Architect and Lead Developer2016 - PRESENTHeat Oracle
Technologies: Django, PostgreSQL, Bootstrap, D3.js
- Built a front-end website and Django-powered app for polling Particle.IO devices for users' heating oil levels in their home.
Developer2013 - 2016Harvard Business School
Technologies: Python, Django, CoffeeScript, Backbone, MongoDB, Redis, Sass, jMeter, New Relic
- Worked as one of the lead developers on HBX's MOOC.
- Reviewed all code contributions from the team for readability, consistency, and performance.
- Built automated performance testing using jMeter, Jenkins, and additional tools.
- Managed builds and releases.
- Profiled code extensively to find bottlenecks and ways to improve performance.
Lead Developer2011 - 2015Ground Energy
Technologies: Django, Python, PostgreSQL, jQuery, Pandas, APIs, Requests (Python)
- Authored the Ground Energy platform singlehandedly. The system accepts reports from ground pump systems on a minute-by-minute basis and reports in real-time. In spite of a number of multi-gigabyte tables, the front-end delivers reports and graphs on derived data quickly.
- Worked with the client on an on-again, off-again basis efficiently and without introducing regression bugs thanks to solid code coverage.
- Moved from accepting proprietary XML from sensors to also pulling reports from APIs like Ecobee thanks to flexible architecture.
Developer2007 - 2015Microarts/Lightfin
- Worked with the company founders from the start to deliver projects for dozens of clients.
- Built multiple sites for banking industry clients in various technologies.
- Created a series of sites for beverage industry clients from a common Django codebase to reduce delivery time and cost.
- Built a single Django site for a real estate management company that powered multiple apartment community sites and integrated with a proprietary billing and contact management system to allow tenants to get information quickly and keep their records up to date easily.
- Worked with internal front-end developers to make it easy to spin up Django projects and work on them without having to know Python or the command line.
- Ensured that each project came with automated deployment scripts to allow internal developers to push a deployment without having to know the inner workings.
- Integrated unit tests into the process to prevent them from blowing things up.
Developer2013 - 2014URS Connect
Technologies: Python, Bluetooth, Pandas
- Took over an existing Django codebase written by an intern.
- Refactored and documented the existing codebase to deliver better performance.
- Delivered a new approach, after learning what the code actually did (or thought it did), using Pandas and a class-based approach to replace the existing mess of functions and global data structures.
- Worked directly with the client to create a sensible set of unit tests to prove the code did what it was supposed to do.
- Learned a good deal about Bluetooth connections in order to figure out how to filter out false positives and duplicates to get more accurate information from the data.
Developer2007 - 2012Small Army
Technologies: Django, Python, RWD, Facebook, .NET, PHP, Google Maps
- Built the new website for a web development company.
- Worked with the lead designer to build their first responsive web offering.
- Tested site across multiple platforms and delivered sensible media breakpoints and sized imagery by device size.
- Built tools to allow non-technical staff to keep the site updated without harming the user experience.
- Balanced the designer's wishes against user experience to deliver good performance from an image-heavy site with lots of interactivity.
- Built a Facebook application for the Solidworks college program, including a weekly quiz and awards engine written in Python.
- Developed the site for Boston's Salon Week that allowed salons to sign up/purchase membership, manage their salon's page and offers, and post photos that could be cropped in-browser and then voted on by other users.
- Refactored and optimized the .NET site for Lee Iacocca's 2008 presidential bid.
- Conducted SQL Server reporting for multiple projects.
- Worked on the existing PHP codebase for massvacation.com. Rebuilt the site's front-end and refactored its code.
Developer2010 - 2010WGBH/Entropy Media
Technologies: Python, Django, OAuth, Facebook, Twitter
- Build the Django site that powered a community conversation for Frontline's "God in America" episode.
- Worked with PBS developers to integrate their Django/oAuth library into the site so PBS members had a seamless experience.
- Built moderation tools to ensure polite conversation on what was sure to be a heated topic.
- Integrated the site with popular social media platforms.
- Built a custom file storage back-end so that Django would work with the client's requirements and setup.