience. This included displaying confidence intervals and a streamlined error stack display.
- Created a reusable job status display component that was adopted by the Facebook design systems team.
- Built data visualization tooling to report resource usage and capacity metrics that helped managers better plan for spikes in consumption (intern season).
- Contributed to Uber Movement, a map-based web application that surfaced aggregated and anonymized trip data to urban planners.
- Owned and maintained Uber Design, a website used to showcase the internal design projects at Uber. This site was used to engage with the community and recruit top talent.
- Built an internal tool named Atlas to help operations teams understand how Uber operated in various regions. It collected and combined a range of data points, including mobility data, cultural norms, and technology infrastructure.
Lead Web Developer
- Led the engineering and UX direction of our consumer-facing application, Points loyalty wallet, where users could view their balances, exchange points across programs, and redeem rewards as gift cards to a range of popular retailers.
- Developed a white-label solution to integrate into our partner websites as an embeddable web application.
Zillow Home Details Pagehttps://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2918-1st-Ave-N-Seattle-WA-98109/48953477_zpid/
I developed the core contribution guidelines and patterns to be used, as well as implementing new features. Our team managed all aspects of the overall health of the web application, including build and deploy pipelines, unit and integration testing, production monitoring, and bug triage.
The service is powered by React as the core UI library, Express and Node.js as the server-side rendering layer, and GraphQL as the data provider. The design system is built using styled-components to provide a consistent visual language across all modules.
Movement by Uber
As a front-end developer for this project, I implemented the UX, including auth, map interaction, search form fields, and geospatial data (GeoJSON).
Next.js, Express.js, Redux, Relay, Angular
React, Node.js, Three.js, D3.js, MobX
Adobe After Effects, Figma, NPM, Lerna, Webpack, After Effects CC
Agile, Modular CSS
Styled-components, Design Systems, Responsive UI, Lottie, Maps, A11Y, i18n, APIs, GitHub Actions, Animation, RPC
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Digital Arts and Experimental Media
University of Washington - Seattle, WA