Verified Expert in Engineering
Sean is a data professional with over 20 years of experience. He designed and architected dozens of end-to-end solutions across a wide range of technologies in mission-critical settings in industries like health, aerospace, finance, logistics, and retail. He has a Master's degree in Data Engineering, a Bachelor's in Economics, and was certified in Data Analytics at Cornell University. Sean also has a YouTube channel on data engineering techniques with thousands of subscribers.
Windows, Python, VB.NET, ASP.NET, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server
The most amazing...
...thing I've designed and coded was a province-wide web portal and data warehouse for health agency consumers of 911-related reports and statistics.
- Architected a Snowflake warehouse and database to process billions of rows per day for a popular music app on AppStore. Designed fact and dimension tables to support analytics.
- Designed and deployed operational dashboards in Power BI and Tableau.
Dashboard Developer (Finance Background)
- Architected and coded a relational database system on Azure SQL to support a complex SaaS fintech application, including a data warehouse to support Power BI reporting.
- Architected and designed a SaaS web application on Azure using ASP.NET and Visual Basic (.NET) to provide a user platform for processing financial data and integrated reports on Power BI published services.
- Led a technology team including data analysts, programmers, and designers. Guided the team through three successful SaaS customer onboarding experiences.
MacKenzie & MacKenzie Consulting
- Created a YouTube channel on technical topics, including promotion, SEO, and other factors.
- Created a full SaaS solution called BillZone Systems for project management and consultant billing. The system was used by five companies over ten years.
- Oversaw technical projects as developer and design lead for teams of up to ten people for over 20 years.
Senior SQL Developer
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
- Performed complex data extracts from IBM Db2 and other databases and warehouses.
- Implemented ETL on data for use with new reporting platforms (Tableau).
- Conducted a report design investigation in Legacy BusinessObjects designs for SQL and architecture conversion to new reporting systems.
MRP Operations and Analytics Developer
Southwest Research Institute
- Developed a complex ETL procedure for MRP data in SQL Server.
- Wrote complex user interface for MRP assembly tree extraction and browsing in Excel and VBA.
- Wrote the purchase order and manufacturing order MRP update procedures directly into Misys via ODBC, using T-SQL.
Freelance Senior Reporting Developer
Emergency Health Services of BC
- Integrated, working as an architect of a new data warehouse, large Oracle and SQL Server systems and build data pipelines using ADO.NET with VB.NET.
- Designed and built SSRS and web-reporting systems on top of the warehouse for external consumption.
- Oversaw production deployment to thousands of users of portal functionality.
- Performed training on technical implementations and wrote technical documentation supporting the solution.
Freelance Senior Developer Analyst
Work Comp. Tech Ltd.
- Created and managed changes to a third-party disability management system using SQL Server, .NET, and MS Access.
- Designed, coded, and deployed data pipelines and overnight batch programs for data warehousing purposes.
- Designed, coded, and deployed complex statistical, forecasting, and operational reporting using SQL Server, MS Access, MS Excel, and VBA.
- Advised senior executive on technical direction and strategy.
- Integrated other medical environments into a proprietary case management system.
Senior Data Analyst
Mutual Fire Insurance of BC
- Designed, coded, and deployed a data warehouse for P&C insurance systems.
- Created, coded, and deployed SSRS reporting for users in a P&C insurance environment.
- Architected, coded, and deployed Power BI online interactive reporting for executive management.
- Provided technical training for junior and intermediate staff.
- Wrote technical systems documentation for warehouse, SSRS, and online Power BI systems.
- Developed extensive data pipelines using ADO.NET between PostgreSQL databases and SQL Server systems.
Freelance Senior ETL Developer
- Led the integration development to migrate dozens of companies onto SAP.
- Created loading scripts to load the materials management SAP module with products, processing and setup times, and other data.
- Oversaw the loading of production systems using ETL procedures.
- Composed project reports on the progress of loading as well as other successful KPIs.
Freelance Oracle Developer
Bilsland Griffiths Benefit Administrators
- Supported a benefits and pension system hosting various union pensions.
- Created benefits and pension system enhancements in Oracle as required.
- Migrated a legacy MySQL and PHP system to newer .NET technologies.
- Provided technical strategy and leadership advice to senior executives.
Freelance Oracle Database Developer
Teamster's National Benefit Plan
- Provided Oracle support work for pension systems used by TNBP.
- Implemented enhancements to the Oracle pension system as required.
- Created technical and support documentation for the pension systems.
Freelance Senior Database Developer
International Water-Guard Industries, Inc.
- Guided and advised on the adoption of ERP and MRP systems for aerospace production manufacturing.
- Created and coded several data applications for data management of sales and compliance, among others.
- Provided regular user application support for system downtime.
- Designed and coded system updates and user reporting as required.
Freelance Mobile Systems Developer
University of British Columbia
- Designed, coded, and deployed mobile data collection systems for pediatric research.
- Oversaw the deployment of mobile systems for data collection and monitored data pipelines.
- Integrated two very different, complex research databases.
- Provided technical strategy and guidance to the leadership team.
Freelance MRP Reporting Analyst
- Designed and coded a drill-down tool to let users easily drill down to individual assemblies (e.g., a wing or tail assembly).
- Created and coded the metrics for a drill-down tool to allow the oversight of product or lead-time shortfalls.
- Drafted technical documentation and advised on how to implement the solution.
Freelance Senior Technical Analyst
Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
- Acted as a senior technical analyst on deploying an off-the-shelf bed management and logistics system at four hospitals in the Vancouver area.
- Designed, coded, and deployed a plug-in solution to fill a gap in superbug (MRSA, VRE) reporting shortfalls in certain rooms in each hospital.
- Composed the project technical documentation and led technical development teams.
- Led vendor technical teams in the deployment of their solutions.
- Guided the deployment team that was in charge of the hospital transport software deployment component.
Freelance Database Developer
Recall (now Iron Mountain)
- Integrated six office locations into one system on SQL Server with minimal user disruption, using the same MS Access logistics database.
- Provided ETL support and code for migration to PeopleSoft.
- Drafted system documentation and provided user technical training.
Freelance Reporting Developer
Teleflex Canada, Inc. (now Seastar Solutions)
- Designed, coded, and deployed a system to evaluate MRP master scheduling and sales histories.
- Performed data analytics and forecasting for sales activities.
- Drew up the project documentation and provided deployment support.
Freelance Database Developer
Avcorp Industries, Inc.
- Designed, coded, and deployed a database system to validate and rate aerospace suppliers.
- Wrote operational and statistical reports for supplier quality initiatives.
- Composed systems documentation and performed user training.
- Ideated, coded, and deployed systems for data capture around engineering quality assurance.
Freelance Business and Technical Analyst
Insurance Corporation of BC
- Created, coded, and deployed a system to query and display crash data for a new premium system.
- Acted as a business and technical analyst on the rollout of a new insurance product.
- Wrote business and technical documentation to support various projects.
Operations Coordinator | Developer
- Designed, coded, and developed five systems to enhance data collection in the passenger services department.
- Ideated, coded, and developed an onboard point-of-sale system that utilized replication and ETL procedures for staff to use on long rail trips.
- Provided strategy and decision-making support for various projects.
SaaS Project Management System with Time Collection, Invoicing, and PDF Reportinghttp://mackenziemackenzie.com/what-is-billzone-systems.html
Being a full-featured solution, it had invoicing and statistical reporting via PDF to the desktop. It entailed a support module for HR, including vacation and sick day monitoring, pay and raise anniversary tracking. It also had a plug-in system for assisted living and home care for companies needing specialized data collection in those areas. Over its lifetime, it supported hundreds of users that could access it from all over the world.
Click the link to see my blog page detailing BillZone's history and a pretty funny promo video created for it back in its beginnings!
Health Analytics and Reporting Portal
Taking requirements from the business, I designed and coded the entire solution end-to-end, documented it, and mentored internal staff for handoff.
Analytics and Data Warehouse Foundations
Analytics was designed and deployed in Power BI for interactive analytics and SSRS for printable and automatically distributed reports (PDF to email). The solution included setting up and configuring the Power BI On-premise Gateway to perform periodic updating of cloud datasets.
An on-site web portal to coordinate all of the reports was created in ASP.NET.
ASP.NET Web Forms, ADO.NET, Classic ASP, ASP.NET, .NET
ODBC, Pandas, Stanford NLP
Microsoft Access, Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Excel, Visual Studio, SAP MM, SugarCRM, Oracle 11g Forms, Oracle Forms, Squirrel, Tableau, Google Analytics, Camtasia, Apache Airflow, Oracle SQL Data Modeler, C#.NET WinForms
Database Design, ETL, ETL Implementation & Design, Business Intelligence (BI), Database Development, Data-driven Design, HIPAA Compliance, Data Science, DevOps, Agile
Azure, Windows Server, Ubuntu, Oracle, Windows, Windows Mobile, Amazon Web Services (AWS), YouTube
Microsoft SQL Server, Database Architecture, Database Security, Databases, Data Integration, Database Modeling, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2017, SQL Server 2000, PL/SQL, SQL CE, SQLite, PostgreSQL, Oracle PL/SQL, Data Pipelines, Oracle 11g, Oracle 12c, Oracle9i, SQL Server 2014, MySQL, IBM Db2, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), JSON, Azure SQL
Data Analysis, Data Architecture, Data Modeling, Reporting, Data Analytics, Data Management, Data Mining, Software Architecture, Data Profiling, Data Visualization, Data Wrangling, Consulting, Architecture, ActiveX Data Objects (ADO), IIS, Data Warehousing, Data Engineering, Big Data, Data Governance, SaaS, Performance Tuning, ELT, APIs, Enterprise Architecture, Solution Architecture, EHR, Forecasting, Statistical Analysis, Back-end Development, Data Warehouse Design, Electronic Medical Records (EMR), Electronic Health Records (EHR), DAX, PeopleSoft, ERPlite, BaaN, SAP, BAPI, Statistical Modeling, Economics, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Neural Networks, Convolutional Neural Networks, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Financial Reporting Dashboards, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
Master's Degree in Data Engineering
Edinburgh Napier University - Edinburgh, UK
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Economics
University of British Columbia - Vancouver, BC, Canada