President2013 - PRESENTBlackwater Pragmatic
- Provided full-stack development specializing in legacy application enhancement as well as new product development for a B2B eCommerce solution with approximately 10,000 users. Architected of a variety of solutions - including secure microservice and REST web service implementations utilizing a wide variety of storage and messaging technologies while leveraging Amazon Web Service (AWS) scalable infrastructure components. In addition, distributed application components provided integration with SAP and several third-party vendors to provide feedback to the internal customer support sales staff as well as enhance the end-user experience.
- Oversaw the delivery of Java and Node.js solutions. Responsible for mentoring and guiding the development team, performing code reviews, and ensuring the overall quality of deliverables. Continuously reviewed the software development process to improve the frequency, stability, and repeatability of releases. Achieved success in expanding the use of automated testing tools and change/release management software.
- Served as the sprint manager responsible for leading task management and estimation discussions between technical teams and business stakeholders. Tasked with setting project schedule and managing customer expectations, while also motivating the technical team to deliver high-quality software on time and budget.
- Provided DevOps, release, and production support - finding ways to deliver more automation, better analytics, and real-time monitoring capabilities.
- Spearheaded the initiative to add chaos engineering concepts to mission-critical enterprise applications. Spring Boot, Resilience4J, and Chaos Monkey combined to help provide the framework architecture for this solution. Performance and resiliency were verified through Gatling load tests.
Senior Software Engineer 2013 - 2014Negawatt Business Solutions
- Led enhancement and maintenance of third party custom software application critical to the success of the business. Implemented several performance improvements and refactored code to meet software best practices.
- Researched and developed a prototype architecture for new applications. Dove deep into many new technologies for next-generation application stack including Cassandra, MongoDB, Dart, Google Go, ZeroMQ, and RabbitMQ.
Senior Software Engineer2007 - 2014CTG
- Dedicated driver acting as a project manager and technical leader for a team developing software as a service (SaaS) solutions following Agile software development practices.
- Mentored a team of engineers with a focus to "bridge the gap" between educational and professional development. Topics included software patterns, debugging, profiling, version control, unit testing, and overall code quality.
- Developed rich-internet-application (RIA) interfaces in FLEX and GWT/AJAX. Database design combines JPA with elements of Ruby on Rails to create a flexible ORM layer.
- Leveraged Spring Security, OpenSSO/OpenAM, and LDAP to provide authentication and authorization with single sign-on (SSO) capabilities.
- Implemented ontology-based solutions for semantic applications written using SPARQL and Jena.
- Served as an integral member of the team contracted to deliver SOA solution to a leading healthcare provider. Leveraged Sun's JCAPS to automate business processes and integrate legacy systems through a combination of JMS, MQ, web services, and traditional database components.
- Piloted process to unit test and profile SOA components with the goal of identifying performance bottlenecks and implementation of targeted enhancements. Developed generic X12 EDI parser framework to process and customize the various message structures common in Health Care implementations.
- Led data integration efforts with Dun & Bradstreet and Experian, defining API and troubleshooting data quality issues.
Owner2009 - 2010Ask About The Mouse
- Founded AskAboutTheMouse.com, a Stack Exchange-based site designed to help users get answers to their Disney related questions. Gained experience in community building, customer service, and managing Google ad campaigns.
- Leveraged social media tools to help promote the site and encourage user adoption.
Senior Software Engineer2005 - 2007Janya Inc.
- Responsible for leading the development of a web application targeted to showcase the abilities of Janya’s Information Extraction technology. JavaServer Faces (JSF) and CSS combined to provide a flexible layout and presentation.
- Architected client-side application to configure and monitor Janya’s Information Extraction engine. Eclipse RCP chosen to provide a cross-platform user experience. SOAP/XML web services communicated with distributed engine components.
- Leveraged Spring and Hibernate to access application's MySQL database. Completed integration effort with third party client-side applications. Responsible for identifying MySQL database performance bottlenecks and implementing database improvements. Used Ruby and Rails to quickly prototype and test solutions.
- Initiated the usage of a project wiki to help capture feature ideas, document design decisions, and track milestones. Simplicity and accessibility made this concept a winner.
- Created a XMPP (Jabber) chat room monitor in Ruby, reporting to a Java REST web service.
Analyst Business Systems2004 - 2005HSBC USA
Technologies: SQL, Jakarta EE, Jakarta EE Design Patterns, Java
- Maintained several business automation systems serving large retail clients. Applied Rational Unified Process (RUP) principles to maintain and enhance Websphere hosted applications. Frequent collaboration with teams in remote locations to define project requirements, provide estimates, and track status.
Software Engineer2000 - 2003Cymfony Inc
Technologies: WSDL, Jakarta EE, Jakarta EE Design Patterns, Ant, Business Portals, SQL, Oracle, CORBA, C++, JSP, Java
- Teamed with senior management to identify business requirements and create system specifications. Leveraged Struts to create components for deployment on Silverstream’s portal server. Created scalable database access libraries in Java. Helped to tune and optimize Oracle database tables and queries. Initiated development of Ant scripts to automate build process.
- Developed CORBA C++ modules for distributed Information Extraction engine.
Senior Engineer1997 - 2000Amherst Systems Inc.
Technologies: Make, Ada, C++
- Part of a team responsible for developing an integrated EW simulation system. Created a flexible library of reusable C++ utility classes (pre-STL) and converted several Ada libraries to C++. Refined make scripts to improve automated build process. Organized weekly team meetings to discuss issues, development progress, and concerns.
Application Programmer1996 - 1997M&T Bank
- Completed custom reports and made several enhancements to bank's deposit applications.