Verified Expert in Engineering
Shahid designs and develops systems and databases, presents data with stunning visualizations to easily see the big picture, and performs deep-dive analysis to make key decisions. A US MSIT and MBA dual-degree graduate, he is fluent in English and has 12 years of professional experience across many industries. Shahid focuses on understanding requirements and identifying root causes to plan and execute the best course of action for business needs.
MySQL, Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft SQL Server
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was to implement end-to-end systems successfully for a company where many other big brand IT companies failed for over ten years.
Power BI Data Engineer
- Designed and implemented reports using Power BI to visualize predicted and actual pricing strategy data for a retailer with over 9,000 stores.
- Ingested data via Azure Data Lake and Azure PostgreSQL Database in Direct Query mode. The published report was embedded in a broader user interface.
- Coded and optimized view queries that populated the Power BI Star Schema model, benchmarked Power BI for performance, and improved load time by reducing the number of queries and implementing measures to speed up direct query v/s import mode.
- Developed ETL measures to merge and aggregate data from various database technologies and sources such as CSVs, Spark output, application data, modeling output, etc.
Senior Data Engineer
- Designed and implemented reports and dashboards using Microsoft Power BI for a leading European real estate and property development company.
- Significantly optimized the existing reports and database models, reducing the number of reports to browse and maintain while improving the performance and size of reports.
- Simplified the database structure, aggregating data from various countries and frequency of metrics (weekly, monthly, yearly), implementing time intelligence in the reports while only writing rows in the tables when the data changed.
- Conducted knowledge transfers regularly and led group discussions with multiple teams to bring focus into the company's Information Systems and Reporting initiatives to discuss problems and solutions for general project management.
- Planned tasks and oversaw two other junior developers in all the report and dashboard development activities.
- Designed and implemented a custom project management tool, using Microsoft Access, to manage the planning of IT initiatives, budget and track costs from resources, assets, licenses, custom time allocation, and reporting, among other features.
Power BI Data Analyst
- Aggregated database data from various product solutions of a chemical fertilizer farming solutions and advisory company and designed and implemented a reporting database using Amazon Redshift.
- Wrote several queries to transform the raw data into the eventual database model. The queries and model were maintained using DBT.
- Remodeled and optimized data in Power BI to simplify multiple-fact tables into a star schema model, enabling higher performance, ability to calculate new metrics, and significant file size reduction.
- Utilized Tabular Editor to reduce the number of measures and implement time intelligence—YoY, YTD, all-time, monthly, etc. calculations, in an easy to maintain manner.
Redshift Query Specialist
- Developed reports using Sisense for an online email-based newsletter business.
- Wrote queries against a Redshift database used by the company against the Sisense cache.
- Optimized existing queries that the business users already wrote.
MySQL Database Administrator
- Profiled and analyzed a MySQL RDS instance with 32 vCPUs, 244GB RAM, 4.4TB SSD, and 30+ average concurrent users. Worked with the development team to implement measures to improve performance and reduce errors that were not identified earlier.
- Optimized server configuration that led to a drop in disk reads down to one-third of the original, increased the number of write requests before flushing by two to three times, reduced mutex lock waits, and optimized buffer pool usage.
- Analyzed slow query logs and output from a system I created to capture long-running transactions. Identified bugs in the application, inefficient index keys, and opportunities to rewrite queries to improve performance and reduce aborted connections.
- Planned, designed, automated, and executed a 60-step migration plan, using dynamic queries and bash scripts to move the production database from an RDS instance with 4,400 GB SSD down to one with 2,500 GB SDD with zero downtime.
- Designed and implemented triggers and procedures to alter tables with millions and billions of rows without any downtime and throttled based on current database load by inserting a dynamic number of rows, calculated using status inputs.
- Reduced database size by at least 250GB or 10% by identifying redundant index keys, excessive field definitions, collations, and non-scalable table definitions.
Decentral Park Capital
- Designed and built the data warehouse and reporting systems for a digital assets fund management company.
- Aggregated data into MS Azure SQL Database using PHP scripts to consume APIs from various third-party data vendors.
- Designed and developed various dashboards and reports and transformed and modeled the data using a combination of SQL queries, Power BI modeling, and DAX.
- Built regression models and charts based on user inputs to help analyze trends in crypto trading markets and make informed investments.
SelectQuote Insurance Services, Inc.
- Contributed as a team member that migrated legacy SQL Server procedures to a new MariaDB-based system and created new ones as required.
- Optimized queries for Microsoft SQL Server and MariaDB procedures, including certain cases where procedures taking over 20-40 minutes were cut short to 2-3 minutes.
- Analyzed data and created applications to find more leads to up-sell to, using historical sales data. Each system used different logic to find leads.
- Designed and implemented various ETL SSIS packages to process and export data used in marketing and sales campaigns.
- Designed and implemented custom dashboards and reports using Amazon AWS Quicksight for the MariaDB-based application.
- Designed and implemented reports and dashboards using Microsoft Power BI for Microsoft SQL Server-based data warehouse, including real-time streaming datasets and reports. Used PHP for the API that populates the streaming dataset.
- Created reports on MS SQL Server Reporting Services and used custom PHP reporting applications as required for business users.
- Designed and implemented a data warehouse and reporting system, integrating data from various in-house and third-party solutions.
- Designed and wrote queries to process email subscriber data from over 50,000 campaigns as of June 2018, and to incorporate data regarding prior campaign planning, post planning email marketing outcome, attribution to invoice, etc.
- Built reports using Excel, DOMO, SSRS, etc., after evaluating a few other tools.
- Analyzed data to suggest ways to improve subscriber conversions, optimize the usage of resources, reduce inefficiencies, etc.
- Worked toward getting an external consultant to implement big data solutions.
Business Analysis Advisor
Dell International Services
- Reported and analyzed the sales funnel for marketing campaigns and other factors driving demand for Dell's pipeline, revenue, and margin.
- Designed and implemented 'Leakage Reports,' a dynamic dashboard to accurately and visually determine revenue loss at every point of the sales funnel.
- Initiatives following insights and recommendations from above yielded a substantial increase in the pipeline to the company.
- Designed and implemented the data structure and many views in Tableau Dashboards.
- Automated and optimized various deliverables and implemented systems to save hundreds of man-hours.
- Designed and implemented a tool and a systematic process to accurately and efficiently plan campaigns created in our CRM by 20-25 people across 6-7 countries.
- Nominated and awarded a Partner Silver Award and another award within the department (two in one year).
Senior IT Executive
Coastal Energy Private Limited
- Acted as a team member that implemented the IT Enablement vision of a multinational group of companies with five subsidiaries, using Microsoft's range of enterprise-level software solutions.
- Implemented Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 in a techno-functional role across four company locations in three countries.
- Served as the task lead and main liaison with the channel partner for Microsoft Dynamics NAV implementation.
- Enhanced NAV functionality by implementing customization and add-ins for features such as "Hide Zero" in analysis by dimension, dynamic web browser control add-in, one-to-many invoice application, Excel to NAV mappings, and more.
- Completed the NAV implementation for a subsidiary without a channel partner after the two main subsidiaries went live.
- Supported the finance department in finalizing the business process, generated master data, evaluated alternatives, and assisted in deciding optimum transaction entries.
IS Project Management Intern
- Assisted in supporting Planview (web-based IS portfolio management tool) implementation.
- Analyzed the metrics results and benefits realization from Planview and provided inputs to design further metrics.
- Designed and implemented tools to enhance various processes such as Planview compliance monitoring, customer satisfaction evaluation, project management, and requirements feedback.
Simple Password Managerhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.shahidthaika.android.simplepassmgr
Have trouble remembering your numerous passwords? Now, remember only the master password for Simple Password Manager, and the application will remind you of the other passwords you store within.
This application uses Password-Based Key Derivation and AES Encryption to securely store your passwords and gives you full control and visibility into the encryption method used.
NOTE: DUE TO THE APPLICATION'S SECURITY DESIGN, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO RETRIEVE A LOST MASTER PASSWORD
CRM Lead Lifecycle Visualizationhttps://imgur.com/a/9rzDRiv
Supply Chain Planning and Visualization Tool
JSON API, REST APIs, Wufoo API, Campaign Monitor API, jQuery UI, jQuery, Google API
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power BI, Excel 2016, Power Query, Domo, Inkscape, Microsoft Access, Power Pivot, Amazon QuickSight, Visual Studio, Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Microsoft Dynamics NAV, Tableau, Sisense
Database Development, ETL, Business Intelligence (BI)
Windows, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Salesforce, Amazon EC2, Azure, Android
MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL Databases, MariaDB, SQL Server 2016, Databases, JSON, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Database Administration (DBA), SQL Server DBA, Azure SQL, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redshift, PostgreSQL
Excel Macros, JSON REST APIs, Web Extensions, Software Development, Dashboards, Data Visualization, DAX, APIs, Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, Data Analysis, Data Architecture, Data Modeling, Data Warehouse Design, Chrome Extensions, Inventory Management, Sales, Business Analysis, Google Data Studio, Finance, Business Management, Data Build Tool (dbt), Encryption, Azure Synapse, Azure Data Lake
.NET, Bootstrap 3, ASP.NET, Yii 2
MSIT + MBA Dual Degree in Management Information Systems
Bentley University - Waltham, MA
Master of Commerce Degree in Banking and Finance
Sydenham College - Mumbai, India
Bachelor of Commerce Degree in Business Management
Sydenham College - Mumbai, India