Verified Expert in Engineering
Stuart is a software engineer and trainer who specializes in helping teams deliver projects on web and mobile through consultancy, development, and training. He’s passionate about bringing business visions to life with effective software solutions. As well as having the technical skills, Stuart tries to bridge the gap between the business and the product—ensuring that business goals are achieved with the most effective technical solution.
MySQL, Node.js, Git, Chrome, Atom
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was a sports video analysis application to help athletes get improve themselves.
Director | Consultant
- Provided Ext JS specific development and consultancy for an Ext JS-based sports video analysis tool.
- Created and ran a series of webinars for Sencha to demonstrate the building of a cross-platform application using Ext JS.
- Transformed two international airlines' websites so that they meet WCAG guidelines.
- Developed a Vue application to help streamline the real estate process in the USA.
- Built an accessible front-end for Jira and added specific client reporting tools.
- Worked closely with a small development team to develop reusable components and features for their Ext JS web application.
- Created an automated system to send text messages to customers at key points after their original purchase. This is integrated with the client's POS system and an SMS provider.
- Delivered a startup's MVP single-page application based on shifting requirements, helping them secure funding and their first users. Once delivered, I continued development while helping build the development team.
- Developed training material for an Ext JS 6 course being run by a specialist consultancy.
- Automated a drop shipper's product selection process by scraping the source site based on specific keywords and presenting a list of pre-filtered results.
Co-founder | Consultant
- Grew the revenue from 0 to over £500,000 in the first four years.
- Became the first Sencha partner outside the US in 2011.
- Secured contracts with big name clients, such as E.ON, Scottish Power, Orange, and Aberdeen City Council.
- Built and mentored a team of six developers.
- Architected and implemented software solutions for major enterprise projects.
- Managed multiple, concurrent Agile projects from inception to delivery.
- Ensured we delivered quality software solutions.
- Built the technical team and mentored junior and senior employees.
- Interfaced with clients throughout the project lifecycle.
- Delivered on-site training to development teams and individuals.
- Created a real-time vehicle tracking and monitoring application.
- Built a city discovery mobile application.
- Delivered a mobile application to assist the roll out of smart meters across the UK.
- Developed a real-time data visualisation application for vessels using Ext JS.
- Created a mobile application for a local credit union to allow members to check balances and transaction history.
- Built an application to allow families to manage all their activities and todos in a central place. This included a calendar integration, to-do lists, and multi-user login.
Front-end and .NET Developer
NHS Education for Scotland
- Attended user group meetings to discuss future requirements and draw up specifications for enhancements and desired functionality.
- Worked closely with the team, users, and stakeholders to develop new features and improve the system as a whole.
- Worked towards and meeting tight deadlines for functionality necessary for the organization to complete its annual work cycle.
- Provided frontline support to users.
- Developed their in-house system.
- Added features to the field agents' mobile application.
- Created a document generating and compiling tool to streamline the production of mailshots.
API Software Ltd
- Created custom reports for clients.
- Added features to the financial reconciliation software tool that we sold.
- Helped create a set of custom web components to build a web version of our software.
Drop Shipping Automation Tool
The user would provide a keyword to find products relating to and the tool would scrape the product inventory site and extract all potentially suitable products, filtering the results based on specific criteria, such as sales, reviews, and views.
The results would then be added to a Google Sheet for the user to browse.
Automated SMS Outreach Tool
The problem was solved with a tool which would extract a set of users based on pre-defined criteria (e.g., 30 days after purchase) from their existing point-of-sales system.
It would then send each customer an SMS message offering them a discount or notifying them of a new service etc.
The tool was written with Node.js and MySQL.
It is used by sports teams across the world including high school, college, and professional levels and caters specifically to more than ten sports.
I am involved with building the front-end web application that the players, coaches, and loggers use on a daily basis. I have worked on numerous features that enable the process from end to end.
• Custom Gantt chart component
• Player and event position data visualization with D3.js
• Drag-n-drop lineup creator
• Playbook builder
• Integration of features closely related to videos, including overlay drawing, timeline tagging, and video clipping
The application is built with the Ext JS framework.
Ext JS 6: Getting Started
This book and accompanying video lessons are aimed at new and experienced Ext JS developers who are looking for a great resource to help them get up to speed on Ext JS 6.
The book offers clear explanations of the new concepts and terminology introduced in the latest Sencha framework. Get a handle on the new architecture and how to go about upgrading to the latest version.
I self-published this book in 2015.
Ext JS Essentials
Following on from the Ext JS Cookbook, this publication steps through developing a simple project and addressing all the features of the framework.
Published in 2015 by Packt Publishing.
Ext JS 4 Web Application Development Cookbook
This book was well received by the community and sold over 3,000 copies.
A Calendar Component for the Sencha Touch Frameworkhttps://github.com/SwarmOnline/Ext.ux.TouchCalendar
Ext JS, Chrome, .NET, ASP.NET
Vue, jQuery, Node.js, React
MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB
Product Development, Software Development, Entrepreneurship
Bachelor's Degree with First Class Honors in Computing
University of Strathclyde - Glasgow, Scotland
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring