Verified Expert in Engineering
Embedded Systems Developer
Umar is a seasoned embedded systems developer with an outstanding track record of developing C and C++ firmware for atomic force microscopy, ultrasonic instrumentation, IoT, and automotive applications. He is skilled in PIC microcontroller units (MCUs), Texas Instruments DSP, RTOS, OpenWRT embedded Linux, and PCB development using Ultiboard and Proteus. Umar is keen on the entire development cycle, from the concept stage and circuit design to PCB testing and verification.
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is leading the development of blast overpressure, military-standard wearable sensors for law enforcement applications.
Embedded Systems Consultant
- Contributed as a team lead on a blast overpressure sensors project for law enforcement applications. These are robust military standard wearable sensors that measure blast exposure for the user.
- Developed test procedures for testing the complete blast overpressure sensors' functionality ranging from dynamic pressure calibration, power-saving modes, communication, and data storage.
- Carried out extensive board fire-up, troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and rapid feature addition.
- Wrote Python scripts for in-circuit testing and Matlab scripts for dynamic pressure calibration.
Embedded Firmware Developer
- Developed embedded C firmware for a Bluetooth range extender using the Silicon Labs BGM13P22 module. The purpose of the repeater was to extend the range of the flagship concrete temperature sensors already developed by the company.
- Interacted with the app development team to develop a robust state machine for the repeater ensuring seamless integration, FOTA (BLE/USB), AES-128 encryption, bonding and protection against a man-in-the-middle attack, eavesdropping, and tracking.
- Developed a Python script for monitoring Bluetooth packets captured and recorded using the Silicon Labs Network analyzer and Packet Trace Interface.
- Set up version control using Bitbucket with Sourcetree, code documentation using Doxygen, and Docker to make the development environment platform-independent.
- Developed an embedded Linux C# firmware—Yocto—on ARM Cortex-A7 for an electronic fuel register. The instrument was meant to measure the fuel flow, print fuel tickets, and maintain calibration as per Canadian weights and measures standards.
- Designed and implemented an extraction, transformation, and. loading (ETL) pipeline between an SQL database hosted on AWS cloud and US and Canadian QuickBooks. The objective was to transfer propane delivery data from trucks to propane suppliers.
- Defined CRUD test cases to test ETL pipelines. The pipelines were used to migrate propane transfer data to and from retail suppliers to the AWS cloud and fuel supply trucks.
- Implemented test procedures for fuel register interfaces controlled by custom handheld units and Android tablets. These interfaces were designed to be used with Total Control Systems 3000, MID:COM 8000, and Liquid Control fuel registers.
Senior Electronics Engineer
- Designed and implemented a compact OBD unit that could measure automobile data in real time, including speed, GPS location, engine RPM, and engine coolant temperature, and convey it to a designated server using TCP/IP and a cellular network.
- Automated fuel sensor calibration. Devised an automated fuel sensor calibration system using National Instruments DAQ NI USB-6001, drastically reducing the testing time and minimizing the p-value.
- Conducted project negotiation with Telenor Pakistan.
- Developed FreeRTOS C firmware for an Internet of Things (IoT) solution to remotely measure the fluid flow and temperature using the CC3200 microcontroller from Texas Instruments.
- Implemented an ultrasonic liquid level detection system using the PIC16F1824. Worked on the complete schematic and PCB design using Ultiboard, prototype testing, and verification.
- Developed an ultrasonic air-in-line detection embedded system using the PIC12F1822. Handled the schematic design, prototype testing, and verification, and the micro-controller interface with the piezo load.
Blast Overpressure Sensor for Law Enforcement Applications
Customized ETL Pipelines
Bluetooth Range Extender
On-board Diagnostics System (OBD) for Automobiles
IoT Solution for Remote Measurement
MATLAB, PCB Layout, OrCAD, IAR Embedded Workbench, SourceTree, LabVIEW
Embedded Systems, Control Systems, Engineering, Circuit Design, Electronics, Windows 10, Robotics, Circuit Analysis, Firmware, Firmware over the Air (FOTA), Hardware Troubleshooting, Version Control, Yocto, Proteus, PCB Functional Testing, Real-time Operating System (RTOS), Ultiboard
C, C#, Lua, Embedded C, SQL, C++
Bluetooth LE, Docker, Embedded Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), OpenWRT
PhD in Electronics Engineering
University of Southampton - Southampton, United Kingdom
Master of Science Degree in Robotics and Automation
TU Dortmund University - Dortmund, Germany
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronics Engineering
GIK Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology - Topi, Pakistan