Full-stack Developer2022 - PRESENTHealth Plans of North Carolina Inc. (via Toptal)
Technologies: React, Next.js, Tailwind CSS, Node.js, Figma, GraphQL, Contentful, Calendly, GraphQL Code Generator, TypeScript, Apollo, GitHub, Git, CSS Grid, Full-stack, Serverless, Architecture, Serverless Architecture, Full-stack Development, Microservices, Technical Leadership, Technical Product Management
- Worked for a health insurance agency and deployed the Next.js site to production backed by CMS data from Contentful to replace the existing WordPress site.
- Improved load times, performance, SEO, and Lighthouse scores.
- Updated the Next.js codebase to use TypeScript, Prettier, GraphQL, Apollo Client, and GraphQL Code Generator.
- Created serverless functions to integrate with Calendly and the client's CRM for online quotes.
Full-stack Engineer2022 - 2022Chainstarters
Technologies: React, GraphQL, Node.js, Web3.js, Tailwind CSS, APIs, Cryptocurrency, API Integration, Blockchain, Crypto, Non-fungible Tokens (NFT), Code Review, Git, SQL, CSS Grid, Full-stack, Smart Contracts, Ethers.js, Prisma, Architecture, Full-stack Development, Technical Leadership, Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Implemented front-end Web3 integration with Alchemy and Polygon for a client NFT drop site to load NFT data, connect wallets, make smart contract calls, and purchase NFTs.
- Created new GraphQL endpoints and PostgreSQL tables and configured GraphQL Code Generator.
- Used TailwindCSS, React, and TypeScript to implement marketing sites based on Figma designs.
React Native Developer2022 - 2022Freelance Client (via Toptal)
Technologies: React Native, TypeScript, GraphQL, Apollo, Mobile App Development, APIs, API Integration, Code Review, React, GitHub, Jira, Git, Mobile, Mobile UX, Architecture, Technical Leadership, Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Worked on an async audio app for sales teams. Implemented screens, components, and features based on Figma designs.
- Helped improve GraphQL schema for consumption by Apollo Client. Suggested pagination methodologies, cache key improvements, code generation, configured Apollo Client, and refactored several screens to fully utilize Apollo's capabilities.
- Fixed bugs, improved authentication flow, and contributed to design meetings.
Printed Circuit Board Designer2021 - 2022Client (via an online freelance agency)
Technologies: PCB Design, PCB, PCB Layout, Autodesk Fusion 360, Smart Devices, Internet of Things (IoT), Embedded Systems
- Used Autodesk Fusion 360 to create schematics, a PCB layout, a 3D model, and PCB manufacturing files based on a hand-sketched wiring diagram for 18 relays.
- Designed for high currents on specific signals and fitted everything in a small footprint according to the requirements.
- Helped the client through phases of design and PCB manufacturing and testing.
Full-stack Developer2014 - 2022Cru
- Led a team rewriting an old AngularJS app into React, Next.js, Material UI, and created serverless functions to integrate GraphQL with some existing REST endpoints.
- Implemented a serverless function to pull article recommendations from BigQuery, sort and filter them, and then push JSON files to S3 grouped by page with diff support for easy front-end use by content sites.
- Worked as technical lead to rewrite a mobile app and align it with the new product direction using React Native, TypeScript, and GraphQL.
- Collaborated with the product team to scope new features, made tech stack decisions, mentored coworkers, and improved code quality.
- Helped migrate a contact management tool out of Rails views and into AngularJS, Babel, and Webpack, and helped architect and implement a product split aimed at streamlining two feature sets that historically were developed in the same codebase.
- Created a modern user experience for our donors on our giving site. Worked on gift configuration, the checkout process, managing payments, editing recurring donations, and the user's profile.
- Developed an npm library for validating, encrypting, and tokenizing bank account and credit card info. Written in TypeScript as a wrapper library for our payment processor. Provided a clean API for web apps to consume.
Mobile and Embedded Developer2021 - 2021Freelance
Technologies: Bluetooth LE, ESP32, React Native, Mobile App Development, iOS, Bluetooth, React, GitHub, Git, Full-stack, Smart Devices, Internet of Things (IoT), Architecture, Serverless Architecture, Full-stack Development, Technical Leadership, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Embedded Systems, Firmware, Embedded C
- Created prototype device using an ESP32 microcontroller and small screen to display data in a small form factor.
- Developed a React Native app to control the microcontroller using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
- Implemented UI with Tailwind CSS to send new data to the microcontroller over BLE.
Software Architecture Consultant2021 - 2021Freelance Client (via Toptal)
Technologies: PostgreSQL, React Native, Front-end, Web App Development, Amazon Web Services (AWS), APIs, API Integration, GitHub, Git, SQL, Full-stack, Serverless, Mobile, Mobile UX, Architecture, Serverless Architecture, Docker, Full-stack Development, Cloud, Microservices, Technical Leadership, Kubernetes, Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- Researched and documented the AWS cloud architecture needed for deploying the app back end to periodically ingest data from a government dataset, run a data processing pipeline, and store that data for easy access.
- Scoped React Native work based on Figma screens and investigated and documented needed tooling and libraries.
- Provided context for chosen technologies and implementations, suggested alternatives, and shared general software development best practices.