Lead Technical Architect2016 - PRESENTMinistry of Justice
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Microservices, APIs, Kubernetes, Python, Node.js, AWS
- Replaced the manual paper processes for a B2B digital service through successful beta and live phases and formal GDS assessment. Winner of Public Sector Paperless Award 2018.
- Replaced an inefficient, manually intensive process for a public-facing B2B digital service through successful formal GDS alpha assessment.
- Replaced the email spreadsheet process for a B2B digital service through successful formal GDS alpha assessment.
- Designed a new payment gateway to audit and process £1.5 billion outbound payments annually.
- Built a business case and pitched to stakeholders to migrate a large, legacy Java and Oracle application estate from an on-premise data center managed by a third party consultancy to a self-managed AWS infrastructure, and delivered the same as technical lead to a tight, contractually-bound deadline.
- Worked with a DevOps team to deliver a new Kubernetes/AWS-based cloud hosting platform empowering delivery teams to deploy services autonomously, conveniently, and securely.
- Engaged with stakeholders at all levels to define a path for transitioning from a closed, Oracle/Java stack and project-based delivery towards alignment with the Ministry of Justice/GDS technical standards and a service delivery model.
Senior Developer2015 - PRESENTFunding Circle
Technologies: Ruby, RabbitMQ, Docker, Mesos, Marathon, PostgreSQL
- Designed and architected core customer-facing technology.
- Delivered two major transformative projects to help the company lead the peer-to-peer lending industry.
- Led my peers as senior member of a team of 10 developers.
- Developed new microservice projects in a hosted Docker infrastructure using AMQP messaging.
- Maintained and improved existing code and supported the core new business pipeline tools and customer facing website.
Senior Developer2014 - 2015The App Business
Technologies: Ruby, Rails, Amazon Web Services, Akamai
- Designed and built the new back-end API architecture supporting News UK mobile/tablet applications.
- Led a team of three developers and mentored junior new starters.
- Worked in a multi-disciplinary Agile Scrum team.
- Worked across internal and external client teams across editorial, business, marketing, QA, and technical operations to define solutions and ensure successful delivery.
- Created production APIs supporting The Times Sport, Sun+ Tablet, Sun+ Mobile and Sun+ Goals mobile/tablet applications and 50,000 concurrent users.
Senior Developer2014 - 2014Money Advice Service, United Kingdom
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, RSpec, Bower, SitePrism
- Created a reusable pension calculator as a Rails Engine.
- Created reusable, stack independent Bower assets packages for reuse across projects.
- Worked within a cross-functional, Agile team using BDD principles.
- Worked on-site in London for full integration with the existing team.
- Participated in team projects and technology presentations to promote cross-team communication.
Senior Developer2013 - 2014Square Enix Europe, Ltd.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, AngularJS, Grape, Swagger, Faraday, Devise, CanCan, Sidekiq, OmniAuth, Thor, ActiveAdmin, GitLab CI, Steam Web API
- Designed and created tools to facilitate management of the company's live games.
- Worked closely with the company's global offices in Canada and Japan to facilitate global roll-out of the tools.
- Designed and implemented system architecture and continuous delivery systems.
- Created reusable API client libraries to allow other departments to consume game data.
- Designed and created UI components to allow rapid integration with additional games.
Senior Developer2013 - 2013Head London
Technologies: JRuby, Padrino, Celluloid, Jasmine, Azure, Swagger
- Created multithreaded API clients with JRuby and Celluloid to consume government content APIs.
- Created a high performance API using Redis and Varnish, documented using Swagger.
- Built responsive front-end code in a TDD workflow using Jasmine.
- Created and released a Conscript Ruby gem for creating and managing drafts of ActiveRecord instances.
- Worked within cross-functional, Agile teams.
Lead Developer2011 - 2013LoveThis
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, SendGrid, RSpec, Solr, Resque
- Created a RESTful API back-end service to power the web site and native mobile applications.
- Designed and created a responsive web client.
- Mentored junior team members and participated in pair programming.
- Handled system architecture and design.
- Integrated SendGrid API.
Lead Developer2008 - 2011Willoughby Stewart Associates, Ltd.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Solr, RSpec, Facebook Graph API, Twitter API, YouTube API, Sage Pay
- Led the development team and established team workflows and technologies.
- Consulted with clients to create innovative solutions to business problems.
- Created multiple projects for brands such as Fairline, Costa Coffee, Tesco, Carling, and Punch Taverns.
- Featured in a three-page article in .NET magazine issue 200, for use of 3D on the web.
- Created a booking system for UK's largest pub chain.
- Created Facebook apps for Tesco and others.
Project Manager/Lead Developer2008 - 2008Datasouth UK, Ltd.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails
- Gathered requirements, ran client meetings, developed functional specifications, and created wireframes.
- Researched, defined, and improved the tools and methodologies used in the company.
- Handled delivery of all client projects throughout the full project cycle,.
- Consulted with clients to produce solutions to business problems.
- Wrote my first projects using Ruby.
Developer2007 - 2008Estée Lauder Companies UK, Ltd.
Technologies: PHP5, Zend Framework JDEdwards, IBM DB2
- Created and implemented a global company-wide web application for security, coding, and documentation standards.
- Created an eCommerce system responsible for the majority of sales to non-EDI customers.
- Created an internal IT support alert system.
- Created a touchscreen point-of-sale system used in retail concessions throughout the UK.