Verified Expert in Engineering
Sam is a full-stack developer who excels at Node.js and React projects with experience at both small startups and established companies. He rolled out a React on Rails site that shares information about water utility companies across the globe in under four weeks. Sam thrives on finding elegant and extensible solutions to challenging problems and has a principled approach to testing, ensuring that edge cases are captured and that code is robust and reliable.
Slack, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), MacOS
The most amazing...
...tool I built was a JSON crawler that could identify and fix data discrepancies between what was then available in various endpoints and what we had stored.
- Helped launch a female empowerment network's website and app, building features such as messaging, video content, and a blog article hub.
- Built the site of a luxury watch and jewelry store in London, utilizing a headless CMS architecture with DatoCMS and Shopify to enable the client to update practically all site content without code changes.
- Introduced automated testing with Jest and also provided training resources and 1:1 mentoring for more junior devs to help them get up to speed.
- Conducted research of new tools and participated in technical scoping with product managers and designers, particularly with regard to the balance between long-term costs vs. cost of a custom solution.
- Developed new and existing internal tools to manage product and order details.
- Built new components (React Native for web) in the shared component package for use across the company's suite of apps.
- Wrote Splunk queries for graphs and alerts to properly monitor the performance and status of the product.
- Developed new features and fixed existing bugs for an end client’s legacy website coded in Sails and Angular 1.
- Took over a previously abandoned project utilizing AWS serverless architecture, which required thorough investigation and testing to ascertain the status of the project and what work remained to satisfy client acceptance criteria.
- Led a project that required regular and close communication with the project manager, business analyst, and client to ensure that acceptance criteria and business requirements were fully understood and met within the decided timeframe.
- Set up and wrote Cucumber (BDD) tests, collaborating closely with the QA engineer to cover key user stories.
- Maintained multiple services to handle the retrieval, aggregation, storing, and augmentation of physical activity sessions in the sports and exercise industry, as well as another pipeline for handling bookings.
- Maintained and upgraded a search API enabling front ends to sort and filter the data we'd stored, significantly improving the response time through changes introduced to the data storage layer.
- Participated in community standards meetings to establish and provide feedback on the OpenActive activity data specifications we used in our v2 release.
- Assisted in the rewrite of the entire codebase, moving it over to Node.js or ensuring that it met standards and business requirements.
- Developed a React timetable to display exercise class data on the front ends. This was made as an iframe widget with minimal configuration on the client's part.
Leading Utilities of the Worldhttps://www.leadingutilities.org
React, Node.js, REST APIs, React Native for Web
Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Object-oriented Programming (OOP)
APIs, Mentorship, Web Scraping, Storybook, Styled-components, Serverless, Content Management Systems (CMS)
Jest, React Native, Next.js
Git, Cucumber, Mocha, Slack, RabbitMQ, Splunk, Terraform
Algolia, MacOS, Heroku, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
PostgreSQL, Data Pipelines