Java Developer in Atlanta, United States
Member since November 25, 2014
Shelley is a Java programmer and web developer with eight years of professional experience building software for the defense industry. She enjoys writing clean, correct, fast, well-documented, and well-tested code, and she has had a passion for AI since studying it during her student years. Shelley is a seasoned professional with great people skills, and is sure to be an asset to any project.
Software Engineer2015 - PRESENT4rc.io (via Toptal)
Technologies: Java, PostgreSQL, AWS Redshift, AWS SES, Dropwizard
- Built RESTful endpoints for purchase and invoicing workflow.
- Designed HTML emails for invoicing.
- Developed a service to generate and send invoice emails.
- Built RESTful endpoints for user account management.
Software Engineer2011 - 2014Georgia Tech Research Institute
- Developed a new SPA-style web app for administering firewalls and specifying access policies for classified web-based services. The web app was built with Ext JS on the front-end and a RESTful Spring- and Hibernate-based back-end.
- Overhauled a complicated GWT-based application module for handling the workflow for requesting and approving personnel access to classified programs.
- Designed and implemented a stand-alone service to perform content inspection on uploaded files for use in a classified file sharing system. Used JMS (for reliable asynchronous communications and load-balancing) and Guava's ListenableFuture API (to manage concurrent inspection processes).
- Integrated new and existing applications into an OpenAM-based single-sign-on framework to support access-controlled user sessions based on authorizations returned by the SSO server.
- Profiled and diagnosed performance issues in our SSO service until it met performance requirements (doubled the requests/minute).
- Offered meaningful and polite feedback in hundreds of code reviews for teammates and student co-ops.
Software Engineer2006 - 2011Veloxiti, Inc.
Technologies: C++, Java, Protege Ontology Editor, GATE NLP Toolkit, SOAP
- Designed and implemented the next version of Veloxiti's core product, a C++-based cognitive engine, as part of a small development team.
- Developed a graphical knowledge editing tool for Veloxiti's cognitive engine, built as a set of Java plugins to the Protege ontology editor.
- Built a Java application to extract structured data from military operation orders and tactical chat using the GATE natural language processing toolkit.
- Implemented Java- and Soap-based web services to communicate among Veloxiti's cognitive engine, a tool processing tactical mIRC chat, and the Army's Command Post of the Future.
- Performed background research, interviewed experts, and wrote the final report for an SBIR Phase I project to build an expert system to assist in the estimation of Human Systems Integration costs in Naval acquisitions.
- Soar-RL (Other amazing things)
An integration of reinforcement learning with the Soar cognitive architecture. Graduate school research.
FrameworksDropwizard, Machine Learning, JavaServer Pages (JSP), JPA, Google Guava, JUnit, Spring, Mockito, Spring MVC, Apache Shiro, Spring Security, Ext JS, Hadoop, Hibernate, AngularJS, Google Web Toolkit, TestNG
Libraries/APIsJMS, Java Servlets, JDBC, Jackson, SLF4J, AMQP, jQuery, JAX-WS
ToolsApache Tomcat, Maven, Git, Eclipse IDE, Stash, IntelliJ IDEA, Jira, Apache JMeter, AWS SES, YourKit, Subversion (SVN)
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Scrum, Distributed Programming
PlatformsLinux, MacOS, Oracle
OtherData Structures, Algorithms, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Web Services, Web Development, SSO, SOAP, SAML-auth
- Master of Science degree in Computer Science2001 - 2005University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics1996 - 2000University of Chicago - Chicago, IL