Software Developer in Dallas, TX, United States
Partner/Founder2015 - PRESENTQuantumIOT
Technologies: Ruby-on-Rails, Node.js, AngularJS, React Web/Native, jQuery, D3, Postgres, Redis, AWS S3/SQS/Lambda, Docker
- Created a secure end-to-end data analysis and visualization pipeline following the lambda architecture for operational insight into large dine-in theater chain used by thousands of client employees using Ruby-on-Rails, AngularJS/D3/Bootstrap, and AWS S3/SQS/Lambda.
- Developed a flexible open source data ingestion agent in Node.js for capture and of files and streaming socket data for upload into AWS S3 with 100% test coverage -- https://github.com/QuantumIOT/s3-ingestor.
- Developed an open source testing/scripting tool using Node.js to exercise the API of the qiot.io IOT device management platform with 100% test coverage -- https://github.com/QuantumIOT/qiot-io-cli.
- Advocated/supervised establishment of Azure Active Directory for a large client, and used SAML integration to provide single sign-on (SSO) for their operational analytics website, online ticketing system, and collaborative corporate Wiki.
- Led an agile software development team to create a React Native mobile app strategy for large client's consumers to perform online restaurant orders and bill payment.
- Used machine learning using RNN/LSTM technology in Python to provide forecasting of movie attendance for large dine-in theater chain.
- Developed embedded IOT agent in C on top of FreeRTOS to provide MQTT integration for OBD-based GPS tracking device to collect/report driver behavior data to the qiot.io platform.
Adjunct Professor/Entrepreneur in Residence2015 - 2016The University of Texas at Arlington
Technologies: Ruby-on-Rails, Node.js, AngularJS, jQuery, Postgres, Redis, Couchbase, Cassandra
- Taught graduate course in “Web Data Management.”.
- Supervised research for Masters and Ph.D. students.
- Published peer-reviewed papers such as with IEEE.
- Oversaw several visiting scholars from Italy for research project.
- Acted as liaison for corporate research gifts.
VP, Software Architecture / Applications2007 - 2015Numerex
Technologies: Ruby-on-Rails, Node.js, AngularJS, jQuery, MySQL, Redis
- Built a team of web/mobile application developers, DevOps experts, and offshore development resources to deliver “managed services."
- Architected and provided initial development for UplinkRemote -- a web and mobile solution for remote control of home security and home automation systems using Ruby-on-Rails.
- Architected and provided initial development for HeartAssist -- a web-based solution for remote monitoring of LVAD medical devices for client Reliant Heart using Ruby-on-Rails.
- Collaborated on the development of a carrier-grade network analytics solution for detecting anomalies within SS7 and GPRS communications used for dramatic operational cost reductions using "Big Data" technologies Hadoop and Spark.
- Created a technology suite used for customer applications in vehicle and asset tracking, oil and gas tank farm monitoring, and other M2M/IoT domains using Ruby-on-Rails.
- Created an open source Node.js agent for embedded Linux devices capable of remove device management and streaming data capture of serial and socket data communications from industrial control systems -- https://github.com/numerex/m2m-supervisor.
VP, Product Development / Customer Solutions2004 - 2007SensorLogic
Technologies: Java, JBoss, Flex, Oracle, MySQL
- Transformed an early-stage development team to achieve hardened production quality software deliverables through process leadership and hands-on mentoring of the development process.
- Led successful technical engagements with key customers with field deployments of a distributed solution involving both embedded and service-based software to provide sensor fusion and analytics for a global fruit harvesting/shipping/storage operation and commercial pork and poultry management systems.
CTO/COO/Founder1997 - 2004Alibre
Technologies: Java, C#, SQL Server, ASP.NET
- Created a patented, peer-to-peer, distributed computing solution bringing 3D solids modeling for mechanical design to the Internet.
- Distributed Data Ingestion Analysis and Visualization Pipeline (Development)
I created a distributed data ingestion, analysis, and visualization pipeline for a large dine-in theater chain. This project integrated diverse data sources (XML, SQL, TSV, and socket streams) from multiple Point-Of-Sale (POS) systems, a consumer website, and a real-time customer service button system, providing batch and streaming data to AWS S3, processed using AWS Lambda to provide data-fusion analytic outcomes. Thousands of client employees use this site -- executives, field management, and staffers -- for managing the intense operational dynamics of their theaters and kitchens through a responsive, Single Page Application (SPA) on desktops, tablets, and other hand-held devices, written using Ruby-on-Rails, Angular, D3, and Bootstrap. Access to this site is via a SAML integration to the company's Azure Active Directory system to provide them with secure PCI and SOX compliant services. Features include:
- Executive Dashboard of KPIs
- Real-time Status of Customer Requests and Theater Attendance
- Management Reporting of Operational Metrics
- Staff Ranking Using Blended Statistical Performance Measures
- Food Order Preparation Forecasting
- Digital Signage Management
- Commercial Device Management Platform for IOT (Development)https://qiot.io
I am a senior leader and mentor for the agile (SCRUM) development of the QuantumIOT qiot.io device management platform that provides elastic scale for remote and embedded devices to deliver data and receive configuration and upgrades. I am primarily responsible for the creation of external validation scripting tools using Node.js, enhancements to web application using React, code reviews, and driving rigorous test coverage.
- Consumer Mobile App for Online Order/Payment (Development)
I designed and supervised an agile (SCRUM) software development team to create a consumer mobile app for a large dine-in theater chain that allows customers to add orders to and pay their bill online, allowing the client to optimize labor and enhance revenue. The app has a ReactNative front-end and Node.js back-end, with commitment to test-driven development (TDD).
- GoTrack Vehicle Tracking Application (Development)https://login.gotrack.com
This application has been in development since 2007 starting with Ruby-on-Rails 1.4 and now 4.2 -- it has been refactored and re-platformed several times, currently running on Heroku. My role has been at times the lead developer, a mentor for other developers, and sometimes the sole developer. It features integration with the qiot.io device management platform using Sidekiq for event processing and a recent redesign using responsive CSS.
- ReliantHeart Medical Device Monitoring Application (Development)http://reliantheart.com/
This application was developed using Ruby-on-Rails and integrates with the Numerex (now Sierra Wireless) mobile device gateway to collect data from Left-Ventricular Assistance Devices (LVADs). The application provides clinicians with access to long-term trend data concerning the devices itself for predictive maintenance, as well as snapshots of patient heartbeat waveforms. My role was to lead the development effort with overall design and architecture, mentor the development team, and work with the client to accept delivery of features/functions.
- UplinkRemote Web and Mobile Application (Development)https://www.uplink.com/our-products/apps-interactive-services/uplink-remote/
I was the initial architect and lead developer for UplinkRemote, a web, and hybrid mobile application written in Ruby-on-Rails, to provide consumers remote arm/disarm control of their home security systems, accessed through their Uplink wireless backup device, and in addition, integrated remote access to wireless surveillance cameras. The administrative interface provided a network of dealers and distributors the ability to provision and maintain the customers' security systems and provide customer support through diagnostics and monitoring. I transitioned the lead role to one of my team members and continued in a mentoring/supervisory role.
- Industrial Fleet/Asset Tracking Applications (Development)
I was the chief architect and development mentor for several commercial applications written in Ruby-on-Rails and integrating with the Numerex (now Sierra Wireless) device gateway to manage over 100,000 cellular and satellite wireless devices with support for fleets of commercial vehicles (UplinkGPS and Numerex FastTrack Fleet), high-value assets (iManage), and oil-and-gas tank farms (Numerex iTank). While delivered using multiple websites, the core technology included support for dealer/distributor administration of customer fleets/assets, role-based secure customer logins featuring a variety of reporting and visualization views specific to the target industries.
- GeoForce Web Application (Development)https://www.geoforce.com/
My first Ruby-on-Rails application was developed for GeoForce. I was sole developer for several years starting in 2007 and created their initial fleet and asset tracking web application. While additional development was done after leaving the project, the screenshots of the application on their website today still show the features/functions and look-and-feel that I originally developed.
FrameworksAngularJS, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Express.js, Angular
Libraries/APIsREST APIs, Node.js, D3.js, jQuery, Sidekiq, React
ParadigmsMVC Design, REST, Agile Project Management, Unit Testing, DevOps, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile
PlatformsHeroku, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS EC2, Docker, AWS Lambda, New Relic, Kubernetes
StorageSQL Performance, Database Performance, AWS S3, Redis, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Couchbase, MongoDB, Cassandra
OtherBack-end Performance, Ruby Performance, Performance, Performance Analysis, MVC Development, Integration Testing, APIs, Internationalization, WebSockets, SOAP
ToolsRSpec, Nginx, MQTT, Amazon SQS, MATLAB, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ
- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering2010 - 2015The University of Texas at Arlington - Arlington, TX
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Computer Science1979 - 1983The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, TX