SQL Developer in Ottawa, ON, Canada
Member since February 5, 2014
Sam is a database and business intelligence expert with 10+ years of experience in data architecture, analytics, and reporting, and a strong background in finance, sales, and operations. He's detail-oriented with excellent communication skills. If your project involves data and complex requirements, he can do it with his eyes closed. Look no further for someone who shares your values for quality and attention to detail.
Founder2011 - PRESENTDataSense Business Intelligence
Technologies: SQL Server, Azure, Microsoft BI, Tableau, Sisense, SSAS/SSIS/SSRS
- Helped dozens of corporate clients meet their business intelligence and data warehousing needs.
- Worked with IT as well as business users from finance, sales, and operations all the way to C-level executives.
- Designed and implemented data warehousing systems using SQL Server, Oracle, and MySQL.
- Planned and delivered end-to-end automated reporting solutions using Tableau, Microsoft BI, and PowerBI.
- Participated in project planning, system planning, user adoption, training, and maintenance procedures.
Enterprise Reporting Consultant2012 - 2013Deloitte
Technologies: Tableau, SQL, Excel, Macros
- Worked with North American banks and other Deloitte clients to design and build end-to-end financial reporting systems.
- Worked with the risk management office to implement specialized risk-assessment solutions.
- Worked directly with business end-users to plan projects, gather requirements, plan UAT activities, and deliver training.
Data Warehouse Architect2010 - 2011Iovate Health Sciences
Technologies: Financial Planning & Analysis
- Collaborated with business analysts and developers to create specifications and project plans.
- Contributed to major projects for sales, finance, marketing, operations, and demand planning.
- Worked with developers to implement end-to-end data warehousing and business intelligence solutions.
- Designed and implemented processes to extract and consolidate data from source systems.
- Designed and implemented reports, graphs, and dashboards to provide reporting and analysis capabilities.
Sr. Business Intelligence Consultant2008 - 2010Clarity Systems
Technologies: SQL, Oracle, Microsoft BI Stack, Reporting & Dashboarding
- Managed and coordinated project activities to deliver high-quality financial solutions to major North American clients on time and within budget.
- Created a statement of work documents, business requirement documents, proposals, and project plans.
- Designed solutions using relational databases, OLAP, ETL tools, and reporting tools.
- Led project implementation and provided direction, management, and mentoring to the project team.
- Strengthened client relationships and identified new opportunities for revenue generation with existing clients.
Data Integration/Data Warehouse Consultant2006 - 2008IBM Corporation
Technologies: SQL Server, Oracle, Data Warehousing, CDC Data Replication
- Traveled in North America and Europe during the pre-sales and implementation phases and met with high-value customers to gather information on environments, generate field use scenarios, and work on systems integration, data warehousing, business intelligence projects, and POCs using InfoSphere CDC.
- Participated as the InfoSphere subject matter expert for very large-scale Telecom projects involving 50+ active personnel and 40 million active end users.
- Established contacts within customer organizations to facilitate the flow of information in order to analyze customer environments, anticipate problems, and identify project opportunities.
- Performed studies to understand vendor-specific database behaviors (archive logs, database internals, algorithms, etc.) for DB2, Oracle, and SQL Server, among others.
Database Developer2005 - 2006DataMirror Corporation
Technologies: Java, MS SQL, SSRS
- Developed database automation tools.
- Participated in the release of a transformation server for SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, z/OS, and AS400. Worked to draft the requirements and developed the automation code for new features.
- Created and updated smoke, TFE, regression, performance, stress, and longevity test scenarios.
- Created tools to track customer use scenarios, identify bottlenecks, and improve usability and performance.
Program Manager2004 - 2005Microsoft Corporation
- Evaluated and collected business requirements from stakeholders for developing new features.
- Defined the scope, designed new features, and created functional specifications and prototypes.
- Worked with software developers and QA analysts to take features from inception to completion.
- DataSense BI (Other amazing things)
As a principal consultant, I founded a data consulting company with clients from all over the world.
LanguagesSQL, Transact-SQL, T-SQL, MDX
ToolsSSAS, SSRS, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Visual Studio, Sisense
StorageSQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Management Studio, Microsoft SQL Server
OtherBusiness Intelligence (BI)
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer Engineering2000 - 2004University of Toronto - Toronto