Ruby on Rails Engineer2021 - PRESENTSaaS HR Platform
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails API, Ruby on Rails 5, RSpec, Elasticsearch, AWS, PostgreSQL, SQL, Kubernetes, Mentorship & Coaching, Graphiti, Rubocop, Docker
- Rewrote a search index job to cut a 30-hour process down to one hour, using parallel processing and batching calls to remote services.
- Built a custom Elasticsearch adapter for the Graphiti library to enable JSON API compliant endpoints to be backed by search index.
- Refactored legacy code to enable logic reuse during the transition from Ember front end to React; retired unused code from the legacy application.
- Reduced RSpec test time by more than 50% while increasing code coverage.
- Mentored a small team of developers learning Ruby on Rails.
Ruby on Rails Engineer2020 - 2020Fortune 500 Retailer
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails (RoR), PostgreSQL, Redis, Best Practices, Enterprise Application Design, Docker, RSpec, Rubocop, Ruby on Rails API, Ruby on Rails 5
- Brought in best practices to a small group working in spreadsheets and reporting tools without much support from IT. Stressed the importance of automation and test environments in mitigating risk.
- Designed an application to capture user requests (previously sent by email), enable approval workflow, and apply updates programmatically (previously done with manual SQL statements).
- Built Ruby on Rails API for an application using a PostgreSQL database and a Redis Cache.
- Wrote a Docker build file for deployment to Kubernetes.
Ruby on Rails Engineer2019 - 2020Agricultural Supply Chain Platform
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails API, Clean Code, RSpec, Docker, Rubocop, Ruby on Rails 5
- Refactored code to standardize and encapsulate the generation of accounting entries.
- Worked with the development team to focus on unit testing first. The effort helped to speed up tests by 30%.
- Designed and built flexible contract templates to allow pricing to be defined at multiple levels across multiple harvests.
- Created monthly farmer statements showing inventory and processing information.
- Updated the developer setup to use Docker for the database to remove the need for local installation. Enabled development on Linux and made the database upgrade easy for the development team.
Ruby on Rails Engineer2017 - 2019Fortune 500 Retailer
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Docker, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Stimulus JS, Enterprise Application Design, Clean Code, RSpec, Rubocop, Server-side Rendering, Full-stack, Ruby on Rails API, APIs
- Architected a product catalog to support multiple roles, each defined by business users. The configuration was collected in a Ruby on Rails app that turned it into both serializers for the API and a contract for the SPA front end.
- Crafted a Docker Compose file for developers to run the application with a Sinatra app, a database (PostgreSQL), a cache (Redis), a search index, and five Rails apps. Included proxy server so individual local services would automatically switch over.
- Designed a custom ETL framework to capture data from disparate systems, including web services, flat files, and external databases. Built in Ruby on Rails, which enabled developers to quickly map from source data to a consolidated data model.
Ruby on Rails Engineer2014 - 2017E-tailer Startup
Technologies: Ruby, Ruby on Rails (RoR), MySQL, Docker, Rubocop, RSpec, APIs, Java, Server-side Rendering, Full-stack, Ruby on Rails API
- Designed and built a framework to enable data to be published to multiple external systems. Each of the 20+ endpoints could have different triggers, target types (file, SOAP, and web services), formats (JSON and XML), and size thresholds.
- Developed an inventory management platform and enabled an e-tailer to manage the availability of both drop ship and owned inventory.
- Converted and cleaned up redundant SKU data to enable double dropdowns (size, color, finish, etc.) on the product display page.
- Built a Java-based service to find similar products. Implemented the related products feature on the consumer website.