ember-devtools (Other amazing things)
EA Auctions (Development)
The EA Auctions website is a single-page app developed in Ember.js with a Node.js backend that uses a Redis server to provide JSON data and the real-time functionality. The site provides an online auction platform that allows users to bid against each other in real-time, as well as providing 'simulcast auction' functionality in which an audio stream of the auctioneer is broadcast to online bidders, who can bid against floor bidders in the auction room in real-time.
The site is fully responsive and has layout variations for desktop, tablet and phone. Try resizing your browser window to see this in action.
This is the 2.0 version of an online auction platform that was originally developed in 2008. The original site was developed using a PHP framework written by me called IrisPHP. The new site uses the existing back-end and admin functionality written in PHP, and uses Redis, Node.js, Socket.io and Ember.js to deliver an industry-leading realtime auction experience to both desktop and mobile clients.
- MySQL database and PHP admin back-end
- Redis for JSON and real-time ‘pub-sub’
- CoffeeScript and SASS rendered using Rails asset pipeline
- Node.js provides the RESTful API and websocket server for the client app
- Ember.js is used for the whole front end client app, and Socket.io for real-time communication
- PhantomJS to create the HTML for SEO
- Nginx web server
A simple jQuery plugin that transforms a set of Bootstrap tabs into a Bootstrap accordion. It can be configured to perform this transformation based on the size of the container or viewport to provide responsive awesomeness to your buzzword-rich UI.
jQuery Bonsai and friends (Development)
jQuery Bonsai is a super lightweight jQuery tree plugin that I wrote because all the other plugins that I found were far too heavyweight and cumbersome. Bonsai aims to be minimal and easy to style. I like to keep my open source projects very tight, so rather than adding to Bonsia, I developed these 3 other separate projects to provide add-on functionality:
1) jquery-qubit provides the semantics for a nested list of tri-state checkboxes, using the HTML5 "indeterminate" property (https://github.com/aexmachina/jquery-qubit).
2) jquery-json-list is a simple plugin to create a nested list from a JSON document (https://github.com/aexmachina/jquery-json-list).
3) list-filter.js filters a list of items based on an input field (https://github.com/aexmachina/list-filter.js).
REA Group's famous robot coding test (Development)
Other open source goodness (Development)
Simon is a mentor in the Toptal Global Mentor’s Program.
This program is a partnership between Toptal and General Assembly to provide high
quality mentorship for students from minority and low income backgrounds who are
looking to begin their careers as professional software engineers. Simon
shows commitment to diversity in tech by mentoring a General Assembly student every
week for a year, covering everything from coding tips and tricks to advice on making
it in the industry.