Verified Expert in Engineering
Database Administrator and Developer
Sam is a database administrator and developer with over 15 years of demonstrated experience in IT and a proven history for delivering exceptional software products. Thanks to his passion for building strong teams of individuals—and getting the most out of them—along with optimizing processes, Sam excels at helping a business become more efficient. Sam joined Toptal so that he could use his expansive and in-depth SQL knowledge to make meaningful, impactful contributions within an organization.
Linux, Windows, MySQL Workbench, SQL, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), CODE, Visual Studio
The most amazing...
...project I've developed is an OLTP database system to support a SaaS application with sub-second transaction response times and manage over 2TB as active data.
Apex Supply Chain Technologies
- Developed a database to house a mobile application using a Postgres database.
- Architected and developed business insight mart infrastructure.
- Developed a data-mart to report on two distinct platforms using Amazon Aurora Postgres.
- Worked with Debezium Kafka-connects to ingest data from MS SQL, MySQL and AWS DynamoDB and store to Kafka topics.
- Developed a service to read Kafka topics and route them into a Postgres database using Python.
Senior Database Administrator
Apex Supply Chain Technology
- Migrated an existing app database using Oracle 11g to Microsoft SQL Server hosted on Azure. The tasks involved a lot of details—converting exiting schemas to their equivalent in Microsoft SQL Server and data type conversion with minimal data loss.
- Identified poorly performing data structures, procedures, and application workflows; then optimized the stored procedures, updated the applications workflows with the appropriate development team which resulted a 100% application performance gain.
- Aligned with DevOps' overall goal to achieve continuous integration and deployment, and completed the automated deployment of MySQL database into AWS Aurora infrastructure with the use of flyway and multi-branch Jenkins pipelines.
Senior Database Administrator
- Architected and implemented the new OLTP databases for the company that would sustain the future growth of the organization.
- Ensured that all platforms could link all customer data (regardless of platform) to become one seamless app. Assessed the needed infrastructure for all data and installed and configured SQL Server to consolidate various databases.
- Implemented a process and solution for high availability and disaster recovery.
- Built utility SQL servers on virtual and clustered machines to consolidate various application SQL servers—resulting in a streamlined administration, license, and hardware cost savings of $20,000.
- Created analytic reports, heat maps, and forecasting models for infrastructure capacity planning using SCOM data warehouse in conjunction with additional performance statistic sources. This optimized the budget and capacity planning process.
- Delivered a seamless customer experience across two platforms using Service Broker allowing the network to exist for customers using two different platforms.
Construction Bidding Platform for a SaaS Organization
The software is built on the strength of the database of subcontractors, vendors, projects, and architects. The application allowed subcontractors to quickly estimate project costs, allow them to bid on construction projects, and general contractors could select and award bids to subcontractor vendors. In addition, it provided notification and messaging tools.
Smart Device Platform for Supply Chain Delivery
Associate Information Management System
Flyway, Keycloak, Docker Compose, Jenkins, AppDynamics, Visual Studio, MySQL Workbench
Database Modeling, SQL Server DBA, Database Triggers, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Service Broker, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL Databases, Amazon Aurora, Oracle PL/SQL, Database Caching, Database Replication, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Kubernetes, Oracle, Docker, Windows, Linux, Apache Kafka
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering Technologies
University of Cincinnati - Cincinnati, OH, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring