Verified Expert in Engineering
Scott is an independent software developer with over a decade of experience building systems at every layer of the stack, from embedded firmware to back-end servers and interactive UIs. An experienced and knowledgeable developer, he loves working with clients and teams around the world to deliver high-quality digital products and services.
Linux, Emacs, Git
The most amazing...
...system I've worked on ingested, processed, and analyzed EPA electric grid emission data into a time-series database with over 36 million records a year.
Lead Back-end Developer
- Helped develop an interactive web application giving insights into grid-scale energy usage patterns and projections.
- Integrated, tested, and deployed research team's models into production code.
- Devised and implemented data schema and Python framework for abstract representation of parameterized models and helped researchers use these abstractions.
- Augmented software development teams worldwide to help build a mix of custom web services, front-end web applications, API integrations, data ingest, munging, and analysis tools, and operations infrastructure.
- Worked in-person and remotely with existing software teams to create new systems or maintain legacy codebases.
- Created a trusted network of clients who repeatedly sought my expertise for their projects.
Senior Software Developer
- Collaborated with a distributed team of developers, designers, and project managers to deliver software for socially-minded nonprofits and startups.
- Worked closely with clients to understand the domain and technical requirements as well as assist in project planning and estimation.
- Provided technical mentorship to teammates and clients.
- Developed numerous web and native iOS applications for small businesses and creative non-profits.
- Worked as the sole developer on numerous in-house products launched to the iOS app store.
- Collaborated with clients to discover technical requirements and devise project plans.
- Collaborated with the bioacoustics research department to develop desktop sound analysis software.
- Focused primarily on Linux platform support and worked through many Linux-specific bugs.
- Developed a product used by ornithologists and other animal researchers around the world.
Lithium Battery Management System (BMS)https://github.com/scttnlsn/bms
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Flask, React Native, ClojureScript, Re-frame, Swing
React, Node.js, Pandas, NumPy, SQLAlchemy
Pytest, Ansible, Zephyr, KiCad, Reagent
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Bluetooth LE
Data Analysis, Embedded Systems, Cryptography, Peer-to-peer Networking, Data Visualization, Apollo, P2P, Nordic nRF52, Nordic nRF51
Self-study Program in Embedded Linux, Peer-to-peer Networking Topologies, and Cryptography
Recurse Center - Brooklyn, NY, United States
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
McGill University - Montreal, Quebec, Canada
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring