R&D Team Lead2020 - 2020Verizon Media
- Led a small, remote R&D team that was assembled for a company initiative to enrich the web AR immersive platform with new features using deep learning technology.
- Collaborated with the product group to identify technical limitations and possible use cases and create specifications and delivery roadmaps for new features.
- Designed and created a WebAR sandbox environment to test and develop web-based deep learning methods.
- Added real-time face-tracking capabilities to the WebAR platform, allowing web-based face filters, virtual try-ons, and other face-based AR experiences.
Lead AR Engineer2019 - 2020Verizon Media
Technologies: Android OpenGL, GLSL, C++, Mixed Reality (MR), 5G, Deep Learning, OpenCV, Computer Vision, ARKit, ARCore, H264, Unreal Engine 4, iOS, Kotlin, Android
- Led development activities for an AR and 5G company initiative to create a movie-grade interactive movie poster experience that utilizes a proprietary AR remote rendering technology and 5G to achieve mobile experiences with high-end AR graphics.
- Managed and led the development of a fan-engagement AR app (Android and iOS), exclusive to in-stadium NFL fans (SuperBowl LIV,) that displays AR content with live player stats, big plays, and other game content on the real field.
- Co-designed and developed a proprietary football field tracking algorithm (patent pending) that achieves real-time, long-distance, 3D tracking of NFL fields to enable mobile apps displaying AR content on the real field.
- Designed and created a custom mixed reality remote rendering system that combines server-side rendering, chroma-keying techniques, and a custom lag compensation algorithm to create Android apps that display remotely rendered, high-quality MR content.
- Created a custom C++ and UE4 plugin to extend Pixel Streaming capabilities and allow for a remote client mobile device to control a virtual AR camera in a 3D scene.
- Developed an Android VR app that renders a remotely rendered VR scene, utilizing remote rendering technology (UE4), and implemented a custom client-server protocol to mirror the server-side virtual camera with the pose of the mobile device.
Senior Android AR Developer2019 - 2019Verizon Media
Technologies: Leadership, 3D Graphics, Android, Augmented Reality (AR), ARCore, Kotlin, Java
- Joined an established small remote team to push an immersive platform SDK for Android to production. It was integrated by numerous apps of the VMG Group that easily enable dynamic AR experiences and AR ads served over a content delivery network.
- Played a key role in bringing the Android SDK to feature parity with the iOS platform equivalent, including graphics capabilities and UX specifications.
- Troubleshot and unblocked the development of a high-profile AR experience prototype, optimizing live video stream reception and rendering to ensure real-time performance.
Senior Android AR Developer2018 - 2019ForwardGameAR
Technologies: Bluetooth, Socket.IO, Mapbox, OpenGL, ARCore, Android SDK, Java
- Worked with Berlin start-up ForwardGameAR on fan-engagement gamification projects Schalke-Quest and Telekom Dome as lead Android developer.
- Co-designed and developed a device-to-device communication protocol and a reusable back-end communication framework (Bluetooth, SocketIO, REST).
- Successfully migrated existing iOS functionality and UI to Android and progressed along with iOS corresponding version.
- Optimized open-source UI/UX and Mapbox libraries to meet the project’s high-performance specifications.
- Developed and migrated AR Games from iOS using OpenGL and custom scene, physics, and asset management.
- Developed four (4) custom multi-player AR games.
Principal R&D Engineer2016 - 2018Center for Research & Technology Hellas
Technologies: MATLAB, Android, OpenCV, GLSL, Python, Java, C++
- Completed end-to-end design and development of clinical assessment/monitoring apps (Android).
- Designed, developed, and clinically evaluated two (2) AR serious games targeted to HMDs and tablets (Android/C++).
- Successfully planned and completed the integration of developed components to the integrated platform ahead of project technical review.
Research Associate2014 - 2016University of Patras
Technologies: Bullet, JNI, Android, OpenGL, OpenCV, Java, C++
- Developed a cross-platform sandbox environment (Windows/Android) for prototyping AR apps and computer vision algorithms.
- Designed and developed key modules/interfaces (physics simulations, PBR rendering, user-perspective view, hand gesture recognition, and eye-tracking), part of an MR cross-platform SDK.
- Re-designed the computer vision course curriculum and created a modern set of lab exercises using C++ and OpenCV.