C++ Developer in Montreal, QC, Canada
Director of Software Development2013 - PRESENTVircom
Technologies: C++, C#, iOS, Mono, Windows, Visual Studio
- Handled hiring, firing, team building, and management.
- Transitioned my two projects to a Scrum Kanban hybrid. Quadrupled team velocity over one year.
- Optimized and improved the SVM (sequential vector machine) used for spam filtering. Raised the catch rate of spam significantly.
- Coded a proof of concept on statistical semantic learning based on a Google paper. Built the statistical semantic database to learn the relatedness of words, resulting in a word distance used as a fuzzy matching criteria in document comparisons.
- Introduced test-driven development to two projects.
Business Intelligence Developer/Analyst2011 - 2011Xtranormal
- Built the critical side of the business up to industry standards over 5 intense months as a one man design, coding, and analysis team. Reported directly to the CEO. Championed data-driven decision making in Xtranormal's product suites and overall strategy.
- Analyzed business data on an ongoing basis to provide input and insights to the CEO and CTO.
- Created a dashboard for key performance indicators to be available 24/7 to decision makers.
- Automated reports to be emailed regularly.
- Created an ad hoc report page on critical business metrics for internal use.
- Created data warehouse and ETL services to support business intelligence operations.
- Mined data to facilitate knowledge of use in decision making by the executive team.
Media Technologies Architect2007 - 2010Xtranormal
Technologies: TTS (text to speech), Nuance, DirectX, OpenGL, OpenCV, Ogre3D, FFmpeg, FMOD, video encoding, C++, C
- Delivered a movie maker to animate a 3D scene and encode a video from the 3D scene and a sound file.
- Delivered a DirectX renderer for the consumer desktop on Windows and an OpenGL renderer for server-side Windows environments.
- Integrated text to speech into the 3D scene in real-time to allow typed text to be played in a 3D movie.
- Delivered various special effects and shaders.
- Delivered various post processing screen effects, such as cartoon shading, depth of field, and bloom.
- Architected a top level software solution for my department.
Lead Architect2003 - 2007Rock Star New England ( previously Maddoc Software )
Technologies: Xbox, Xbox 360, DirectX, PS3, Gamebryo, Unreal Engine
- Delivered multiple game titles as lead developer and architect.
- Designed and coded the graphics engine for Empire Earth 2 and Star Trek Legacy.
- Designed and coded the collison engine for Empire Earth 2.
- Optimized the pathfinding and AI for Empire Earth 2.
- Coded the skeletal animation engine for Empire Earth 2.
- Coded special FX and video card assembly shaders for Empire Earth 2 and Star Trek Legacy.
- Empire Earth 2 (Development)http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/empire-earth-ii-review/1900-6123077/
This blockbuster video game released in 2005 was very well received by the press, including receiving PC Gamer's strategy game of the year award.
- Star Trek Legacy 360 (Development)
This video game for hardcore Star Trek enthusiasts was developed for PC and Xbox 360.
- Bully (video game) (Development)http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/bully-review/1900-6160199/
I was the lead architect on the team that brought the award-winning Bully video game to the Nintendo Wii platform.
Libraries/APIsDirectX, OpenGL, Node.js
ToolsMicrosoft Visual Studio, Mocha, Visio
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Test-driven Development (TDD)
PlatformsWindows, Xbox 360, PS3, Oculus Rift, Heroku, Linux
OtherVideo Capture, Multithreading, Video, Morpheus VR, PS4, IMAP, Lean Development
StorageSQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL