Software Engineer2021 - PRESENTUber
Technologies: Go, MySQL, Prometheus, Grafana, Apache Kafka, Docker, Apache Cassandra, Slack, Jira, Git, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Data Structures, Databases, APIs, Back-end, Back-end Development, Software Architecture, SQL, Zendesk API, Architecture, REST APIs, Unix
- Led a project where freight loads were automatically scheduled at both pickup and dropoff based on different pieces of data, such as facility hours and scheduling methods. It's an event-based architecture written in Go.
- Met with both product managers and customers to help understand issues in the scheduling space and pitch ideas on how to fix those issues.
- Maintained another Go service that generates appointment times for freight loads. The service minimizes the amount of dead time for a trucker and also finds appointment times that will increase the margin of a given freight load.
- Set standards around monitoring and logging on new and existing services. This includes creating custom metrics to see the overall health of a service, custom alerts based on metrics, and other alerts based on the results of Kibana queries.
Software Engineer2019 - 2021USAA
Technologies: Java, Go, Amazon Web Services (AWS), MySQL, Apache Kafka, Terraform, Prometheus, Grafana, Slack, Jira, Git, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Data Structures, Databases, Spring, Docker, APIs, Back-end, Back-end Development, Software Architecture, SQL, Architecture, REST APIs, Unix
- Built cloud infrastructure on AWS. Wrote various Terraform modules and reference applications using those modules and helped application teams troubleshoot issues when migrating their apps to AWS.
- Built and maintained several codebases (Java 6 and 8) centered around core customer data. Each of the different subdomains (email, telephone, privacy) handles tens of millions of transactions a week.
- Led design meetings and did major development on a new sync process between two different data sources. The new process immediately handled failed sync items and double-checked changes made on a given day to ensure the two sources were in sync.
- Set standards, so my team started using Prometheus and Grafana to track metrics for all new projects. This served as a way to gauge the health of a project at any point in its flow.
- Acted as the formal mentor for a developer on my team. Scheduled paired programming sessions each week and frequent one on ones to ensure they were getting the support they needed.
- Conducted interviews for interns, new college hires, and experienced candidates.
Software Engineer2018 - 2019American Express
Technologies: Go, Apache Kafka, PostgreSQL, Slack, Jira, Git, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Data Structures, Databases, Prometheus, Grafana, Docker, APIs, Back-end, Back-end Development, Software Architecture, SQL, Architecture, REST APIs, Unix
- Collaborated with various teams to create an engineering platform in Go that can be used by any other engineering team at American Express.
- Followed an inner-source philosophy where our team will leverage libraries and repositories other teams have written, doing the same with our libraries.
- Created automatic builds with GitLab and Jenkins on each Git commit and automatic alerts when a build fails due to a test failure or compile error. There were automated deployments once a PR was merged.
- Followed the Agile methodology with two-week sprints, estimating the time needed for stories, and paired programming. Every story was demoed to a lead engineer or PO.
Software Engineer2016 - 2018General Motors
- Worked on five projects, where each project added around ten features to an internal web app used by electrical engineers. The web app used an AngularJS front end, Java Spring back end, and OracleDB to store data.
- Followed the Agile methodology with three-week sprints, estimating the amount of time needed for features, and paired programming. There was a demo after every sprint.
- Met with my business partners to gather requirements for any currently scheduled project and once every sprint to reprioritize features.
- Mentored younger team members on web programming, coding standards, and best practices, helping with their continued growth as software engineers.
Software Engineer2013 - 2016USAA
- Met with my business partners twice a month to go over high-level defects involving core customer data and any projects involving core customer data.
- Mentored junior developers through paired-programming sessions, code reviews, and one-on-one meetings.
- Won a company hackathon by helping create a phone app that estimates a person’s heartbeat to help prevent fraud. This project resulted in a patent (patent number 9953231).