Verified Expert in Engineering
Samir is a highly skilled and talented developer with over ten years of professional programming experience. For the last five years, he has worked on various projects in multiple architectures and different programming languages, notably Java for the back end and Kotlin for Android. A strong team player with an open mind, he helps fellow team members. Samir's an easy-going person who copes with change well and has constructive ideas, with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
Windows, Android, Git, Agile Software Development, Android SDK, Back-end
The most amazing...
...thing that I've coded was an Android app for Pepper robot, enabling the robot to understand information and provide action to the given input.
Android Embedded Developer
- Developed the Scooter appfrom scratch. It records the environment with the camera, provides an image to an AI model, and gets info about environment objects a scooter interacts with, like the sidewalk and crosswalk.
- Added the support to AWS IoT to send telemetry data to AWS server from the app.
- Defined and wrote features that needed to be developed and used Jira.
- Involved in customizing the operating system to support our app for the CM6125 Qualcomm chip, along with the Thundercomm/Qualcomm support team.
Senior Back-end Developer
- Developed the service endpoint to get parts that the customer needs to repair, like a hard disk drive (HDD).
- Wrote endpoints in Java with Spring framework, deployed Dockerized service, and allowed endpoint on the API gateway.
- Run a 3rd-party service on the company Docker servers.
- Created the Salesforce API to generate the customer case, but the endpoint that calls the Salesforce URL was the Java REST service endpoint.
FS Android Developer for Messaging App MVP
- Investigated the Signal open-source app so that we could integrate it into our custom application.
- Set up the matrix.org server with the home server (Synapse) and Postgres SQL database so we could use the server in the Android app.
- Set up a matrix bridge for the Signal app installed locally on an already set private server.
Senior Android Developer
Spotify - Main
- Developed an app where you can create or join a virtual room to talk about various topics, such as music, sport, etc. Users can join groups and get notified when somebody talks about their favorite topic.
- Created upcoming room list, rooms that will become live in the future.
- Created warm-up room, the room that will become live soon.
- Updated GraphQL to use mutation to get rooms list, live rooms, upcoming, or mutation to become live from the warm-up room.
- Fixed bugs in the application, improving the app. Tracked GitHub issues and created new tickets.
- Added chat feature, listening to sockets from other users, to display or send chat for users in the room.
- Created a media notification player and added it when the user entered the room.
- Created Firebase events to track various events. Also used branch SDK for notifications management.
- Worked on developing a portal for searching documents and videos and getting and updating video details.
- Searched and presented only the top five related products to the given product.
- Worked on the admin part of the portal on uploading and working with PDF documents only. Developed the UI and the logic.
- Developed the UI and logic for managing unmanaged documents on the portal.
- Created a sandbox that will replicate a real server and could be used as an inner testing device.
- Worked on developing API, endpoint logic, database connection, and Kong Gateway onboarding.
Senior Android Developer
Spotify (Betty Labs, Inc.)
- Developed an app where you can create or join the virtual room where you can talk about various, primarily sports, topics, and other subjects. Users can join groups and get notified when somebody talks about their favorite topic.
- Implemented the application from scratch and initialized the project.
- Connected the application to Firebase, so we could observe crashes and implemented a connection to the server so that the app could execute various endpoints regarding chat rooms and room control.
- Set up the signup and login flow of the app by creating a room and handling current users, such as editing the current user, logging out, joining groups, etc.
- Added and configured Agora SDK so that users could talk in the room and made a socket connection to handle in-room activities and options so that users could chat with others.
- Created and worked on GitHub tickets regarding bugs and improvements of the app.
- Implemented a connection to the GraphQL server so the app can run room and user queries; also set up a small local database.
- Developed an app to collect testimonials and worked on the business logic of getting and posting data to the server.
- Tracked and fixed bugs with the Jira tracking tool and tested those tickets.
- Created the UI with constraint layouts to collect testimonials and followed Figma designs.
- Developed a Split.io feature that decides if the organization wants to collect testimonials before the testimonial collection feature runs.
- Added unit and integration tests for both new and existing features using Kotlin.
- Refactored app directories so that they were driven by project features.
- Converted Java code to Kotlin in the refactoring process.
- Implemented Airmee Optimizer Controller to get optimized missions from the server.
- Collaborated on improvements and accelerating mission details; worked with the barcode scanner and fixed app bugs.
- Added support to Firebase cloud messaging and message processing in the app.
- Supported login and registration to reuse web app authentication on the Android app.
- Added Beacon functionality in the application and set up the library.
- Implemented the vSphere single disk restore integration to a Hycu backup solution.
- Actualized the disaster recovery strategy for the Hycu backup controller.
- Added the backup and restore feature from Snapshot on the vSphere environment and on Nutanix.
- Developed the function to archive data from Snapshot for Nutanix and vSphere solutions.
- Configured Maven to use Java 8 and fixed a warning from the Java 7 upgrade.
- Created a weather application for a specific small device.
- Extracted weather data using Dark Sky API and implemented the API's results in the app.
- Got a weather map from OpenWeatherMap API and implemented that in the application.
- Supported tab changes and scrolling with a hardware keyboard.
- Added room persistence library for storing offline data.
Android Studio Expert
- Created and designed a fully responsible robot which can communicate with humans.
- Created animations that mimic animals or human activities which Pepper can execute.
- Implemented the capability for Pepper to move forward and backward.
- Implemented actions for Pepper robot to follow humans.
- Implemented a human recognition list, where Pepper can find humans around him and save them to a list displayed on a tablet.
Mile One, LLC
- Fixed several critical bugs that users had to improve app stability.
- Tracked and fixed bugs that were tracked with the Jira tool.
- Added unit test to cover and test out fixes made to the app.
Elite Android Developer
Progress Distribution, Ltd.
- Created sign-in, sign-out, and registration integrations to the company server from the mobile app.
- Created dynamic menus from online data, parsing JSON server response to create these menus.
- Created an SQLite database to hold notification data.
- Implemented Firebase cloud messaging service into the mobile app.
- Created a table of app users in the Firebase real-time database.
- Created a testing environment. Add JUnit and system integration tests to the app.
- Helped in the process of publishing the app to the Google Play Store.
Peopleppl, LLC, dba Sonarcloud
- Developed the app to run on startup and maintain always-running status.
- Created a socket to listen to the server, which sends JSON payloads back and forth.
- Programmed command communication from the server to receive audio files and get audio files from the server.
- Created functionality to receive the audio scheduler from the server and play audio when it is scheduled.
- Saved data to the database and added support to the Room database tool.
- Supported Opus SDK with NDK, inserting opus SDK functions within NDK in the app.
Life on Queen, Inc.
- Fixed bugs involving Bluetooth and GPS search to search users that use the app.
- Changed some REST API calls to delete the user from the server.
- Tracked bugs on Jira tools and fixed them to improve app stability.
Android SDK Engineer
Xendit (via Toptal)
- Implemented sentry support in the development of the Xendit library.
- Implemented unit tests in an Android library and ran tests to test out the app.
- Implemented Android instruments for Android sample app and libraries.
- Added and implemented a "Logger" class to send logs to a LogDNA server.
- Collected device, location, and wifi info and sent data to the server.
Senior Android Developer
Atomic One CC
- Created dynamic workflow in Android application with JSON data.
- Added support to the room database so that the app uses an in-app database.
- Created Android unit tests for dynamic workflow and ran tests.
- Worked on enrollment and login with parsed JSON Web Token.
- Improved existing code in the application. Fixed bugs that were tracked with Jira.
- Added internationalization to the Android application.
Wokati Technologies, Ltd.
- Developed my own custom Android ROM, checked out the 4.4.2 Android operating system, and reused it to create custom AOSP.
- Created a build environment for building Android from the source.
- Customized Android operating system for an embedded device named Wokati Box.
- Created a build environment for building Ubuntu 16.04 for the ARM architecture.
- Developed and customized my own Ubuntu 16.04 operating system for ARM devices and Wokati Box.
- Customized U-boot as a boot option for Wokati Box.
- Investigated and worked with SolidRun HummingBoard imx6 devices, building a custom Android operating system for this device.
Freelance Back-end Developer
- Fixed bugs of the back end of an app on Windows in Visual Studio.
- Track and fix back-end bugs for macOS using Xcode IDE.
- Tracked and fixed Flex-related bugs that were experienced while using the application.
- Updated Flex SDK to be used inside of the application.
- Created a tool for adding new hosts to DNSs. Hosts were assigned the first available IP address. Developed this tool with Windows APIs.
- Created a tool for enumerating and configuring network adapters on Windows operating systems.
- Worked in a team that built a variety of functionalities for HP, including the data protector module, disaster recovery support backup, and recovery of Windows 8/Windows 12 storage spaces.
- Worked as the product engineer of the disaster recovery module of the data protector solution for Hewlett Packard. This module was responsible for the backup and recovery of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Created a tool for local mounting of VMware virtual disks on a Linux-based system using VixDiskLib API and VixMnt API.
- Worked as the product engineer of the virtualization protection agent module of the data protector solution for Hewlett Packard. This module was responsible for the backup and restoration of virtualization software technologies such as VMware and Hyper-V.
- Worked with various clients from every corner of the world.
- Mentored and onboarded an employee to the project and to release process.
Senior Android Developer
Arriving In High Heels
- Localized the application into 40 languages to make the application usable in different languages.
- Built social sign-on and integrated Google sign-on.
- Automated screenshot generation, adding Screengrab and Fastlane in order to achieve this task.
- Added a memory cache and disk cache for caching TileView images.
- Created a CASL activity to prompt for Canada's Anti-Spam Law to Canadian users.
- Stabilized the app, improving and fixing major and minor bugs.
Freelance Android Developer
- Implemented an Android library for grabbing OpenGL framebuffers.
- Created an OpenGL ES application for Android devices.
- Called C functions from Java code to optimize the app, using NDK.
- Implemented PBO to optimize the rendering of the application.
- Implemented faster screenshot capture for the OpenGL surface with PBO and calling of native functions.
Freelance Software Developer
- Supported a Python executable with a C# application.
- Wrote an installation script that works on Win XP, 7, 8 and 10, with Inno setup, written in Pascal scripting language and Visual Basic scripting.
- Implemented license trial support for an application, written in C#. Wrote data to the registry.
- Wrote a script in NSIS and PowerShell to deploy application on Windows operating system.
- Developed the application on Visual Studio 2013 and transferred it to Visual Studio 2015.
Hewlett-Packard Data Protector Disaster Recovery
Wokati ARM Ubuntu
Atomic One 60Hertz App
Hewlett-Packard Data Protector Virtualization Agent Protection
HP Data Protector Disaster Recovery Windows 8 Support
Algorithms for Multi-dimensional Search on Computer Geometry Problems
Business in Progress Android App
Android Task Listhttps://github.com/usamir/ToDoS-Android
iOS – Filtererhttps://github.com/usamir/Filterer-IOS-swift
Android App for Yewno Image
“Sage Chart” Android App
Environment: Windows, Android Studio, SQLite
Google Home Prototype
Learn about Google Home development patterns, registration process, and interaction model. The result should be an ability for any Android user to request access and be able to speak with Vacations Direct on their device.
Visited App for Androidhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arrivinginhighheels.visited&hl=en
Wokati Android ROM
Ewallet-optimizer App for Androidhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ewallet.optimizer.android&hl=en_US
Airmee Android Courier App
The app was developed in Kotlin, using MVC architecture and Kodein dependency injection.
Spotify Live Apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.bettylabs.disco&hl=en_US&gl=US
Discover conversations about your favorite music, fantasy sports picks, and much more. We're breaking down the barriers to bring fans and creators closer to communicate about the big moments or sub-cultures they love—if it's out there, get into it here.
Why you'll love to listen and talk with Spotify Live:
• Anyone is welcome to listen to, join in, or host live conversations.
• Find your people: Discuss things you love with people who share your passion.
• Create your rooms: Start your conversations about any topic.
• Don't miss a thing! Get notified of "live rooms" and add them to your calendar.
• Each room has a host, speakers, listeners, and a chat function if chosen.
• See upcoming rooms and add them to your calendar, so you don't miss out.
Find your people: Enter any live room to listen and talk about the things you love with people who share your passion.
Android SDK, Boost, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), Spring Microservice, Spring Boot, Spring, Windows PowerShell, Adobe Flex, Flutter
Windows API, Android API, Firebase Android SDK, Google Maps API, NDK, Retrofit 2, RxKotlin, REST APIs, OpenGL, Google Geocoding API, Node.js, OpenGL ES, RxJava 2, Sockets, XNA, OpenCV, React, Google Places API, Retrofit, Google Maps, Liquibase
Android Studio, Visual Studio 2010, VMware, Visual Studio 2008, Gradle, Git, IDEA IDE, Android NDK, Hyper-V, Visual Studio 2013, Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), Kibana, Visual Studio, TortoiseSVN, Visual Studio 2015, NSIS, Adobe Flash, Kodein, Jira, Figma, Xcode, IntelliJ IDEA, Kong, Geocoding, MinGW, Shell, Jenkins
Object-oriented Design (OOD), Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile Software Development, Agile, Microservices, Unit Testing, MVC Design, Test-driven Development (TDD)
Windows, Android, Linux, Red Hat Linux, Firebase, Bitrise, Mapbox, Ubuntu, MacOS, Amazon Web Services (AWS), iOS, Bluetooth LE, Blockchain, Docker, Salesforce
Android Emulators, Back-end, Android Testing, Unix/Linux Virtualization, Room, Push Notifications, Shell Scripting, Tesseract, Inno Setup, Scripting, Adobe Flash Builder, Messaging, ARM, Algorithms, Apps, iPhone, Beacon, AOSP, GNU, Computer Science, Mathematics, Image Processing, Geolocation, Bitcoin, Data Privacy, Open Source, Android Camera App, Embedded Hardware, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Groovy Scripting, Springbot, API Gateways
SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, JSON, Azure SQL Databases, H2 Database
Master's Degree in Software Engineering
University of Sarajevo, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Complete Flutter Development Bootcamp with Dart
Blockchain and Bitcoin Fundamentals
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring