CSS Developer in Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Designer + Technical Lead2015 - 2016Alchemy + Aim
- Built and maintained the base framework for all custom projects.
- Interviewed and assisted new staff during onboarding.
- Built a large number of the company's flagship projects.
- Contributed to major business decisions regarding the company's direction.
- Put together systems to standardize the project workflow among devs.
Web Designer2014 - 2015Firing Squad
- Built a donation site with rankings where users could nominate people to partake.
- Created a forum and community engagement website for a major energy drink.
- Set the internal standard for coding practices and frameworks used by other developers in the company.
- Managed projects, client expectations, deadlines, and collaboration with external developers and designers.
- Built a showcase and eCommerce website for a high-performance bicycle company.
- Built many sites from scratch, through a CMS like WordPress.
Web Designer2010 - 2014Freelance
- Rebuilt a major music blog in South Africa, which resulted in a 1500% increase in traffic.
- Designed and built an events calendar that could be maintained via a Google Docs CSV.
- Built a recipe database website for a major food brand's product range.
- Created a showcase and online order system for a wine company.
- Programmed a tool for users to place orders for prints of their Instagram images.
- Mietwise (Other amazing things)https://mietwise.com
Landing pages for a startup I'm part of. I built this in React using GatsbyJS. Following the modern development principles of the JAMstack, the site is dynamic but loads in about one second. It's also in two languages and, as it is technically an app, only requires one-page load (the first one).
See performance results here: https://website.grader.com/results/mietwise.com
- SimProject (Development)
Full UI design and front-end/React development for an app that runs corporation-like project simulations for business students.
The app itself is not publicly accessible, but a walkthrough of my role in the project is available at the link provided.
- Nutrition Stripped (Development)http://nutritionstripped.com/
Complete redesign, rebuild, and maintenance over a year for a high-traffic nutrition blog using WordPress. Included a store and a member's area dashboard for controlling access to specific content. Beyond the static front-of-house, it included filterable content, favorites, and downloads directory based on membership level and products purchased.
- Coco + Kelley (Development)http://www.cocokelley.com/
A redesign and rebuild of a lifestyle blog. Includes pretty standard features, but I hold this as an example of good execution. It includes Ajax-driven content loading and an affiliate store. All content on the site is easily managed via custom fields from the back-end.
- Learn Markdown: The Writing Tool for Software Developers (Publication)Face it, you're a software engineer, not a graphic designer. When you need to write a manual, technical document, or report, you just want to write it and be done with it. Especially for you as a software engineer -- who is not put off by needing to learn and use some basic syntax conventions -- Markdown can be the path of least resistance between what you want to write and getting it written.
ParadigmsResponsive, Web Design, BEM
OtherFront-end, User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), CSS Grid, Apollo
Libraries/APIsReact, GatsbyJS, jQuery
ToolsGit, Sketch, Prisma, Adobe Photoshop