Software Developer II2020 - 2020Emerson
Technologies: Microsoft Teams, SmartBear Collaborator, Ubuntu Linux, Perforce, Jira, C++
- Upgraded two plugins in SKUA-GOCAD, a leading software package for integrated seismic, geological, and reservoir modeling, from version 17 to 19. Worked on C++ codes, Qt-based GUI, and ECMA scripts (CLI).
- Reviewed code changes by other team members and provided valuable comments by using SmartBear Collaborator.
- Tested new version of plugins. Reported and fixed bugs by using Jira as a reporting and issue tracking tool, and MS Teams for communications.
- Identified missing details on the use of internal tools and made aupdates on Confluence.
Senior Software Engineer2017 - 2020Integrated Informatics
Technologies: HDF5, PyQt 5, PyQt, TFS Work Items, TFS, Git, CMake, SWIG, C#, C++11, C++14, C++17, C++, Python 2, Python 3
- Wrote a C++ wrapper for an HDF file and upgraded other C++ classes and methods to utilize the HDF file for fast loading. Refactored codes to improve the performance, especially for net drive. Loading times were improved by up to two orders.
- Added a PyQt widget to display and edit data in a table. Added other controls to facilitate the data edition and retrieval. Users could easily identify and correct outlier data points, track the changes, and compare the impacts.
- Added a feature to include an additional type of data (i.e., compositional) for history match. As a result, compositional field data can be utilized to improve the prediction model based on history match.
- Upgraded and refactored the perforation and well completion model. The upgrade fixed potential bugs and improved the models to reflect the actual physics.
Contractor2018 - 2018RevoChem
Technologies: PyQt 5, Python 3
- Designed and developed a PyQt-based UI for data processing. Provided a convenient tool for RevoChem.
- Implemented the data analysis and summary reports per requirements. Validated the earlier data analysis.
- Advised on the strategy for software development for the start-up company RevoChem.
Developer2014 - 2016Kappa Engineering
Technologies: C#.NET, C++
- Developed a new feature to create 3D geometries and embedding grids for discrete fracture network (DFN) to reservoir simulation grids using the Vonoroi techniques. This is a critical work for stochastic simulation of complex yet realistic DFNs.
- Developed a new feature for fracture with realistic yet uneven widths based on rock mechanics.
- Developed a new feature to consider capillary effects on phase equilibrium for compositional fluid. Added the feature to the simulation engine. This confined PVT is critical for a reliable compositional simulation for shale oil and condensate.
- Developed a new feature to robustly compute the critical point (temperature and pressure) on the phase diagram for a given composition. Fixed the incorrect phase identification.
Postdoctoral Research Associate2009 - 2013University of North Texas
Technologies: Perl, Python 2
- Modified Python scripts to extract data from output files and process the data for thermochemical models. Wrote scripts for data analysis on thermochemical models and other metrics for transition metals. Published highly cited journal articles.
- Wrote Perl scripts for automation of batch HPC job submissions.
- Tutored summer students and junior graduate students on research. Two of them were also co-authored peer-reviewed journal publications.