Tech Lead/Architect2017 - 2019fashionTrade (freelance)
Technologies: Swift, iOS, REST, Cloud computing, CI
- Designed and implemented the proof of concept of fashionTrade's B2B fashion buying/selling app, and scaled it up to commercial deployment.
- Built the development team and grew it up to a four-person team responsible for screening and selecting candidates.
- Defined the API, guided the back-end development of the API, and built smaller parts of the back-end when BE team was time-constrained.
- Assisted the PM in defining the product and was actively contributing features and UX.
- Built automated deployment tools of the app for testing and production which were used as the basis for the CI pipeline.
Senior Mobile Engineer Navigation App2009 - 2017TomTom (freelance)
Technologies: Objective-C, C++, Objective-C++
- Improved the iPhone-specific UX and the C++ integration; guided and trained the development team to improve their skills in these fields.
- Did the heavy-lifting for supporting iOS in TomTom's C++ platform; ported all the software to 64 bit when Apple started mandating this.
- Handled the most complex issues found in the field, e.g., when iOS introduced a bug that caused the app to crash after a few hours of use.
- Fixed the Java-inspired basic app architecture, which wasn't optimal for iOS, saving the team huge amounts of time spent "working against the grain".
- Introduced support for right-to-left (i.e. Arabic) script in the app.
- Contributed to CI, distribution and other tooling required to maintain and deploy the app.
- Contributed to hiring and screening candidates, interviewing and appraising CVs.
- Contributed to product management/product definition groups.
- Served as the technical point of contact for Apple developer support.
Mobile lead and architect2011 - 2013TomTom Taxi (freelance)
Technologies: Objective-C, iOS, REST
- Kick-started the mobile app development for TomTom Taxi; took on lead and architect roles until commercial release.
- Worked with the PM to define functionality and UX; implemented initial versions.
- Implemented the POC for the Taxi app running on Android.
- Guided the back-end team in designing and implementing the REST API.
Team Lead, iOS2009 - 2009Ahold (freelance)
Technologies: iOS, Objective-C, REST, security
- Served as the team lead/architect for the initial launch of the signature app of the Netherlands' largest retailer.
- Helped to define the product's functionality and UX.
- Defined the client-server API from a mobile perspective.
- Contributed to building and scaling up the team (up to 5 devs, screening, interviewing, team organization).
- Contributed to securing the app and the API (passing the external audit on the first attempt).
Architect, Team Lead2005 - 2009ImBeeld/Cammit (freelance)
Technologies: Video streaming, Security, Perl, Full-stack, Postgres
- Helped the MT to decide between build or buy of a security camera management solution, and started the building phase.
- Grew the tech team (+4 people), and trained the team to learn key skills for the project.
- Architected and implemented the entire service offering (front-end, back-end, and mobile).
- Integrated with third-party components (camera API, SMS gateway, and ERP).
- Designed and built streaming pipelines, receiving from the camera and multiplexing the streams to several clients.
- Designed and built a distributed video storage./retrieval/management stack.
- Researched and built an image processing pipeline for motion detection to trigger alarm events for our users.
Kernel developer2004 - 2004TomTom (freelance)
Technologies: C++, C, kernel, Linux, driver
- Worked on drivers (USB) and kernel (suspend/resume) for the custom hardware of TomTom's first portable navigation device during it's RTM/go to market phase.
Development manager1999 - 2002Launchalot
Technologies: C++, UI, MPEG, DVB, streaming, image processing, performance
- Managed the 16 person engineering team that developed licensable cross-platform (Linux/MacOS/Windows) C++ frameworks for rich multimedia rendering and complex UIs, and bespoke solutions built on those frameworks.
- Oversaw development of the completely automated playout solution for the country's #1 FM radio station.
- Maintained the frameworks and radio applications and expanded on them to add digital streaming over public internet and DVB for broadcast networks (freelance).
- Created an application for automated playout of broadcast music TV, based on QuickTime for video decompression plus rendering to the (Blackmagic) broadcast video hardware, and CoreImage for configurable transitions between clips/adverts (freelance).
- Managed the developer support and documentation team.