Verified Expert in Engineering
Shawn is a freelance web and DevOps engineer/consultant from Seattle who has worked with a variety of different technologies as projects have come across his way. He often works with the Drupal CMS and the LAMP stack. He has built websites, APIs, CI/CD pipelines, and other tools to manage cloud infrastructure. Lately, he has been focused on IaaC and managing developer environments and tools.
Vim Text Editor, Ubuntu, PHP, MariaDB, Apache, CentOS, MacOS
The most amazing...
...developer workstation provisioner for macOS powered by Ansible.
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
- Architected, built, and maintained a BI database and data pipeline environment using AWS/GCP for various data services, i.e., Athena, BigQuery, Glue, Kinesis, MWAA, and Redshift, as well as an Airflow ECS CI/CD environment for new development.
- Created new and improved existing GHA pipelines, e.g., repeatable actions, set up Datadog logging/instrumentation, built multiple Terraform modules for repeat web and data stack architecture builds, and migrated them to Terraform Cloud.
- Established and maintained a bug bounty program during content management system (CMS) and Google Cloud Search integration.
- Documented Confluence architecture and development developments. Researched, scoped, and wrote sprint cards. Conducted training sessions for developers on data engineering, Terraform, and infrastructure as code (IaC).
Web and DevOps Engineer | Consultant
- Built custom Drupal modules and entire site setups.
- Developed Drupal configurations and built servers.
- Consulted and provided troubleshooting on matters related to Drupal.
- Provided back-end and DevOps services as well as front-end development.
- Focused on efficiency by always looking to automate repetitive tasks.
- Provided consulting on cloud infrastructure and application architecture.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Led an initiative to fully manage cloud infrastructure as a service (IaaS) in Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and AWS via Terraform.
- Collaborated with data engineers to help optimize Redshift costs.
- Completed dockerization of the LAMP development environment.
- Automated orchestration of the Kubernetes data product cluster.
- Scripted CI build setup, automation, and maintenance.
- Deployed and built the app, service, and infrastructure automation for various IaaS and platform as a service (PaaS).
- Led the migration from the custom Jenkins server to CircleCI and audited and managed AWS for cost inefficiencies.
- Managed and guided a CMS developer that planned an epic Drupal 8 upgrade for the rest of the team.
- Assisted other CMS developers with feedback and pull-request reviews. Planned Drupal 8 upgrade epic. Gathered technical requirements. Created story cards and other technical PM work.
- Assisted developers with any CI build issues or local development environment issues. Conducted research and communicated with the engineering team about improvements or problems. Produced video and text guides for users and developers.
Heartland Payment Systems
- Created various DevOps tools for source control management, built deployment automation, and conducted server/config maintenance. Automated tedious manual review-deployment processes.
- Handled various code maintenance tasks, including upgrading code projects and solutions, setting up debugging virtual machines, writing technical how-to documentation, and refactoring code for performance and readability.
- Managed many technical aspects like design, research, configuration, and builds of migrating all HPS web applications from a single physical server to virtualized load-balanced environment.
- Oversaw build deployment processes. Supervised other source control developers and system admins.
- Worked with all stakeholders, including QA analysts, network admins, and developers, to troubleshoot issues.
- Executed various ad-hoc server administration tasks.
- Coordinated with various stakeholders on orchestrating bug and feature deployment during legacy manual build processes.
I refactored the codebase as a developer, eliminating five custom modules, removing complicated cross-dependencies and redundancies, and reorganizing code to make it more readable and maintainable.
CircleCI, Terraform, Vim Text Editor, Git, Drush, Apache, Amazon EKS, Jenkins, NGINX, Zsh, Apache Airflow, Redash, AWS Glue, Amazon Athena, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, MSBuild, Jira, VMware, Helm
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), Drupal 6, Drupal 7, Drupal, Docker, Drupal 8, MacOS, Kubernetes, CentOS, Ubuntu, WordPress Theme Design, WordPress, Rackspace, SharePoint, Windows, Windows Server, Rackspace Cloud, Pantheon
Software Development, Vi, Computer Science, Mathematics, Google Data Studio, Data Engineering, Terraform Cloud, GitHub Actions, Amazon Kinesis, IIS, Consulting, Research
REST, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Object-oriented Design (OOD), Object-relational Mapping (ORM)
MySQL, MariaDB, Google Cloud, MySQL/MariaDB, Oracle PL/SQL, Redshift, Microsoft SQL Server
Drupal Commerce, Windows PowerShell, ASP, PHPUnit, ASP.NET, .NET, Classic ASP, Symfony
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics
Purdue University - West Lafayette, Indiana, United States