Site Reliability Software Engineer2017 - PRESENT
Technologies: C++, Google Cloud, Python
- Supported the YouTube infrastructure.
Temporal Full-Time Professor2016 - 2017Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
Technologies: Python, MATLAB
- Taught a "Pattern Recognition" postgraduate course for computer science students and "Introduction to Programming" for engineers.
- Conducted a study regarding the position and the organization of the computer science department to gain insights about possible future directions of change.
- Guided several pattern recognition student projects—ranging from image classification to data visualization.
Part-Time Professor2015 - 2016Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
Technologies: Python, PyCharm, Moodle
- Taught "Introduction to Programming" course for engineers using Python.
- Obtained some of the best evaluation scores from the students.
- Every semester tried new ideas (new material, activities and videos) to engage the students with the course.
Researcher (Ph.D Candidate)2013 - 2016Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
Technologies: Python MATLAB, C, LaTeX, Bash, Dropbox
- Analyzed and corrected some widely-used assumptions related to the usage of Fisher Vectors in Image Retrieval, increasing the system precision by 5% using the same resources. (Published in ICPRAM 15).
- Combined image descriptors using different sampling methods and attained a 12% precision increment in an Image Retrieval system. (Published in ICPRAM 15).
- Proposed a new graph representation to combine many lightweight image representations achieving state of the art precision, while using 3 to 20 times less memory. (Published in CIARP '15 and JVCIR '16).
Co-Founder | Chief Technology Officer | Software Engineer2012 - 2013Mobink
Technologies: C++, Objective-C, Java, Android, NDK, iOS, Vuforia SDK, Mercurial, Bitbucket
- Designed and implemented a cross-platform (iOS, Android) C++ 3D graphic engine based on OpenGL ES 2.0 focused on the needs of augmented reality applications.
- Implemented the dynamic load of 3D assets and textures to allow content to be downloaded and loaded on real-time, while taking into account the memory limitations of the device.
- Incorporated DAE 3D models importation with morph animations.
- Integrated Vuforia SDK (for augmented reality capabilities) with the 3D engine for iOS and Android.
Founder2012 - 2012Tom's Apps
Technologies: Android, Java, Eclipse
- Built a fast and responsive vignette viewer for a few websites (70,000 - 100,000 downloads).
- The system built was 200% faster compared to competing applications, thanks to the use of simple cache techniques, using an custom parser instead of DOM parsers and managing the HTTP connections differently.
Co-Founder | Chief Operating Officer | Software Engineer2008 - 2012Gled
Technologies: C++, Flash, OGRE3D, Flare3D, Away3D, Irrlicht, OpenAL, SVN, Bitbucket, Alchemy
- Designed, implemented, and integrated the graphical back-end of a C++ framework to create flexible and extensible desktop Augmented Reality Applications.
- Implemented a new graphical back-end using Flash 3D engines and integrated it with C++ cross-platform code via Alchemy.
- Coordinated the assets creation with outsourced 3D artists and clients to fulfill their requirements, while keeping the technical constraints in check.
- Wrote a Flash 10/11 API to freely create augmented reality applications using our technology.
- Integrated FFmpeg for video playback on textures of 3D objects.