Consultant2019 - PRESENTAnthem, Inc.
Technologies: TypeScript, Redux, Android, iOS, React Native
- Unified divergent React Native features in Anthem's flagship consumer mobile app while laying the foundational groundwork for future development, and eliminated critical technical debt from pre-existing setup.
- Delivered critical app features to support COVID-19 response, including a risk assessment survey and results based on CDC guidance, as well as a customer support live chat experience launched from a chatbot feature.
- Mentored other team members through code reviews and established best practices including unit tests, design patterns, also creating a culture of designing reusable building block type components.
- Refreshed the app's look and feel by updating various components to match the latest design style guide, added animations, and integrated animated logo assets as a side project.
- Established a team leads communication group to increase cooperation, and collaboration, reduce duplicate efforts, and coordinate overlapping efforts for multiple teams all working on the same massive project.
- Created a shared/reusable component library of high-quality reusable components following the site style guide and integrated Storybook to make them explorable.
Consultant2018 - 2019Hashletes
- Implemented payment UI and API integration for both depositing funds and withdrawals.
- Added real-time multiplayer team lineups and membership status via WebSockets (Firebase).
- Developed team details and invites UIs and API integration.
- Found and fixed various rendering performance issues in the app.
- Implemented app referral codes to give bonuses when a friend completes the process signup.
Consultant2018 - 2019IMA PLAYER
- Implemented coupon discount and validation business rules and API on a Django back-end.
- Completed redesign of the entire site, theming React-md components.
- Implemented security and access rules for private and shared customer files and documents.
- Added digital order viewer for premium assets to be able to deliver purchased digital goods.
- Developed sponsors and points of interested Google Maps integration using React component.
Consultant2018 - 2019Rouse Services
- Built CI/CD integration with Terraform infrastructure as code to provision Google Cloud Platform resources in a standard, documented, reproducible, and auditable way.
- Implemented secrets management process with automatic encrypting and decrypting via git-hooks leveraging Google KMS and IAM.
- Implemented Airflow and Dataflow pipelines to process source data in Google Cloud and help modernize and provide foundations for migrating to Google Cloud.
Director of Software Engineering2016 - 2017Whalerock Industries
- Developed video processing services to integrate existing CMS with AWS to handle upload, transcoding, management, and deployment of videos via HLS. Maintained and supported live video streaming pipeline.
- Developed URL shortener example micro service used as a template for company-wide micro service development.
- Managed and fixed critical bugs in emoji CMS and companion keyboard iOS app.
- Managed development of talent admin iOS app to record video and broadcast a live video stream to hundreds of thousands of followers.
- Developed content permissions service to validate subscription access to content.
Sr Manager Software Engineering2015 - 2016Demand Media
- Built isomorphic/universal Node.js app with server-side rendering on MithrilJS vdom framework.
- Created a back-end REST API powered by MySQL, ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, and a GraphQL inspired custom API platform.
- Established new company standard for provisioning using Ansible paired with Vagrant for standardized development environments. Monitored by errors using Bugsnag, uptime with Pingdom and performance with NewRelic. Also used Elasticsearch Logstash Kibana for tracing and log analysis.
- Managed development of dynamic image resizer application and migration, handling hundreds of image requests per second as well as managed the development of disaster recovery project for comScore top 50 sites.
- Created centralized admin portal using React/Redux to update/replace and unify various outdated and disjointed internal tools.
Manager Software Engineering2013 - 2015Demand Media
- Developed GraphQL inspired JSON REST API for PHP MySQL back-end with batch API functionality.
- Implemented permissions system with horizontal access controls for a multi-tenant system and simple service for checking specific permissions client side.
- Developed angular apps for a payment funnel and real-time chat experience as well as internal support dashboard and customer management system to connect service experts with customers.
- Implemented subscription payments and management system, with transactions log and statuses stored in MySQL.
- Managed development of iOS companion app for the site, accepting payments and connecting users via real-time chat over websockets.
Lead Software Engineer2012 - 2013Demand Media
- Implemented ElasticSearch indexing and search results for site search to improve relevance and increase customization.
- Improved deployment process by caching dependencies download/install reducing build and deployment times, saving at least ~160 developer hours per year.
- Developed JSON REST API for user interest site with basic likes/follows functionality of generic object types.
Sr Software Engineer2011 - 2012Demand Media
- Led team on a project to rebuild comScore top 20 media site using PHP and MongoDB improving performance and maintainability.
- Created a dynamic image resize application with CDN caching processing images for over four million articles.
- Created data and caching layer using PHP, MongoDB, and Redis. Added failover logic to replicate production data on a per document basis on demand to allow for simpler development environment when dealing with 4+ million articles.
- Led an internationalization project, separated configurations and devised strategy to maintain separate deployments of primary and international versions of the site.
Software Engineer2009 - 2011Demand Media
- Improved performance and search functionality for a high traffic photo database of over 1 million photos using Apache Solr on top of MySQL.
- Added a new user profile section integrating site profile, settings, and preferences with separate user forums data and profile.
- Managed MySQL database migration to normalize, standardize, unify, and deduplicate data between the main site and user forums.
Lead Web Developer2005 - 2009Matrix Consultants
- Developed suzukiauto.com including the object library and unified data access framework, common file, and class loader framework. Redesigned in 2007 (HTML, CSS, jQuery). Updated content in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Created vehicle (Ajax) and Dealer Location search functions with google maps API plot of dealership locations.
- Contributed to a distributed server environment project to deploy client websites in different geographic data centers.