Santiago Vanegas Gil
Verified Expert in Engineering
Santiago is a software engineer passionate about computer science, algorithms, and data structures. He's been working with Android since 2016 with a mostly US clientele and has some experience with simple back-end projects. Santiago has also led teams in agile environments to bring features from conception to launch, working closely with BA/QA and other disciplines.
Kotlin, Android Studio, Android, Git, Atom, OS X
The most amazing...
...thing I'm proud of is to have represented my university in two South American competitive programming contests.
- Produced high-quality software that was unit tested, code reviewed, and checked regularly via continuous integration.
- Implemented and iterated with the whole team in an Agile environment to bring features from conception to launch.
- Led an Android team of four.
- Clearly communicated with the client to achieve a soft and outstanding development process.
- Contributed to an existing continuous integration framework by automating features as they are developed.
- Worked closely with BA/QA team members to create test plans and to ensure that the issues are properly identified, fixed, and tested.
- Served as the technical leader for a Scrum team and actively participated in grooming sessions, sprint planning, daily scrums, and sprint reviews.
- Developed proof concepts for new and innovative ideas.
- Spoke publicly in meetups about Android and mobile development.
- Designed, developed, and supported Android applications to track the continuing education of health professionals.
- Improved the functionality of Android applications using model-view-presenter pattern and clean architecture.
- Built components using ReactiveX (RxJava 2) and a dependency injection with Dagger 2.
- Implemented Firebase push notifications for Android applications.
- Created functional testing automated tasks with Gherkin notation using Gradle, Calabash, and Cucumber.
Talos Digital, Inc.
- Developed AngularJS applications consuming RESTful web services.
- Automated tasks for continuous integration and deployment with Jenkins.
- Built and deployed applications using Docker containers.
- Implemented RESTful APIs, services, and gems using Ruby on Rails.
- Participated in a six-month internship program that was done in the company.
Teacher Assistant in Data Structures and Algorithms II
- Taught students about data structures such as maps, sets, trees, queues, stacks, and lists.
- Explained common computer science algorithms for graphs, dynamic programming, pattern matching, and ad hoc solutions.
Android Junior Developer
- Learned Android SDK basics and implemented simple Android applications.
- Gained a basic knowledge set about graphic Android components and RESTful API usage from an Android app.
For over a year, I led the Android team and worked on the development of the app from scratch. Every quarter, I added robust features involving API interaction, database management, asynchronous programming, dependency injection, and more. I also collaborated with various teams to maintain a clean application for customers and develop ways to convert web users to mobile.
Thousands of users currently use this application.
I improved the functionality and added new modules for an old Android application. I also migrated components to use better tools and technologies such as ReactiveX (RxJava 2), Model-view-presenter, clean architecture, Firebase push notifications, Dagger 2 (dependency injection), and Material Design.
My team and I increased the stability of the application to 99% from 95%.
Thousands of users currently use this application.
I helped in the development process of the Android app from the beginning. I relied upon technologies such as ReactiveX (RxJava 2), dependency injection (Dagger 2), Model-view-presenter, Retrofit 2 for RESTful API consumption, and Material Design.
Also, I wrote unit and functional tests using JUnit 4, Calabash, and Cucumber. I automated Gradle tasks that were related to tests. I also wrote a mock Ruby on Rails server to run locally while running functional tests.
I participated in the development process of the application and implemented design features using Material Design guidelines. I relied upon various technologies and tools such as ReactiveX (RxJava 2), Retrofit 2, Model-view-presenter, and Dagger 2 for dependency injection.
I also wrote unit and functional tests using JUnit, Calabash, Cucumber, and automated tasks using Gradle.
The current Android version is not released to the public yet; it is in the final phase of development.
(The link provided leads to the web app.)
TDJobs handles all common logic related to the demand for a service including offers and negotiation.
Project Core Features:
• Creating services and job postings
• Handling roles (job owner, job offerer)
• Handling the negotiation between the owner and the offerer
• Searching for jobs and offerers
• Job activation and deactivation
It is a simple REST HTTP API so that other applications' back end can easily use it.
I also wrote the Ruby on Rails code and the integration and unit tests using RSpec and Swagger documentation.
TaskFlex has two main components: it has a front end built in AngularJS and a back end developed in Ruby on Rails.
I wrote the back-end code using Ruby on Rails with unit and integration tests using RSpec. I also developed most of the whole front-end application using AngularJS.
Competitive Programming Solutionshttps://github.com/svanegas/programming_solutions
Java, Kotlin, C++, Ruby
RxJava 2, Retrofit 2, Android Architecture Components, Fabric, RxJava
Git, Android Studio, Atom, LaTeX, Gradle, Jenkins
Mobile Development, Scrum, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Test Automation
Android, Firebase, Linux, MacOS, OS X, Docker
Realm, PostgreSQL, MySQL
Data Structures, Algorithms, Competitive Programming, Room, Back-end, Google Material Design, Android Data Binding, Leadership, Sauce Labs, Architecture
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Dagger 2, Appium, AngularJS
Systems Engineer | Bachelor of Applied Science in Computer Engineering
EAFIT University - Medellín, Colombia