Verified Expert in Engineering
Vitaly is a senior web application developer with more than two decades of professional experience, working primarily with Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL. He is comfortable working as a team lead and as an individual contributor. Vitaly loves solving technical challenges, but his main focus is to understand business needs and provide significant value for modern business as a whole. He believes the most amazing thing about modern technologies is how they change our world.
MacOS, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Docker Compose, Ruby
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was a logistics system to track millions of parcels in real time on their way from China to Russia.
Senior Back-end Engineer
- Scoped and refined software engineering tasks in Jira. Discussed technical problems and approaches with a software architect.
- Implemented JSON event producers and consumers for two-way async communication between Toptal applications using Kafka, Karafka, and Restforce.
- Implemented back-end API queries and mutations using a GraphQL API and corresponding front-end API clients using TypeScript and React.
- Added and implemented back-end workers using Sidekiq and Redis.
- Implemented a few performance monitoring tasks in Grafana.
Senior Web Application Developer
ATC Air Service
- Implemented a Ruby on Rails (RoR) app to process order status change events of parcels on their way from China to Russia. Started from a minimum viable product (MVP) and production and rapidly scaled it to process millions of events in real time.
- Implemented a consumer for postal bag data from a Hong Kong Post API using SOAP XML.
- Designed and implemented a flexible pricing solution based on the logistics route, logistics channel, service level, and period of validity.
- Created and implemented REST APIs for partner integrations, including Russian Post and the Federal Customs Service.
Senior Web Application Developer
- Developed a marketplace for mobile phone unlocking codes, gathering multiple partner API integrations and providing a REST API for the resellers.
- Built an RoR back end for the Campus Movie Fest (CMF) web application.
- Created a poker game statistics application to collect the results of individual poker games.
- Developed an eCommerce marketplace similar to Etsy.
Senior Web Application Developer | Team Lead
Venere Net S.r.l.
- Migrated an internet hotel reservation engine from Allaire ColdFusion to PHP.
- Implemented SOAP XML API consumers for third-party API integrations.
- Designed and implemented a hotel review and hotel rating solution.
- Implemented a custom database query caching layer in PHP.
Logistics API Service
Here is a brief list of tasks and responsibilities:
• consuming API events using XML parser
• consuming postal bags data from Hong Kong Post API (SOAP XML)
• design and implementation of flexible pricing solution based on the logistics route, logistics channel, service level, and period of validity
• design and implementation of a custom billing solution
• design and implementation of user access groups and policies
• design and implementation of REST APIs for partner integrations, including Russian Post and Russian Customs
• producing API integration events using JSON and XML
• performance scaling and optimizations
• performance and endurance testing with a simulated load
• generating CSV and Excel reports on the back end
This applications enabled many new logistics routes from China to Russia, resulting in millions of parcels delivered much faster than before with fewer losses and better tracking of every parcel and every bag on their route from China to Russia.
This was the most prominent project of my professional career.
REST API Solution for Unlocking.comhttp://www.unlocking.com
I implemented the following parts:
• Client API integrations
• REST API for reselling unlocking codes
• An admin interface to configure reselling logic and flexible pricing for each of the supported phone brands
• Error handling
• Reporting functionality
This application significantly increased eCommerce sales of unlocking phone codes on many markets, including eBay.
Stocks Arbitrage Trading bot
• fetch and parse stocks prices from Hong Kong and China
• fetch and parse CNY/USD and HKD/USD exchange rates
• calculated predicted prices for corresponding ADR shares traded on NYSE
• submitted "long" and "short" orders to Tinkoff Investing broker thru custom REST API client
• error reporting and handling
• admin reports and management functions using ActiveAdmin gem
This bot earned thousands of USD for both of us, and it worked until February 2022, when Tinkoff broker ceased operations with ADR shares that we traded.
Ruby, XML, GraphQL, PHP
Ruby on Rails (RoR)
Cucumber, Docker Compose, NGINX, Grafana
REST, Database Design, Database Development
Redis, JSON, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase
Sidekiq, Ruby on Rails API
MacOS, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Apache Kafka
Software Engineering, IT Systems Engineering, Algorithms, Data Structures, SOAP
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Tomsk State University of Control Systems and Radioelectronics - Tomsk, Russia
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring