Consultant2018 - PRESENTIndependent
- Performed Go software development in a microservices architecture. Set up infrastructure as code using Terraform and migrated from Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and AWS to Azure.
- Participated in the migration from monolithic JEE architecture to Go microservices-based architecture.
- Integrated payment systems, such as Elavon and Ingenico.
- Ensured PCI compliance by revisiting code, ensuring log compliance, and reviewing deployment architecture.
- Developed Python notebooks using pandas for forecast analysis of the growth team.
Professor2005 - 2018Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie
Technologies: Swift, Play, Scala, Apache Struts, Git, Spring, JEE, Java, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Spring Boot, Architecture, Microservices
- Taught Java, Scala, Objective-C, and Swift programming, algorithm design, data structures, web development, and software quality to students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Mentored a group of 55 students in the development of iOS applications.
- Coordinated research on the use of mobile technologies for STEM education in elementary schools.
- Supervised undergraduate work on mobile development, software engineering, software quality, and frameworks.
- Participated in different research projects applying innovation and information technology to provide digital transformation and disruptive technologies for different verticals, like law, finances, and general management.
- Lectured Innovation and Entrepreneurship and mentored students in an incubator program.
Senior Software Engineer, Head of Brazil's Branch2014 - 2016Infillion (formerly The Mobile Majority)
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Ruby on Rails (RoR), Heroku, Apache Kafka, Play, Elasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB, Spark, Hadoop, Scala, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), CI/CD Pipelines, Unit Testing, Integration Testing, Spring Boot, Caching, Architecture, Microservices, APIs
- Collaborated with the development team on a bidding and big data analytics platform.
- Set up and managed the TMM branch in Brazil, including legal, accounting, tax, HR, budget, and financial reports.
- Migrated the infrastructure from bare metal on SoftLayer to a cloud-based on AWS, bringing improvements in the performance and savings of over 30%.
- Contributed to the migration of the platform's parts from Ruby on Rails (RoR) to Scala.
- Mentored and led the Brazilian development team working on data engineering, RTB, and DevOps.
Consultant2010 - 2013Vortex Technologies
Technologies: RabbitMQ, Scrum, Apache Velocity, Confluence, Jira, Ant, Maven, JUnit, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Subversion (SVN), RESTEasy, Hibernate, Apache Struts 2, Spring, Scala, Jetty, JBoss, JEE, Java, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), CI/CD Pipelines, Unit Testing, Integration Testing, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Spring Boot, Architecture, APIs
- Performed as an IT consultant to several companies, helping them define architecture and design and develop their web applications.
- Collaborated with two main hosting companies in Brazil, a major player in eCommerce payment systems and an insurance company.
- Developed scalable applications using Java, Scala, and Python.
CTO2008 - 2010Hollywood Movie Magic/Serendipia
Technologies: SugarCRM, Ajax, Apache Velocity, HTML5, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Struts 2, Joomla, MySQL, WordPress, PHP, Maven, Ant, Apache Tomcat, JEE, Java, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Architecture
- Implemented new CRM and accounting systems using open-source solutions for 60% of the code.
- Maximized savings on software licensing and services costs.
- Changed account bookkeeping methods to allow double entry recording and to comply with the needs of American and Mexican investors.
- Implemented a print at home web system that allows customers to print movie tickets at home using the website.
- Created several websites for the company's clients.
Consultant2007 - 2007Locaweb
Technologies: Apache Struts, JSP, Subversion (SVN), Hibernate, Spring, JEE, Java, Asterisk, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), CI/CD Pipelines, Unit Testing, Integration Testing, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Architecture
- Transferred and integrated technology of Vortex Workforce into Locaweb's VoIP call center product.
- Redesigned product architecture to increase its scalability.
- Implemented an Agile development process using XP.
- Developed a feed from Asterisk logs to produce business intelligence (BI) reports.
Chief Technology Officer2003 - 2007Vortex Workforce
Technologies: GLPK, JNI, Avaya AES, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Apache Struts, Ant, Apache Tomcat, Spring, Java, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), CI/CD Pipelines, Unit Testing, Integration Testing, Full-stack, Architecture
- Worked with marketing and sales to target new customers.
- Acted as product manager and main architect, defining the features and architecture for the final product.
- Developed a Web 2.0 application that integrated Avaya's ACD to forecast call volumes and provide optimal work schedules for agents in a call center using the Monte Carlo method and linear programming techniques.
- Managed development, operations, and support teams.
- Negotiated product spin-out to Locaweb.
Professor2002 - 2005Sumare College
Technologies: JEE, Apache Struts, JSP, PMI, Java, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Architecture
- Supervised undergraduate theses.
- Taught courses on Java development, project management, web development, data structures, software engineering, and advanced topics in computer science.
Systems Architect2000 - 2001DirecTV
Technologies: IBM Rational Rose, Web Services, Siebel, SAP, Oracle Tuxedo, WebLogic, JEE, Java, XP, Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Architecture
- Developed highly scalable enterprise application integration (EAI) systems to integrate billing (mainframe), inventory (SAP), CRM (Siebel), and satellite communications systems. The integrated systems were exposed to stakeholders through different channels, including web applications, IVR, and web services.
- Designed and tested different architectures under high volume to meet pay-per-view scalability requirements.
- Led and mentored a 20-person development team including developers, testers, and technical writers.
Systems Architect1999 - 2000General Reinsurance
Technologies: JDBC, JSP, Servlet, Sybase, WebLogic, IBM Rational Rose, Jakarta EE, Java, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Architecture
- Developed a turnkey B2B portal to quote and sell reinsurance.
- Interfaced with clients to determine product requirements and negotiate project schedules.
- Managed projects for a ten-person development team.
- Interviewed and hired new software developers for the company.
- Designed and implemented a scalable and robust J2EE architecture using WebLogic.
- Refactored, improved, and integrated key parts of a legacy system.
Software Engineer1999 - 1999Philips
Technologies: Oracle, HDDL Plugin, C++
- Developed a speech recognition application for Vodafone (known as Omnitel – Italy).
- Gathered requirements and wrote technical documents for the software companies involved in the project.
- Designed and implemented system modules using HDDL (a proprietary language), C++ and Oracle 8.
- Implemented demos in Portuguese and Spanish and acted as a sales/support engineer for Latin America.
Software Engineer1998 - 1999Oldballgame.com
Technologies: HTML, Perl, Java
- Developed a college recruting website for athletes.
- Designed the software using UML.
- Programmed in PERL, Java, and HTML.
- Trained other team members in object-oriented programming and Java.
Software Engineer1996 - 1998Hast Technologies
Technologies: JDBC, IBM Informix, Erwin, Java, IBM Rational Rose, Delphi
- Designed and developed several modules of a business process control and decision support system for a paper factory.
- Gathered requirements using CRC techniques.
- Designed software using Rational Rose and ErWin.
- Coordinated a four-person development and QA team.