Sebastian Mateo Horta
Verified Expert in Engineering
Sebastian is a full-stack web and Android developer with over 17 years of engineering experience. He has worked with many programming languages, frameworks, and technologies, but he specializes in Java Spring Boot and React. Sebastian loves to take on new challenges and deliver beautiful applications.
Git, IntelliJ IDEA, Linux, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've developed is a live sound recognition system used to determine the television channel being watched by a mobile app user in real-time.
Senior Full-stack Developer
J2 Global Consensus - Everyday Health Group - Babycenter
- Oversaw the maintenance of more than six legacy Babycenter systems built in Java Spring.
- Contributed to resolving critical bugs at large-capacity consumer-facing websites.
Hollywood Spill, LLC (via Toptal)
- Implemented an Android app based on an existing iOS app.
- Implemented an event-driven design based on WebSockets.
- Fixed the Phoenix WebSockets connection and reconnection in the Android and iOS apps.
- Learned and adapted new technologies, including Kotlin, Swift, and Python, to meet specific client requirements quickly.
Senior Java Developer
Inpoint (via Toptal)
- Led the back-end development for a system that dealt with complex business logic.
- Created unit tests with more than 90% of code coverage.
- Helped the project manager by leading the daily meeting calls.
- Created a proof-of-concept web application with React for the front end and Spring Boot for the back end, which consumed external REST services.
- Developed a web application that managed system orders; it was built with Spring and Vaadin for the front end, and the back end consumes external REST services. The front end was built based on some configuration received from REST services.
- Developed different processing interface modules for merchant clients of Verifone, which were integrated with its Gateway Core developed in Java EE and Netty. Also migrated legacy modules to new modern modules that follow EMV specifications.
- Refactored a batch system for Verifone that ran once a day to complete some end-of-the-day jobs on transactions batches.
- Applied Scrum Agile methodology for every project and was certified as a Scrum Master by the Scrum Alliance.
Full-stack Web and Mobile Developer
- Supported an Android mobile application for viewing horse-racing results and information; I also refactored the app's inner design by adding Android design best practices. This app consumes external REST Services using JSON objects.
- Created an Android mobile application by migrating an Apache Cordova app that used jQuery Mobile for improving app performance and user experience on smartphones. This app consumes REST Services using JSON objects and OAuth authentication.
- Architected a back-end system that was able to recognize live TV by recording different TV channels via the mobile application. This used a fast Fourier transform (FFT) algorithm for analyzing and comparing frequencies on little chunks of information.
- Supported a commercial management system for a public service entity built with Java EE, SQL Server, and PowerBuilder. It was based on a client's legacy architecture.
- Improved the performance of database triggers and stored procedures of a risk analysis application based on Visual Basic 6 and SQL Server.
- Created a web application for trying on sunglasses at an optical shop. The application was developed using the Yahoo! User Interface Library, allowing users to upload a photo and virtually try on various sunglasses with their picture.
Tata Consultancy Services
- Supported a full-stack management system for MoneyGram locations based on a service-oriented architecture that interacted with some legacy services, built with Java EE, JUnit, and Swing.
- Worked with Agile methodologies like Scrum and used best practices with extreme programming, such as test-driven development (TDD) and continuous refactoring.
- Worked with a process improvement team on a CMMI model.
- Managed and deployed a web application on maritime cargo insurance policies—worked on developing, testing, and producing servers.
- Created a testing result interpreter tool based on XML to improve team proficiency.
MeLook: Live Video Transmission for a Journalism Investigation Projecthttp://fi.ort.edu.uy/11455/17/melook:-medio-social-de-videos.html
The system consisted of three applications: a mobile application, a web application, and a back-end system for the management and administration of flows. The mobile application was developed for the Android platform.
Three different phases were defined for this investigation: research, product definition, and system construction. The research phase included the technical research for the smartphone streaming live technology. In the product definition phase, a design thinking methodology was used, which made it possible to focus on the user's needs. Finally, the product was built using Scrum as a framework.
This was an investigative project for my software engineering degree.
I maintained and modernized legacy codebases built on Java and PHP technologies, transforming them into a greenfield project with new codebase technologies, including React, Node.js, Next.js, Apollo, and GraphQL.
Spring, JUnit, Spring Boot, Mockito, Apache Tiles, Hibernate, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), Next.js, Spring 5, Redux, TestNG, Material UI, Express.js, Swing, Apache Struts, ASP.NET MVC, Vaadin, Netty, .NET, Bootstrap 3+, Swagger, OAuth 2
Node.js, React, REST APIs, JMS, jQuery, Facebook API, jQuery Mobile, Twitter API
IntelliJ IDEA, Git, Apache Tomcat, Bitbucket, Jira, Jenkins, Apache Maven, Eclipse IDE, AWS CLI, React Apollo, PM2, Visual Studio 2012, WildFly, NPM, Gradle
REST, REST API Architecture, Agile Software Development, Scrum, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Object-oriented Design (OOD), RESTful Development, Kanban
Android, MacOS, Java EE, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Eclipse, Docker
JSON, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, Database Modeling, Redis Cache, Oracle 10g, Microsoft SQL Server
Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), RESTful Web Services, Ajax, Apollo, IIS, IIS 7, WebSockets, Cordova, Akamai, Machine Learning
Bachelor's Degree in Systems Engineering
Universidad ORT Uruguay - Montevideo, Uruguay
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring