Lead Software Engineer2019 - PRESENTDormzi
Technologies: React Native, MongoDB, Apollo GraphQL, XState, Firestore, ExpressJS
- Managed five engineers distributed across five countries, out of which are three Toptal engineers. Interviewed and hired the other two outside of Toptal.
- Took over a codebase with high amount of technical debt from an outsourced party, rebuilt the team, put in place agile practices and lean software development culture, worked with a QA engineer to stabilize the product and successfully launched version 1.0.
- Personally rebuilt the infrastructure of the react-native app to clean up thousands of lines of repetitive code while creating a strong baseline for the future development plan and orchestrated the rest of the team to build new features on top.
- Handled the migration of server-side architecture from Express, Firebase Functions, and Firestore to Apollo, Heroku, and MongoDB Atlas to allow for better extensibility, security, and simplified logic.
- Collaborated with a Toptal UX designer, a Toptal product manager, and a non-Toptal product manager to orchestrate the dev team to implement version 2.0 design, which is a total make-over of the product based on user feedback from version 1.0 while creating a more consistent atomic design system.
- Planned and held product meetings to ensure three-way feedbacks among product, design, and dev for maximum product impact and minimum development cost, while also steering each member of the dev team toward high ownership of various parts of the product.
- Maintained the development process and constantly made iterative changes to the process to tailor-fit to the team and the circumstances rather than adhering strictly to existing agile frameworks.
Co-founder | CTO2017 - PRESENTOhana — Singapore & Vietnam
Technologies: React Native, MongoDB, Express.js, HTML, CSS, Angular (Legacy), Highcharts, Tableau, Sketch, Firebase
- Founded and managed the entire product team of the most advanced apartment marketplace in Vietnam (Airbnb-like, for residential rentals) on React/React Native and launched on both web and mobile. The marketplace reached 200,000 users in 2 years serving 1500 apartment finders every day.
- Built from scratch the entire stack of the marketplace including mobile apps on React Native, APIs on ExpressJS, and database as MongoDB.
- Developed from scratch the entire authentication system to replace Firebase due to its low performance in Asia.
- Created a concurrency system to sync users' offline data across multiple devices.
- Migrated all of the AngularJS components on the legacy web app to React Native on mobile while rewriting 0 lines of code.
- Used data analytics to identify and rewrite several MongoDB queries with performance issues.
- Created a roommate-matching algorithm based on 22 different lifestyle qualities.
- Created a customizable form wizard where each step dynamically adapts to multiple answers in the previous steps. The wizard engine is decoupled enough to be reused on both React Native and Angular.
- Built several admin features on React including data charts (with Highcharts), CRMs, and user management.
- Developed from scratch a simpler alternative to Redux but highly tailored to the current system.
- Designed from scratch the UI/UX, and branding of the product with Sketch and, later on, led the product design team.
- Developed and iterated on Tableau charts with connection to the MongoDB BI portal to perform product and sales data analytics resulting in 2x the GMV of the marketplace.
- Developed financial models, laid out business strategy, and participated in strategic investor meetings.
Co-founder | CEO2014 - 2016KodeQ — Atlanta, GA & Vietnam
- Participated in the sales, management, and operations—growing the company to 15 engineers.
Software Engineer V2014 - 2015ADP — Atlanta, GA
- Joined the effort of rebuilding the entire web product by transforming a scattered system of web technologies into a centralized system with unified standards and up-to-date technology using a proprietary framework that was built in-house.
- Redesigned the product with Sketch.
- Made several adjustments to the framework in its early days.
Technologies: AngularJS, Sass, Facebook API, Highcharts, HTML, CSS
- Joined the core team that establishes new programming standards for the front end of a newly built content management system on Weather.com.
- Designed and implemented foundational Angular services and directives that are later used by other developers to build testable application modules.
- Transferred knowledge and experiences to several team members who were new to AngularJS.
- Optimized the critical rendering path, bringing page load time from five seconds to two seconds.
- Trained and mentored new team members.
- Performed code review during development cycles to ensure code quality and standards.
- Used a Highcharts library to deliver charting solutions across the weather visualization features.
Technologies: Backbone.js, Fabric, RequireJS, HTML5 Canvas, AngularJS, easyXDM (CORS), HTML, CSS
- Worked with HTML5 Canvas and Fabric to create a straightforward, interaction design tool that allowed customers to customize printable products.
Web Application Developer2012 - 2013WingStats — Atlanta, GA
Technologies: Yii Framework (PHP), jQuery, AngularJS, HTML, CSS
- Successfully implemented agile development workflows.
- Built the whole system from the ground up: database design, back-end, and front-end architectural design.
- Migrated the original application from BackPress to the Yii Framework for an improved component organization thus putting more focus onto solid architecture and security.
- Customized the Yii framework to add design patterns that support enterprise-grade software development: dependency injection, aspect-oriented programming, two-step view layout, service layer (transaction script implementation), and JSON web service inspired by the "Patterns of Service-oriented Web Application" by Martin Fowler.
- Completely replaced an outdated jQuery front end with modern Angular and RequireJS.
Full-stack Magento Developer2012 - 2013ExpandLab (Acquired by Visiture) — Atlanta, GA
- Customized and developed from scratch sophisticated Magento extensions spanning the back end to front end for several eCommerce websites built on the Magento framework.
Technologies: Backbone.js, HTML, CSS