Principal Software Engineer2017 - PRESENTStaples, Inc.
Technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, Spring, Apache Tomcat, Java
- Led architecture and technology selection for a new cloud-based product recommendations platform at Staples.
- Managed and mentored junior engineers and a team of 5 contractors in India through the process of standing up a new production-ready, web-scale set of services in Azure.
- Leveraged popular tools and frameworks such as Kubernetes, Spring Boot, Grafana, Docker, and Splunk in the ground-up creation of new SaaS offerings.
- Guided the migration of existing Staples software stacks into the cloud, adopting open source alternatives to in-house and proprietary tools wherever possible.
- Worked with product managers, project managers, directors, and senior leadership to define requirements for the SparX personalization platform.
Senior Software Engineer2017 - 2017reTXT Labs, LLC
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, PostgreSQL, Hazelcast, CDI, Java
- Wrote distributed server-side Java features and tests for a secure text messaging startup.
- Audited system architecture for scalability and cloud readiness; wrote a twelve page whitepaper detailing comprehensive system changes required to achieve 100-million+ user scale.
- Designed and developed performance tests to exercise Hazelcast IMDG storage and processing at scale.
- Developed AWS-based deployment templates for automated creation of complete back-end stacks in the cloud, using ECS, ELB, RDS, AutoScaling, Route53, CloudFormation, and ECR Docker registry.
Software Development Engineer2013 - 2015Microsoft
- Worked as a member of the SPARTANS (Special Projects And Resources Team), a group of pinch-hitter engineers who are injected into problem areas for short term (2-4 month) engagements.
- Developed real-time service health and availability monitoring/alerting for BingAds live-site customer and ad campaign management services.
- Built the initial version of BingAds Android SDK (BingAds' version of Google's AdMob SDK).
- Embedded in BingAds client/customer/account management services team, working on day-to-day dev tasks and operations.
- Built Skype’s next-gen internal metrics dashboard (an in-browser data visualizer for metrics such as call length, dropped calls, active users, network partitions, etc).
Software Development Engineer2008 - 2012Amazon
Technologies: Oracle PL/SQL, MySQL, Perl, Linux, Apache Tomcat, Java
- Co-created the initial MySQL debut of AWS's RDS over the course of two years. Wrote highly scalable and highly available distributed systems in Java for RDS instance monitoring, failover, and event processing.
- Worked directly with principal engineers on a day-to-day basis to create solutions for server fault tolerance at massive scale. Solutions include detection of and recovery from WAN network partitioning, hardware failure detection, node presence, and health monitoring.
- Designed for monitoring and event processing in the cloud; was co-awarded patent 2011/0099,146 (reference http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/20110099146 ).
- Leveraged various existing AWS cloud offerings in both production and test software, including SDB, S3, EBS, EC2, CloudWatch, AutoScale, ELB, IAM, SWF, and SQS.
- Designed, developed, tested, and maintained several large-scale SOA services that comprised the core platform for Amazon's TradeIn program.
- Owned SDLC from requirements gathering to product definition, architecture design and documentation, coding, systems integration, test, and support, all the way to global expansion. All engineering was performed in a dynamic, results-driven Agile development environment.
- Gained experience in Oracle BI and data warehousing/ETL, large scale data management, data partitioning, data mining and analytics, relational DB schema design, and SQL tuning.
- Proved hands-on project management skills, long term schedule planning and task management, status, progress, and risk reporting, customer interfacing, and requirements documentation.
Embedded Software Engineer2004 - 2008Boeing Integrated Defense Systems
Technologies: VxWorks, Windows, Linux, C++, Java
- Worked on various teams as part of the US Air Force AWACS project.
- Designed, developed, and supported infrastructure software libraries and applications in C++ and Java for deployment to Windows, Linux, Solaris, and VxWorks platforms.
- Negotiated requirements, defined use cases, and interfaced with numerous product teams program-wide to coproduce and maintain ‘The Deployment Factory’ – a Java application that installs AWACS software components.
- Contributed to the development and integration of satellite communications simulation software for the Integrated Broadcast System military intelligence network.
- Evaluated, analyzed, and reported on the temporal performance of Mission Computing software and incorporated COTS products.